Gas Awning Heater

Adi

Does anyone know of / use a gas awning heater that could be attached to the external barbecue point ?

I have an electric heater but thought gas may be option when ampage low etc. .

Opions appreciated

Hi,

I can't comment on personal experience, but I would seriously consider not putting a gas appliance in an enclosed awning for safety reasons.

so I hope someone else can shed some light on the matter

Ant

Atom

If it sounds too good to be true-----it probably is !!!

Put very simply. .....NO

It would be an accident waiting to happen,,,,,probably a fatal one.

If you do decide to do it, PLEASE let those near you know so that they can move away from your van

Edited by Brecon

Does anyone know of / use a gas awning heater that could be attached to the external barbecue point ?

I have an electric heater but thought gas may be option when ampage low etc. .

Opions appreciated

Hi Adi

It would only be a people heater as the awning has no insulation to retain heat and so would be costly to run,

but more to the point is hugely dangerous to have a gas heater in a confined space, you can easily imagine the

carnage if it got knoched over - dont do it.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Guest Surfer

When we were living permanently in our caravan, we used a De Longhi gas heater in our awning for over 2 years with no problem as it is NOT an accident waiting to happen and is just as safe as using the gas heater in your caravan. You can run it off the outside BBQ point which is what we did initially before going for a stand alone bottle on its own. You will find that if you use the gas stove in the caravan while the gas heater is being fed from the same bottle via the BBQ point that there will seem to be a lack of pressure on the gas stove.

Obviously those that are scaremongering have never used one in their awning and IMHO is safer than using one at home in an enclosed space. Many seasonal people use gas heaters in their awnings however there is only one drawback and that due to condensation more than likely you will get mildew forming on the inside roof of the awning unless you take measures to prevent this happening. Screwfix sell a type of foil blanket on a roll and you could use this to insulate your roof and it also keeps the awning warmer.

I use a "bullfinch superglow heater" & I find that if the vent is open at the top of the awning this keeps condensation to a minimum.

You know who'll be in your awning (kids dogs etc) so I'll leave it up to you to decide if its safe or not,

Superglow-MED.jpg

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

When we were living permanently in our caravan, we used a De Longhi gas heater in our awning for over 2 years with no problem as it is NOT an accident waiting to happen and is just as safe as using the gas heater in your caravan. You can run it off the outside BBQ point which is what we did initially before going for a stand alone bottle on its own. You will find that if you use the gas stove in the caravan while the gas heater is being fed from the same bottle via the BBQ point that there will seem to be a lack of pressure on the gas stove.

Obviously those that are scaremongering have never used one in their awning and IMHO is safer than using one at home in an enclosed space. Many seasonal people use gas heaters in their awnings however there is only one drawback and that due to condensation more than likely you will get mildew forming on the inside roof of the awning unless you take measures to prevent this happening. Screwfix sell a type of foil blanket on a roll and you could use this to insulate your roof and it also keeps the awning warmer.

Hi Surfer

So if Adi has a problem you'll pay out then?

neil

Guest madrat

I cant see a problem. they are used on rallys in party tents all the time. Just be sensible and make sure the exits are clear. this is the best sort to use as the heat is evenly dispersed.

010412020.jpg

Hi Surfer

So if Adi has a problem you'll pay out then?

neil

Surfer

I don't understand your question as it makes absolutely no sense!

Hi Surfer

I was simply wondering that if the awning burns down and several people are badly burned you'll

pay out compensation because you said it's safe is all. ..

neil

Guest Surfer
Hi Surfer

I was simply wondering that if the awning burns down and several people are badly burned you'll

pay out compensation because you said it's safe is all. ..

neil

Now that I understand your question, it has to be the most ridiculous questions ever asked on this forum and has had me in fits on laughter ever since. :D:D:D Keep up with the good jokes as we need them.

• 1 year later...
I use a "bullfinch superglow heater" & I find that if the vent is open at the top of the awning this keeps condensation to a minimum.

You know who'll be in your awning (kids dogs etc) so I'll leave it up to you to decide if its safe or not,

Hello,

Does this have Piezo / Electric igntion? I

I am thinking of buying one.

Jason

I guess that the people who reckon it's dangerous to run a gas heater in a (drafty) awning, obviously don't use their gas hobs and ovens in their van either, as it must be equally dangerous??

Freelander SD4, & 2014 Swift Ace Statesman

I guess that the people who reckon it's dangerous to run a gas heater in a (drafty) awning, obviously don't use their gas hobs and ovens in their van either, as it must be equally dangerous??

And they also think the gas fire in their lounge & gas cooker in the (home) kitchen are dangerous!

Those trying to "outgun" each other on Elf n' safety are the reason we have ridiculous rules

and "filling out risk assessments on the dangers of filling out risk assessments!!

If kept away from combustibles and that all-to-rare common sense is used there should be no

problem.

Marc.

And they also think the gas fire in their lounge & gas cooker in the (home) kitchen are dangerous!

Those trying to "outgun" each other on Elf n' safety are the reason we have ridiculous rules

and "filling out risk assessments on the dangers of filling out risk assessments!!

If kept away from combustibles and that all-to-rare common sense is used there should be no

problem.

Marc.

Fitted gas fires and hob/ovens can't be knocked over.

Open gas fires were banned in caravans for a good reason - the number of fatalities directly associated with them.

If you're cold, sit in the caravan and put the room-sealed heating on - simples.

IMO there is no problem with a gas heater in an awning."it could get knocked over and start a fire" yeah it could also get struck by lightning. And i suppose everybody would sit there and let it burn down. Lets be a bit more realistic here. A gas heater is no more of a risk than an electric heater in an awning.

peter.

volvo xc90t6/coachman laser 590/4 running at 80%

In cool late summer evenings we all sat around a gas-fired light

like this.

http://www. towsure. com/product/14827

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hello,

Does this have Piezo / Electric igntion? I

I am thinking of buying one.

