Front Window On Coachman Laser

RichardC

Hi all

Our caravan (a 2008 Coachman Laser) is currently in for its first service. It is a couple of weeks older than the year simply because the dealer (not the dealer we bought it from) could not fit us in any earlier - even though we contacted them about 3 months ago to book the service.

Anyway we pointed out marks on the inside of the middle front window and they said that they could not do anything with these and it would require a new window. The dealer has just rung to say that this will not be covered under warranty because the caravan is more than a year old. As I have said it is only a couple of weeks past the year.

Needless to say I am livid as there have been other issues with the caravan (including a flood in the washroom the first time we used it which then extended into the caravan because the pipes for the shower had not been properly fixed). I would not expect this from any caravan far less one that cost £20,000. My last van was a Bailey and we did not have any problems whatsoever and I thought when we changed to Coachman we were "trading up".

I am not blaming the dealer here as they at least did try but I am annoyed in the extreme with Coachman and I will be taking this up with them.

I now wish we had kept our Bailey. We only changed manufacturer because Bailey did not do the layout we wanted.

Cheers

RichardC

RichardC

Coachman Laser 645/4, Jeep Commander or Jeep Cherokee

richard c. coachman warrenty dont ask probably the worst in existance will use any excuse to void warrenty work read your warrenty in the manufacturers book and then disregard it Coachmans version of that is that if you do not discover it on your PDI the day you pick up your van then it is WEAR AND TEAR FROM day one

richard c. coachman warrenty dont ask probably the worst in existance will use any excuse to void warrenty work read your warrenty in the manufacturers book and then disregard it Coachmans version of that is that if you do not discover it on your PDI the day you pick up your van then it is WEAR AND TEAR FROM day one

I am very sorry but I have found exactly the opposite! Coachman looked after me really well recently. Have you tried talking to them directly?

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

This is a recognised problem at Swift. Sounds like Coachman use the same windows as Swift. The acrylic they use must be thinner, because it flexes and the two panes touch causing marks on the inside. We are now on our third window, which seems to be better, I think the manufacturers have increased the thickness of the acrylic or made the gap larger.

I’d investigate where Coachman and Swift get their windows, you could have a case for claiming a design or manufacturing fault if they are the same.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Good to hear your experience Wonky. I have not spoken to them - yet. I sent them an e-mail last week but still have not received a response. I am working in Dublin at the moment but am home on Thursday - if there's no response I'll call them.

Depending on the response I'll look into who manufactures the windows like thelonegroover suggests and see if I have more muscle that way. It looks like this might be the problem though because the marks on both the inner and the outer window are almost a mirror image.

If that is the case I'd expect others to have had a similar problem. Has anyone??

Cheers

RichardC

RichardC

Don't quite understand this one. You say the van is coming up for it's first service. I thought they had a 3/5 year warranty. My 2006 vip which runs out at the end of this month has a 3 year and I though the 2009 models had a 5 year so not sure about the 2008 models.

As ksugden says talk to Trevor Baxter. I've had a couple of issues which he's sorted without any fuss. One was a slight paint blister on a window frame, so a new one was fitted. Certainly don't agree with old van man about warranty issues. They may well have been like that in the distant past but now I think they are probably better than alot of other manufacturers.

Don't quite understand this one. You say the van is coming up for it's first service. I thought they had a 3/5 year warranty. My 2006 vip which runs out at the end of this month has a 3 year and I though the 2009 models had a 5 year so not sure about the 2008 models.

As ksugden says talk to Trevor Baxter. I've had a couple of issues which he's sorted without any fuss. One was a slight paint blister on a window frame, so a new one was fitted. Certainly don't agree with old van man about warranty issues. They may well have been like that in the distant past but now I think they are probably better than alot of other manufacturers.

The caravan itself may have a 3, 5 or 50 year warranty, but unfortunately, fixture and fittings seem to covered by either individual manufacturers warranty or the statutory 12 months.

Personally I’d have thought the windows were part of the caravan, unlike a fridge, oven or gas fire.

Swift Challenger 490

Hi all

When I booked the caravan in for its service (approx 3 months before) they said that they could not do it before the caravan was a year old. The dealer did explain that fixtures and fittings would not be covered because these are covered by the manufacturers warranty and that is 1 year.

I accepted this but like thelonegroover I would have expected the windows to be an integral part of the caravan.

I will give Coachman a ring today and see what they say.

Many thanks for your replies.

RichardC

RichardC

My 3 year warranty states that:

in years 2 and 3 the warranty will cover all original components including permanently fitted equipment forming part of the original manufacturers specification plus water ingress and delamination. The specific exclusions are tyres, batteries, g;ass, paintwork, brightwork and all similar trims and finishes, tables, hinges, knobs and handles, window catches, stays and associated fittings, adjustment of blinds, catches, stays and doors, replacement of bulbs, fluorescent tubes and electrical connection, entertainment/communication systems and associated equipment. Additionally, proprietary products such as refrigerators, space heaters, water heaters, ovens, chassis and audio equipment which are not covered by the respective manufacturers own guarantee and service arrangements are also excluded.

