More Questions From A Virgin Caravanner!

Whilst swimming in the mornings these days my head is full of ?? before our first trip next weekend. ..

So today's were (from memory):-

1. The microwaves are low wattage so does that apply to other electrical items? I'm thinking of hairdryer, kettle and toaster?

2. What do you/can you leave in the caravan between trips (hopefully away every 2/3 weekends)? Bedding (fixed end bed), clothing, food (not fresh but store cupboard items), clothing etc??

That's all for now so thanks in advance for any tips and advice :)

Amanda

Edited by Grandpa Steve

Whilst swimming in the mornings these days my head is full of ?? before our first trip next weekend. ..

So today's were (from memory):-

1. The microwaves are low wattage so does that apply to other electrical items? I'm thinking of hairdryer, kettle and toaster?

2. What do you/can you leave in the caravan between trips (hopefully away every 2/3 weekends)? Bedding (fixed end bed), clothing, food (not fresh but store cupboard items), clothing etc??

That's all for now so thanks in advance for any tips and advice :)

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

We leave everything in the 'van so that we're ready to go if we feel the urge. All we need to do is put in clothing/drinks and we're off :D .

Regarding low wattage items, we don't bother and use household items though you must be careful not to trip the electrial supply by overloading. It's simple to work out how many amps an appliance will use as the watts should be printed on the appliance. You then simply divide the watts by the voltage (230) and you will find out how many amps you need to power it. For example a 2000w fire will use 2000w divided by 230v = 8. 7A which is over half of a 16A supply. Once you know how many amps each appliance uses then you know which you can use alongside each other and which need to be switched off. I would advise you to find out what the amp supply is on the EHU at every site that you visit. By the way be careful with the microwave as the quoted wattage is usually the output power but they generally have a higher iinput power eg, a 700w microwave may well use 1200w on startup. Again this information should be on the appliance,

Regards,

Ian.

PS, anything which uses power to heat up, such as hairdryers, electric fire, microwave, kettle, irons, water heater etc, are high power consumers so you need to take care.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Amanda

Whilst I agree with the previous comments to a point, I would like to suggest that if you decide to double up on your caravan kit electric kit then I would suggest that you look a low wattage gear.

Many sites that have electric only have 6 or 10 amps which are very easy to trip. This can cause you and could be a block of your fellow caravanners on sught considerable annoyance.

Why use gas when you are paying for electric?

Any enjoy yourself and dont trip the electrics

As far as keeping things in the van I would suppose that depends on where the van is stored. I keep mine at home and its ready to go. I am in the process of getting a larger van which I cant keep at home so I am having to think about what I leave in.

Colin

Kia Sedona 2. 9TS CDI 2008/Swift Challenger 580 2009

Thanks everyone - lots of very useful information and ideas - very glad I found this place.

We are so excited about collecting the caravan next Friday albeit with some trepidation regarding towing and setting up on site for the first time. No doubt we'll make some clangers but hopefully not too serious and will be able to chuckle about the experience. ..

We are gonna have some serious fun :D

We are so excited about collecting the caravan next Friday albeit with some trepidation regarding towing and setting up on site for the first time. No doubt we'll make some clangers but hopefully not too serious and will be able to chuckle about the experience. ..

Was that really all you wanted to know?

Newbies usually have very many more questions :D

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

Was that really all you wanted to know?

Newbies usually have very many more questions :D

:D Good golly no - just getting started and reckoned I'd treat it like a trip to the docs and not overload you guys with too many questions in one post ;)

Like others we keep the van stocked up over the summer period so that it's available without too much hassle.

We have low wattage appliances since we usually go abroad for summer hols. The current limit (amps) from most continental EHUs is usually much lower (6 or even 3 amps) than those in UK. Remember that if you use an inbuilt electric water heater, electric heater or even the fridge on electric, then these have to be allowed for in calculating how much current you are using.

The important thing is to enjoy youself!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks everyone - lots of very useful information and ideas - very glad I found this place.

