Smart Charger For Series 6 Louisiana

kirkauld

We have a Bailey Senator Series 6 Louisiana and are very pleased with the van.

However we read on the various forums about the problems which can occur with the type of battery charger fitted to our van. When away in the van the charger is left on all the time and when the the van is at home we keep it on our drive and leave the mains electric connected with the battery charger powered up;this is apparently where our problems may arise (according to many people will arise!!) Many forum participants advocate the use of SMART chargers and here is where I need assistance from fellow forum members.

I have looked at the charger in my S6 Senator and whilst there is no name on it, it does say the DC output is 13. 8v 24 amps.

Here in New Zealand I can purchase a CTEK XS3600 for approx 78 GBP and am quite willing to do so but before doing so I have a few questions which I hope you can answer.

My battery is an Exide 105a/h so will this charger be man enough for the job?

Is it as simple as;

1. Disconnecting the power to the onboard charger and unplugging the 12v 2 way connector from the charger into the vans wiring

2. Connecting the CTEK charge leads direct to the battery terminals and switching it on. (Bit worried about what I would be losing by not having power to the 12v 2 way connector)

Or would it be simpler to use the inbuilt van charger when we are using the van but when at home with van on the drive, switch off the vans charger and connect the CTEK to the battery terminals and switch it on for the duration it is on my drive. If this is the prefered way would there be any problem with me not physically disconnecting the wiring from the onboard charger but just relying on switching it off.

Sorry to be so long winded but hope someone can advise/help on this issue.

Thanks

John :D

2014 Bailey Unicorn 2 Cartagena / 2006 Ford Explorer V8

Hi, we've always just used the onboard charger for our battery. We don't necessarily leave the caravan on charge at home but maybe put the mains connection on a couple of days before we go away. We have done this for years and have never had a problem with the charging system in any of our vans.

There is a problem with a few Swift built caravans and the charging system in them but have not heard of any in Bailey caravans.

Jan

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

However we read on the various forums about the problems which can occur with the type of battery charger fitted to our van. When away in the van the charger is left on all the time and when the the van is at home we keep it on our drive and leave the mains electric connected with the battery charger powered up;this is apparently where our problems may arise (according to many people will arise!!) Many forum participants advocate the use of SMART chargers and here is where I need assistance from fellow forum members.

I have looked at the charger in my S6 Senator and whilst there is no name on it, it does say the DC output is 13. 8v 24 amps.

Here in New Zealand I can purchase a CTEK XS3600 for approx 78 GBP and am quite willing to do so but before doing so I have a few questions which I hope you can answer.

Is it as simple as;

1. Disconnecting the power to the onboard charger and unplugging the 12v 2 way connector from the charger into the vans wiring

2. Connecting the CTEK charge leads direct to the battery terminals and switching it on. (Bit worried about what I would be losing by not having power to the 12v 2 way connector)

Or would it be simpler to use the inbuilt van charger when we are using the van but when at home with van on the drive, switch off the vans charger and connect the CTEK to the battery terminals and switch it on for the duration it is on my drive. If this is the prefered way would there be any problem with me not physically disconnecting the wiring from the onboard charger but just relying on switching it off.

Thanks

Hi John

I use an Aldi/Lidl charger (a CTEK near clone) to charge my van battery fully and I do this with the existing unit in circuit too :o,

this probably isn't ideal and the van unit should be disconnected when I'm charging this way, the onboard unit is what is needed

to power any energy hungry devices so some variation on option 1/2 is needed to have the charger out of circuit at home to

fully charge the battery (rather than 13. 8 maintenance level) and use the onboard for touring with maybe a 'boost' with CTEK

if required.

To be honest I only charge my battery after its been in storage from Nov to May as I think it may need it after that much of a

lay up and even after that long off grid the motor mover still works so maybe isn't really required?

A shame you haven't a Lidl/Aldi down there (do you?) as the 'clones' are only £12ish and other than no 'anti-sulphation' phase are

brilliant pieces of kit - if I can find one still in store (seasonal stock) I'll post one if you like and you can Paypal me the money?

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Is it as simple as;

Thanks

John - I use a CTEK XS3600 instead of the onboard power supply as it charges the battery fully (instead of 80%) and maintains the battery better by entering a de-sulphation phase when needed.

My version of Pageant has a switch on the built-in power supply but later versions don't although this can be overcome by a competent electrician adding a switch in the 230V input for the built-in power supply.

Hi John

I use an Aldi/Lidl charger (a CTEK near clone) to charge my van battery fully and I do this with the existing unit in circuit too :o,

this probably isn't ideal and the van unit should be disconnected when I'm charging this way, the onboard unit is what is needed

to power any energy hungry devices so some variation on option 1/2 is needed to have the charger out of circuit at home to

fully charge the battery (rather than 13. 8 maintenance level) and use the onboard for touring with maybe a 'boost' with CTEK

if required.

To be honest I only charge my battery after its been in storage from Nov to May as I think it may need it after that much of a

lay up and even after that long off grid the motor mover still works so maybe isn't really required?

A shame you haven't a Lidl/Aldi down there (do you?) as the 'clones' are only £12ish and other than no 'anti-sulphation' phase are

brilliant pieces of kit - if I can find one still in store (seasonal stock) I'll post one if you like and you can Paypal me the money?

neil

Hi Neil,

No we dont have Lidl/Aldi out here but thanks very much for your generous offer. I have decided to go for the CTEK XS3600

which seems to be the best option available here.

John

John - I use a CTEK XS3600 instead of the onboard power supply as it charges the battery fully (instead of 80%) and maintains the battery better by entering a de-sulphation phase when needed.

My version of Pageant has a switch on the built-in power supply but later versions don't although this can be overcome by a competent electrician adding a switch in the 230V input for the built-in power supply.

Roger,

I have decided to go for the XS3600 as well.

How did you manage to get the charging leads from the CTEK through into the battery box; I am not sure if the back of the battery box would be able to be drilled as it seems quite brittle and the existing grommet used by the battery cable is not big enough. Did you utilise another 12volt 2 way connector?

Thanks

John

Roger,

I have decided to go for the XS3600 as well.

How did you manage to get the charging leads from the CTEK through into the battery box; I am not sure if the back of the battery box would be able to be drilled as it seems quite brittle and the existing grommet used by the battery cable is not big enough. Did you utilise another 12volt 2 way connector?

Thanks

John

John - I made the connection near the existing power supply, as that was convenient to position the CTEK - I just used a connector block to wire a Tamiya model r/c car connector into the caravan's existing wiring between the power supply and the battery, that way I can easily remove the CTEK for use elsewhere, eg the car!

Hi Neil,

No we dont have Lidl/Aldi out here

John

Hang on, it won't be long. :P

Edited by beejay

John - I made the connection near the existing power supply, as that was convenient to position the CTEK - I just used a connector block to wire a Tamiya model r/c car connector into the caravan's existing wiring between the power supply and the battery, that way I can easily remove the CTEK for use elsewhere, eg the car!

The early CTEKs came with a two pin connector lead and it's still available as an accessory.