Awnings & Rain

darwen

We have a Fleetwood Heritage 640. We have recently purchased a new Ventura Awning. No matter how we try we cannot stop the water ponding in the roof during heavy rain (we also had the same problem with our previous awning). We have put the roof storm poles in to try and aleviate this but without success. Are we just stupid or doing something basicly wrong. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Joan.

http://www. google. com/search?q=Ventura+Awn. ..amp;rlz=1I7HPEA

Take alook at this site for your kind of awning it should help you.

Dear Net,

Thanks very much. We think we know what we are doing wrong now. We will try next time and see if it helps. I knew this forum would help.

Joan.

We have a Fleetwood Heritage 640. We have recently purchased a new Ventura Awning. No matter how we try we cannot stop the water ponding in the roof during heavy rain (we also had the same problem with our previous awning). We have put the roof storm poles in to try and aleviate this but without success. Are we just stupid or doing something basicly wrong. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Joan.

Hi Joan

Just seen your questions ref your Ventura awning. You don't say what model or size. We have just put up a new Ventura Atlantic (250 depth) for the first time. We are currently at Delamere Forest C&C Club Site. The awning is looking ok for structure and tautness and our first night here it wellied it down and nothing ponded on the roof. Ours is a fairly largish awning 1075 with 5 roof poles. If you are still having problems, happy to listen and advise as much as I can.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

Our Pyramid Tuscany awning suffers from this and it is the first time I have ever seen it. We got up one bright morning, opened the door and found both front corners of the awning bulging with gallons of water and about to burst. It has happened a few times since then and it is a three roof pole awning. To help aleviate the problem I tie a tight rope from the left roof pole, across the centre pole and over right roof pole - parallel to the front and about two feet inboard of it.

I think the cause seems to be the lack of slope - the centre vertical pole is not much longer than the the other two side poles, hence drainage slope could be better. If the rain comes down fast enough and with not much wind to shake the awning roof panels, it rapidly collects.

If there is some better solution, then I would be interested in hearing of it.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

Our Pyramid Tuscany awning suffers from this and it is the first time I have ever seen it. We got up one bright morning, opened the door and found both front corners of the awning bulging with gallons of water and about to burst. It has happened a few times since then and it is a three roof pole awning. To help aleviate the problem I tie a tight rope from the left roof pole, across the centre pole and over right roof pole - parallel to the front and about two feet inboard of it.

I think the cause seems to be the lack of slope - the centre vertical pole is not much longer than the the other two side poles, hence drainage slope could be better. If the rain comes down fast enough and with not much wind to shake the awning roof panels, it rapidly collects.

If there is some better solution, then I would be interested in hearing of it.

Your center pole should have an extra piece of pipe about 2 foot in length. This is what makes it taller than the sides.

Your center pole should have an extra piece of pipe about 2 foot in length. This is what makes it taller than the sides.

It has the 2 foot piece, I use it and still get the ponding. The canvas material of the front only allows you to raise the centre up so far - I raise it the maximum the canvas will allow, yet it still doesn't allow a fast enough run off.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

If the roof puddles it is usually because there is a lack of tension in the sides of the awning caused by the awning being slightly too big for the van. Awnings are made to fit a range of legth in about 25cm intervals and it is usual for say a 925cm awning to fit a rail that is 813 to 937cm. This being the case the only way for it to be done and to get the tension into the awning is to pull the corners out as far as possible and to pull the sides out at an angle to give an area as large as possible inside the awning. Unfortunately if the ground rises away from the caravan it is very difficult sometimes to get sufficient height and sufficient tension on the awning, for this reason a slightly small awning is much better than one which is slightly too big.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

If the roof puddles it is usually because there is a lack of tension in the sides of the awning caused by the awning being slightly too big for the van. Awnings are made to fit a range of legth in about 25cm intervals and it is usual for say a 925cm awning to fit a rail that is 813 to 937cm. This being the case the only way for it to be done and to get the tension into the awning is to pull the corners out as far as possible and to pull the sides out at an angle to give an area as large as possible inside the awning. Unfortunately if the ground rises away from the caravan it is very difficult sometimes to get sufficient height and sufficient tension on the awning, for this reason a slightly small awning is much better than one which is slightly too big.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your advice. We will try out these ideas next time we put up the awning. With good old British weather we should get some rain soon to test it out.

Joan :)

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your advice. We will try out these ideas next time we put up the awning. With good old British weather we should get some rain soon to test it out.

Joan :)

P. .S. our awning is 1075 with 5 roof poles. (i. e. including storm poles).

Joan