Spare Wheel...

mikeyboy

Hi,

I am struggling to find a spare wheel for my 1989 Abbey Lincoln 2 berth. I have looked on ebay and cannot seem to find anything suitable. It looks like I wil have to fork out for a brand new one, but again am struggling to find one.

The specs are:

From tyre: 175 R 13C 94/92N

The wheel: 100mm PCD, 4 bolts.

Does anyone know anywhere to purchase this type? I have tried towsure and Riversway leisure to no avail.

Thanks

Mike

Have you tried to take a wheel off and take it to nearest scrappy and see if it will fit any car, then you can go from there.

Hi there Ridge Rider,

Thanks for your reply,

That's a good idea, I will try and get up there on a day off next week. I seem to be able to find most other sizes online, blinkin typical!

:-)

There are lots of online tyre/wheel dealers, it's just hard finding ones which do caravan/trailer types!

The specs are:

In addition to the specification you give, you will also have to consider the wheel offset. This is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel, and can be one of three types.

Zero - The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive - The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel.

Negative - The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline.

Wheel_Offset_Images.jpg

If you are looking at second hand wheels from a scrap yard, start by looking at the older cars as these tend to have less offset than newer cars. Finally, ensure that you inspect the wheel thoroughly for impact damage to the rim before committing to buy.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

In addition to the specification you give, you will also have to consider the wheel offset. This is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel, and can be one of three types.

Zero - The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive - The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel.

Negative - The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline.

post-6-1240057999_thumb.jpg

If you are looking at second hand wheels from a scrap yard, start by looking at the older cars as these tend to have less offset than newer cars. Finally, ensure that you inspect the wheel thoroughly for impact damage to the rim before committing to buy.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your help.

Is any of the above more common than the others in later 80s early 90s vans??

Nothing is ever straight forward is it!!!! :-)

Thanks again

Mike

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for your help.

Nothing is ever straight forward is it!!!! :-)

Thanks again

Mike

Hi i think you'll find that older vauxhall's have 4 stud 100cm p. c. d. ,and i think early leyland/bmc cars aswell.

Brett

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

I used to own a 1967 Elddis, and I believe the wheels on that were from a mid to late 50's Ford, probably a Prefect or a 100E Anglia. Whatever the donor vehicle the offsert was virtually zero. On a later (1988) caravan the offset was still minimal (pos) but the wheels were marketed as "trailer" wheels and a spare was easily obtained (and cheap) through my local dealer.

As suggested above, Thompson caravans used BMC wheels, with the Mini Glen (as the name suggests) using Mini wheels.

To find an appropriate spare I think you'll just have to go to the scrap yard, armed with your tape measure and a straight edge to lay across the wheel rim to measure to/from.

Happy hunting,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Caravan wheels have 30mm offset (ET30). Front wheel drive car wheels will be completely different offsets. Another factor is the hole in the centre which fits over the hub. And rim width needs consdering. A 175 tyre needs a 5J or 5½J.

So the OP is looking for a. .... 13".... 5 or 5½J. ..4 stud . ....100mm PCD. ...with a suitable centre hole which = a standard caravan wheel. New from any Dealer or second hand from caravan breaker is the best (only?) source.

Hi,

I am struggling to find a spare wheel for my 1989 Abbey Lincoln 2 berth. I have looked on ebay and cannot seem to find anything suitable. It looks like I wil have to fork out for a brand new one, but again am struggling to find one.

The specs are:

Hi Mike,

Be careful. Older BMC cars used 4"PCD, which is something like 101mm. Wheels may be interchangable if holes are big enough, but that doesn't mean they fit. Most foriegn small cars use 100mm PCD, and probably later UK small cars.

Just a thought. .....emegency spare wheel. Are they available in this size (13") wheel? Would they be allowed on a caravan? Should avoid the off-set problem, but raises other advantages/disadvantages.

Try a big tyre bay, they usually have a few old wheels lying around, and one would expect them to have some technical knowledge. ...and want to sell you a new tyre.

New wheel? Get the TOWSURE catalogue.

Hi,

The specs are:

Does anyone know anywhere to purchase this type? I have tried towsure and Riversway leisure to no avail.

Thanks

Mike

You have a PM

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

I've got one :)

Its off an Abbey Devon & its complete with a Avon supervan tyre. .......probably the origanal so it will nead replacing

Ill be fishing near Penistone next Sunday if you want it

Hi,

The specs are:

Thanks

Mike

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 4 weeks later...

I've still got this spare wheel if anyone wants it, its a shame to skip it.

Rotherham, Barnsley, Donny area

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)