M25 On Friday Evenings (7-9pm)

iancwilx

Have any of you guys have experience of what the M25 is like on a Friday evening between 7pm and 9pm ?

I'm going anti clockwise off the M1 down to the junction with the M3 somewhere near Woking.

If it's "Murder" is there a viable route say coming off the M1 at J19 and cutting to the M40 and then cutting across to the M3 or will that be just as time consuming as the M1 ?

I'm going to Southampton by the way.

Any advice gratefully received,

Cheers,

- Wilkie

I would avoid the M25 especially on a Friday, come off the M1 at J15a take the A43 to the M40 head south for one junction and take the A34 down to Southampton, the only bad bits are the M40 for one junction and getting past Oxford. You can get to Oxford from the A43 junction bypassing the M40 by using the old A43 if you choose by using the B430 through Middleton Stony, Road works on the A34 at Oxford but the delays at that time of day are usually on the North Bound side.

Edited by ad210358

You can get to Oxford from the A43 junction bypassing the M40 by using the old A43 if you choose by using the B430 through Middleton Stony.

Please don't tell everyone about this `short cut`. B) Personally I use this route as the A34 junction backs up. Also worth using on the return trip.

Traffic on google maps will show you typical on any day at any time.

http://maps. google. co. uk/

The M25 southern section had a 30 mile traffic back up tonight!!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

The M25 southern section had a 30 mile traffic back up tonight!!

Hi TedNewman

Stay away from it next friday too, ever time we come back from our winter season we 'fly' across

Switzerland and France and genearlly get as far as the M26/M25 then crawl all the way around to

M40 - unless we do the M20 in which case we crawl to the M1 :o

Oh and if M25 is benign then the M6 generally shuts. .. :angry:

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Living in SE London and having the van at Abbey Wood means that we don't have much choice and normally have to use the M25 or trawl through London itself - it is just a matter of getting the timing correct - as said earlier 5 am is nice!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I would avoid the M25 especially on a Friday, come off the M1 at J15a take the A43 to the M40 head south for one junction and take the A34 down to Southampton, the only bad bits are the M40 for one junction and getting past Oxford. You can get to Oxford from the A43 junction bypassing the M40 by using the old A43 if you choose by using the B430 through Middleton Stony, Road works on the A34 at Oxford but the delays at that time of day are usually on the North Bound side.

I agree with this this route I use it regularly. however the M25 is not that bad if your are lucky.

go on the m25 at 5 in the morning, its bliss

But be off by 5. 05 if anticlockwise from Kings Langley to the M40 as its starts coming to a halt there at that time.

Definitely M1, A43, M40, A34, M3 is best way to Southampton. Its dual carriageway or motorway all the way from the M1 and is more direct than the M25. You can come off the M1 a little earlier at J18, if the M1 traffic is bad, and then go down the A5 to Towcester, which actually is a little more direct and runs parallel to the M1.

Coming off at J19, would mean going via Coventry and A46 which is always busy.

Brian

Rush hours busy busy busy has I have family down south. .

If you thinks that bad you should see the other tyres. ..

Wilkie - where are you starting from ?

Leeds.

I think the M1 down to Jcn 15A then the A34/43 route sounds a good option.

Thanks to all you guys for your help - great stuff !

- Wilkie

Alternative route could be M1, A42/M42 from East Mids airport junc M40 A34 M3

Only problem with that is the long term roadworks on the Northern Section of the M42 and the Middle section gets very busy on a Friday late afternoon.

Remember you guy's, that when you get to the A43/M40 junction you can still use the old A34 which misses the motorway and comes out on the A34 just below Weston on the green. This misses the busy Bicester/M40 junction and is usually very quiet as trucks aren't allowed over the bridge.

jeff

the only bad bits are the M40 for one junction and getting past Oxford. You can get to Oxford from the A43 junction bypassing the M40 by using the old A43 if you choose by using the B430 through Middleton Stony,

;)

Thanks Bertie and Chilly.

I've just had a look on the map and your suggested B430 route looks a good time ( and stress) saver.

Is it a fairly decent road ?

Cheers

- Wilkie

Just watch the narrow bridge between Ardley (First Village) and Middleton Stoney(Second village).

Its always makes me nervous when there is a truck coming the other way, but it is wide enough to pass. But I would slow down wit a van behind.

Remember you guy's, that when you get to the A43/M40 junction you can still use the old A34 which misses the motorway and comes out on the A34 just below Weston on the green. This misses the busy Bicester/M40 junction and is usually very quiet as trucks aren't allowed over the bridge.

jeff

Bertie, I think you mean the old A43, the A34 ran from Oxford through Woodstock towards Birningham but has since been renumbered as the A44.

Edited by ad210358