External Gas & Tv Points

e19689

Has anyone fitted an external gas and/or tv point to the outside of their van??? If so how wasy is it to do?

Hi,

I didn't fancy drilling holes in the outer walls of our 'van so on one of them I ran an aerial cable to the battery box and drilled a hole in the section where the mains hook up inlet plug is situated. On the last two 'vans I used one of the many holes in the floor where various pipes/electric cables enter the 'van as there's usually room to push the coax through easily when you want to connect to the airial. I chose one of the holes nearest to where the TV is situated,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Has anyone fitted an external gas and/or tv point to the outside of their van??? If so how wasy is it to do?

Hi,

Some caravans already have an external TV point in the battery box, it might be worth posting what make and model of caravan you have.

Stev

Ours came with an external gas point so I don't need an extra one. Although I do intend to fit and external aerial point in the wet box where the external 230v socket is.

I can understand people reluctance to cut holes in the walls of their caravan, but done correctly I don't see the problem. Espeically with the gas point as it's the same as a standard fit on many caravans. Even though it's on the external wall it's likely to go through to the locker and not the internal living space. Buy the correct housing and mastic and take your time. Don't forget to cover the area with masking tape to help prevent slips and scratches.

Chris

BMW 520d MSport Tourer - Abbey Freestyle

I have done all 3 in the last week. For the gas and electrical outlets I prefer the mbk type as fitted by Swift and Lunar. Take your time, measure 3 times, get a second opinion AND then cut once. Cover the area of the van with masking tape, mark out the template, measure again, then drill in the middle of are being removed. check inside the van to make sure your measurements are spot on. ..then drill 10mm holes where the corners will be and then use a fairly coarse chipboard type blade(strange i know but this works best or me) to cut the outline. i tidy up with a file to ensure the box fits in the hole. Where the screws for the box screw in, I re-inforce the wall with some softwood, cut to replace the polystyrene for about 20mm into the wall, this gives something for the screws to bite into. A quick 2. 5mm pilot hole for each screw helps at this point. As for sealant i use non setting mastic, generously squeezed onto the back of the box. Attach each box with stainless screws suitable for the box in question. Remove excess sealant with cloth and white / methylated spirit.

As for the gas and electric bits, all the bits i used are available at my local caravan shop (Golden Castle) or most of them at the local B&Q. Just make sure you use arctic grade pvc flexible cable for the wiring and leak test any gas work. I leave it to the individual to level of competence needed to do the gas and electrical stuff, but if you are unsure it will be cheaper to get a professional to check or complete the work than to let a local dealer do the hole job.

I took about 90mins to do the gas outlet and about 60 mins to do the electrical work. The external aerial point was about 20 mins, but about 2 hours to route the cables behind the fridge and oven!!

I have also added 3 more electrical sockets and a more visible switch for the water heater electrical control, all using the standard CBE sockets, backplates and trims used by Swift. Next is some AV wiring for the DVD and a tilt swivel bracket for the LCD TV and maybe a mains socket / aerial lead for the kids bunks area!

Gav

[quote name='vizzy' date='Apr 17 2009, 09:42 PM' post='247489'

I can understand people reluctance to cut holes in the walls of their caravan, but done correctly I don't see the problem.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't have a problem cutting holes in the side of the 'van when there is no alternative but I really can't see the point when it's not necessary :D !

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Bofus what size was the rigid gas pipe please as i am in the process of fitting BBQ point to my Swift and its in storage so i'd like to buy the copper pipe before my next visit. Thanks in advance

I'm lucky - my van already has external gas & tv points. The tv point is in the battery locker; we never use the tv in the awning, but I make good use of the tv point. When tv reception is poor I use an external aerial to get extra height. To avoid having to poke the co-ax lead in through windows etc. I plug it into the external aerial point, then plug the output cable to this point into the input socket of the status booster box (instead of the lead from the rooftop antenna), it works a treat.

2004 Swift Challenger 550 SLE

Hi,

Some caravans already have an external TV point in the battery box, it might be worth posting what make and model of caravan you have.

Stev

Hi Steve, I have a 2008 Xplore 596