Dodgy Caravan Advise

soupy sam

We recently purchased a second hand caravan and (like fools) believed the seller when he showed us round and explained the little faults that were wrong with the van.

Upon closer inspection there are areas of rot on the floor and walls, faults with the door, running lights and stabilizers plus lots of other things.

Am I stuck with this dodgy purchase or can I get some satisfaction from the seller.

He is denying all knowledge of any other faults than the ones he pointed out to us, which were insignificant.

Citroen Picasso 1. 6 hdi (110hp) + Abi ACE Viscount

Really am very sorry to hear of your problem, but I think with this type of purchase you are not able to seek help from trading standards etc unless the seller was a business, private sales are very much caveat emptor(buyer beware) and all steps to ensure its condition should have been taken before purchase, i/e seeing the latest damp test, service documents.

Hope you can get it fixed at a low cost to you.

[

I am afraid that I have to agree with Ginner - there are unfortunately people that will be economical with the truth when it comes to selling you an item and unless they are 'traders' there is very little that you can do - other than perhaps sue them! And it will probably be cheaper to put it down to experience!

Sorry to hear your tale of woe lets hope things get better!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

All may not be lost. If the running lights are faulty then I think you can reject the van. You'll probably need a solicitor's advice (and threatening letter) to get anywhere.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

It depends upon whether it was a private sale or not, if it was a private sale then you have no comeback. If it was a dealer then you have providing you inform him and give him the opportunity to sort the faults out. If he does not then trading Standards will be interested and will guide you through the process of taking him to court, but even if you get judgement it is sometimes very difficult getting the money back.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.