Jason

The one I bought hasn't I dont know about the new ones,

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

A gas heater is no more of a risk than an electric heater in an awning.

peter.

I would agree that used properly (the crux of the matter) a gas heater should be safe for use in awnings but I would tend to disagree slightly with the above statement as a non catlytic gas fire can be much more of a risk than an electric fire,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I am considering using one of the 'red-devil' type heaters for heating the awning when I return to the UK in the New Year and return also to owning a caravan.

For those of you who recoil in horror at the thought, let me tell you that whilst a member of the Armed Forces we routinely used these types of heater, albeit the much larger versions, at Christmas parties that were usually held in marquees or tents.

Each venue had to be checked by the local Fire Brigade before we could have the event and the only time I recall them raising a concern was the occasion when we were a little over-enthusiastic with using wihite parachutes and camouflage nets to create the winter-wonderland effect. The Fire Brigade never had any problems with us using the gas burners as they complied with fire regulations and we used them sensibly.

It is a wonder that our grandfathers and fathers ever survived any form of caravanning with all the 'dangerous' stuff they used to do. Irresponsible behaviour that endangers others is legislated for, beyond legislation there are guidelines, beyond guidelines there is the application of common sense. It seems we are losing the ability to apply common sense and too often seek the protection of others to formulate guidelines that although are just that (guidelines) we try and treat as 'rules'. Towing ratio, noseweight, connecting to EHU procedure, etc are all guidelines which I personally support but we have to accept them for what they are - guidance, not rules.

For a previous poster to imply that someone should be financially responsible for someone else's accident probably says more about them and the litigeous society we now seem to live in.

Rant over, back to the cricket!

Bellerophon (commenting from the sand dunes of Arabia)

Now in Italy

Three years ago one of my mates was running a rally. .something he does about 15 times and year and forever. ....he had a small freestanding fire and bottle attached in the awning as normal. .......3am the fire went/the awning went/the caravan went. ..and so nearly did he and good lady. .........seepage from bottle had caused it. ...............

No I wouldn't risk it unless I split the bottle and the fire down each night and left bottle outside. .likewise if attached to BBQ point. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Beautifully said. Well done!

I am considering using one of the 'red-devil' type heaters for heating the awning when I return to the UK in the New Year and return also to owning a caravan.

For those of you who recoil in horror at the thought, let me tell you that whilst a member of the Armed Forces we routinely used these types of heater, albeit the much larger versions, at Christmas parties that were usually held in marquees or tents.

Each venue had to be checked by the local Fire Brigade before we could have the event and the only time I recall them raising a concern was the occasion when we were a little over-enthusiastic with using wihite parachutes and camouflage nets to create the winter-wonderland effect. The Fire Brigade never had any problems with us using the gas burners as they complied with fire regulations and we used them sensibly.

It is a wonder that our grandfathers and fathers ever survived any form of caravanning with all the 'dangerous' stuff they used to do. Irresponsible behaviour that endangers others is legislated for, beyond legislation there are guidelines, beyond guidelines there is the application of common sense. It seems we are losing the ability to apply common sense and too often seek the protection of others to formulate guidelines that although are just that (guidelines) we try and treat as 'rules'. Towing ratio, noseweight, connecting to EHU procedure, etc are all guidelines which I personally support but we have to accept them for what they are - guidance, not rules.

For a previous poster to imply that someone should be financially responsible for someone else's accident probably says more about them and the litigeous society we now seem to live in.

Ern

Hi,

Some good points well made, but I would like to add a couple of observations:

I would agree that the correct type of fire used in the correct manner in a, presumably, fire retardent tent/marquee is not a problem.

But I would have thought that an open type gas fire in a small enclosed awning with children/animals, drunken adults, present may not be as safe.

It is a wonder that our grandfathers and fathers ever survived any form of caravanning with all the 'dangerous' stuff they used to do.

Some didn't, though over recent times all fire deaths have reduced generally year on year due to improvements in various areas.

It is interesting to note that over recent years Firefighter deaths have risen which appears to coincide with cuts in personnel, time allocated for training etc.

Oh how right you are! Somebody claimed against me because I collided with him when out driving. Justifiable you may think until tell you that he walked into the side of my car, resulting in a bruised elbow, but what really gallled me that he was a fully trained breakdown mechanic! What price his Health and Safety training?

I do think that Health and Safety has a place in our lives but is subject to ridicule and contampt in some corners due to overzealousness by those who are paid to apply the rules. Certain people are given power to make decisions, unfortunately they appear not to have been given the power of common sense. In my working life I always used H&S guidelines to mitigate risk whereas there are those who try to use the Regs to remove all risk, which is simply not possible as life can be a risky business and it's certainly not possible to legislate to remove all risk from our lives.

You mention cricket, can you imagine an overzealous H&S inspector imposing their will on cricket? Sorry lads those stumps are too sharp so wrap them in foam oh yes by the way glue the bails on in case anybody gets hit by them. That ball is too hard so you will have to play with a foam one and only bowl underarm at speeds of less than 50mph :D !

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Catalytic heaters are safest, no naked flame, go out when oxygen content to feed it is too low and when tilted, around £90. 00 new . Condensation will be a problem with any gas heating system . Some site owners ban electric awning heaters but not gas . I bet it isn`t on safety grounds !

Old C5 2. 0 Hdi estate 2002, Old Cpmpass Omega Elite 510-5 1991, Old everything but still `Olding on. ...........

• 8 months later...