My interpretation would be that the windows were still covered, unless the warranty for 2008 models has been downgraded.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that Paul.

I only picked the van up from the dealer on Sunday and unfortunately had to leave shortly after getting home for Dublin and therefore could not check the documentation. I am returning home tonight and first thing tomorrow I am going to check the warranty documentation in the caravan and then phone Coachman.

If my warranty is the same as yours then it would appear to me that the windows should be covered.

Thanks again.

RichardC

RichardC

Hi all

I have just had an e-mail in response from Coachman who say:

"Thank you for your email of 17th April. I would like to apologise for the problems you seem to be encountering with your 2008 Laser.

With regards to our warranty, the warranty does require an annual service, however if you check in your warranty book you will see that you have a 90 day window either side of the anniversary date to arrange servicing. If you are still within this period then the window is covered under warranty, however Coachman, like all other manufacturers, do not handle warranty on Polyplastic windows, this is handled by Polyplastic agents in this country Miriad. I am presuming that it is Miriad who have rejected the claim. I have spoken to Crossburn and asked them to contact Miriad and advise them of the circumstances."

As the service has been carried out within the "90 day window" it would appear that the window is covered and I will await word from the dealer (hopefully) confirming this.

So all's well that end's well (I hope) - BUT why did I have to go through this hassle if it was covered all along?

RichardC

RichardC

Hi Paul

I agree. I would have thought that Coachman would have dealt with this, however the main thing is I get it done under the warranty.

Cheers

RichardC

RichardC

Hi Richard,

Glad you are gettting it sorted ok though what I don't underdstand is that it shouldn't matter who makes what part, it should be coachman who sort the problem out and not the oe manufacturer.

Cheers,

Paul

I think you'll find this is normal. When it comes to fittings they are covered by the individual suppiers, (Stoves, Domentic, Thetford etc). Swift and Bailey are just the same as Coachman.

Swift Challenger 490

• 2 months later...
Hi Paul

I agree. I would have thought that Coachman would have dealt with this, however the main thing is I get it done under the warranty.

Cheers

RichardC

I was just wondering if you got it replaced in the end? We have some friends with a Coachman Amara (April 2008) and their van has recently developed the same fault.

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

I was just wondering if you got it replaced in the end? We have some friends with a Coachman Amara (April 2008) and their van has recently developed the same fault.

Hi Jennifer

As it happens we had not heard from the dealer but we have had another small problem so my wife phoned the dealer the other day and mentioned the window while she was on the phone. The person she spoke to didn't know what the position was so I am going to call them next week. I will let you know what happens.

Cheers

Richard

RichardC

Hi Jennifernn

Phoned the dealer this morning and the window is in so I am taking it in in two weeks (my choice as I have things on) for them to replace it.

Cheers

RichardC

RichardC

Hi Jennifernn

Yes, it was straightforward eventually buy see the posts above about being just outside of the one year warranty.

RichardC

we have a Sterling (Swift Group), they have been badly affected by this window business, we are awaiting our second new window.

Our Swift Warranty is 3 years on most stuff, so we have had no problem in getting things (including the window) done. Is the same not the case with the Coachman warranty?

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

According to our dealer when they contacted Miriad (who apparantely are the UK agent for polyplastics who make the windows the warranty is only one year). However we contacted Coachman and it was only about a month over the year so they sorted it out for us but I am not sure if Coachman underwrite the warranty for 3 years but the warranty from polyplastics is only a year. I have noticed in other forums that Swift seem to be having problems with this issue but as far as I can see there are no other Coachman caravans reported as being affected. I can't believe that I am the only one.

Still fingers crossed that this solves the problem and I do not have another fail like you and others seem to be having.

Cheers

RichardC

RichardC

Hi Jennifer

According to our dealer when they contacted Miriad (who apparantely are the UK agent for polyplastics who make the windows the warranty is only one year). However we contacted Coachman and it was only about a month over the year so they sorted it out for us but I am not sure if Coachman underwrite the warranty for 3 years but the warranty from polyplastics is only a year. I have noticed in other forums that Swift seem to be having problems with this issue but as far as I can see there are no other Coachman caravans reported as being affected. I can't believe that I am the only one.

Still fingers crossed that this solves the problem and I do not have another fail like you and others seem to be having.

Cheers

RichardC

No, you are not the only one, our friends also have the problem. Their van was 1 year at the end of April, I believe they noticed it now in June.

They have reported it to their dealer and are awaiting a response.

Polyplastic seem to be co-operating with Swift, so I can't see why it should be any different with a Coachman.

The usual "fit for purpose" etc comes to mind. I certainly would not be accepting a refusal!

Windows are not "equipment".........they are part of the body of the van.

Edited by jennifernn

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

As you can see I did not accept the original refusal and now have the outcome I desired. I agree that windows are not "equipment" and I pointed this out to the dealer. In fairness to them they did try a few times with Miriad (perhaps Swift are dealing with Polyplastics direct and not Miriad the british agents).

In any case when I contacted Coachman it was sorted out PDQ so if your friends have no luck with their dealer they should contact Coachman and hopefully it can be rectified.

Cheers

RichardC

RichardC