We are gonna have some serious fun :D

hi there

we also leave everything in the van so that it is ready to go.

as far as the electrics is concerned as a qualified electrician if you work to 4 amps to every 1000 watts you will not go far wrong. the voltage fluctates between 235 and 245 volts in the UK

take care and stay safe

Stuart B)

2014 SsangYong Turismo ES tugging
Compass Kensington 866 2017 Bailey Senator Carolina S5 with Powrtouch 4 AWD
Wife, Daughter and 2 Sons and a dog called Meg

food for thought :) . ...the only daft questions are the ones you didn't ask.

hopefully there will always be someone logged on who will try to help

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

:D Good golly no - just getting started and reckoned I'd treat it like a trip to the docs and not overload you guys with too many questions in one post ;)

Hi AJR,

Treat the whole thing as an adventure and expect to make a mistake or two and you won't go far wrong :D . Don't forget that there will be others around youu

only to willing to help so don't be afraid to ask,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi AJR,

Treat the whole thing as an adventure and expect to make a mistake or two and you won't go far wrong :D . Don't forget that there will be others around youu

only to willing to help so don't be afraid to ask,

Regards,

Ian.

Off for trip number 3 this weekend and so far so good. Minor mistakes made and those which we can laugh about - my first experience of filling and rolling an unruly aquaroll had to be seen to be believed - think It's A Knockout and Stuart Hall just about hysterical as I wobbled my way back before realising the screw top was loose :huh: Oh, and then we'd left the drainage lever thingy open so not much of the first trip for water ever actually got inside the van!! Also had to go back to the storage site as the roof must have been left slightly ajar and the wind had fully opened it just as it looked like days of rain!

A question on the water situation though. I (think) the advice from the dealer was to fill the aquaroll, connect the pump and switch it on whilst opening the sink tap on hot in order to fill the hot tank first. Is this right? A more experienced colleague reckons to leave the taps off until the pump stops pumping water into the tank and then open to let the air out. ..then the heater will start to heat the water??

Thanks, Amanda

A question on the water situation though. I (think) the advice from the dealer was to fill the aquaroll, connect the pump and switch it on whilst opening the sink tap on hot in order to fill the hot tank first. Is this right? A more experienced colleague reckons to leave the taps off until the pump stops pumping water into the tank and then open to let the air out. ..then the heater will start to heat the water??

Thanks, Amanda

You need to open one of the hot taps to get the air out of the hot water tank with the pump running before putting the heating on. Also remember to switch the heating off before you drain the tank. Been there and done that. There is an overheat switch which cuts off the electric in this situation and should reset when it cools.

Brian

Its easy to foget to add the useage up.

During the first bank holiday we stayed at St Davids cc site and tripped the switch at the post. It happend because we put the kettle at 2100 hours on without thinking.

It was re set the following day at about 1000 hours and i hope we have learend our leason.

As for storeage we keep tins and a small amount of bedding like you ours is a fixed bed.

Good luck

Just one exta point about our stay.

I left the screw cover on top of the water container as i have always done to find it had disappeared the following day resulting in me now having one arm 3 inches longer than the other carrying the water.

I now put the tops in the car.

Its easy to foget to add the useage up.

During the first bank holiday we stayed at St Davids cc site and tripped the switch at the post. It happend because we put the kettle at 2100 hours on without thinking.

It was re set the following day at about 1000 hours and i hope we have learend our leason.

As for storeage we keep tins and a small amount of bedding like you ours is a fixed bed.

Good luck

Reminds me of another question - am I right in thinking we should always connect the electrics to the van first and THEN the post? OH said it didn't matter but maybe he has me well insured?!

Reminds me of another question - am I right in thinking we should always connect the electrics to the van first and THEN the post? OH said it didn't matter but maybe he has me well insured?!

Yes you definitely should. You dont want to be walking around in the wet holding a live plug. Unless you want him to claim the insurance

brian

Be wary of leaving food in the van. We have had a mouse / mice in our newish van in barn storage even without leaving food. Fortunatly the damage was minor, a bit of rubber chewed. But they can do hundreds of pound of damage. I have now blocked off the holes that the manufacturer left (I think) and use the odd mouse bait.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017