Caravan Storage - How Far To Go?

Caravan storage in my neck of the woods is in short supply. ... Cant keep my new van on the drive as deeds to house forbit it!

Found one storage facility about 10 miles from home, lots of spaces, no cctv, fencing is a bit iffy (soil mounds about 4/5 ft high rather than fences apart from the entry gates etc), location is a bit iffy too (entrance and exit straight out onto a very straight road known for motorcyclists speeding along it). Not CASSOA.

Another 17 miles away, fencing good/CCTV/ easy access, only a couple of spaces available, nice location etc. Cheaper than the first one. Not CASSOA.

Is this a bit of a no brainer?

Something about the first one is ringing alarm bells and im tempted to go further afield (will i regret it after a long weekend away?)

Would appreciate any comments, perhaps something i have missed?

lindabelle

Hi Lindabelle

a) if you are not happy about the first storage place, it probably is not right - if storage in your area is in short supply, why has this one got plenty of space?

B) from experience 17 miles is quite a long way away from home, particularly if they have restricted hours for returning the van at weekends but, if there are no closer alternatives, perhaps you have to go with it. would you have to pay 12 months fees up front or pay as you go - if possible to leave yourself with a short term get out if you find somewhere else, that would help.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Caravan storage in my neck of the woods is in short supply. ... Cant keep my new van on the drive as deeds to house forbit it!

Found one storage facility about 10 miles from home, lots of spaces, no cctv, fencing is a bit iffy (soil mounds about 4/5 ft high rather than fences apart from the entry gates etc), location is a bit iffy too (entrance and exit straight out onto a very straight road known for motorcyclists speeding along it). Not CASSOA.

Another 17 miles away, fencing good/CCTV/ easy access, only a couple of spaces available, nice location etc. Cheaper than the first one. Not CASSOA.

Is this a bit of a no brainer?

Something about the first one is ringing alarm bells and im tempted to go further afield (will i regret it after a long weekend away?)

Would appreciate any comments, perhaps something i have missed?

lindabelle

Hi lindabelle

My van is stored about 100miles from home! but this is only 20miles from where we used to stay a lot

so not much towing once out of storage. Incidentally the storage costs locally are about £300-400

a year which is at least £100 more than I'm currently paying so subsidises the fuel a bit. ..

Anyway the point of my post is to consider the distance as not counting if the storage is on the way

to your most frequently visited area or say a small hop off a close motorway junction.

I would also have a look at the relative costs of storage against distance as one may find that one

subsidises the other.

Most of all you need a storage site that satisfies your own requirements (even if only gut feeling) but must

satisfy all the insurance company stipulations - generally CASSOA or CCTV/Lights whatever.

Incidentally soil 'bunds' around a compound are effective as a digger is needed to breach the perimeter

whereas a fence just needs some snips but neither will deter a pro - I park next to some newer vans

with more wheels so I'm well covered ;)

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Lindabelle, My caravan is stored about 15 miles from home. I've used it since we began caravanning in the early '90s. Never had any problems and, as far as I know, they've never had a caravan stolen. If your feeling about the first site is dodgy, leave it alone. Extra distance doesn't matter if it gives you peace of mind.

Regards, Mikey :rolleyes:

My caravan is about 20 miles away on a now CASSOA Gold site. My reasons for choosing this one over others a lot nearer are many but mainly I felt the owner was genuine, no footpaths etc for people to use, and lots of turning space btween the rows.

The cost was and still is cheaper than the sites nearer home, but as has been said, if you have doubts then walk away from the first one.

Andrew

2010/60 Honda CRV ES-T i-DTEC (Deep Sapphire Blue) and a 2009 S7 Bailey Provence.

lindabelle

The deeds to my house forbid it too, but it only applies if the neighbors complain. Check your deeds, there might be a get-out clause where you can get written permission from the original builders, most of them included the clause about caravans and trade vans in the deeds to make the area look a bit more upmarket while they were being sold.

Even if the neighbors don't want the van there all the time it should be OK to keep it on the drive for a day or two either end of your trip for loading and unloading.

Go for the storage site that gives the best security, another few miles is worth it for the piece of mind.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

The deeds to my house forbid it too, but it only applies if the neighbors complain. Check your deeds, there might be a get-out clause where you can get written permission from the original builders, most of them included the clause about caravans and trade vans in the deeds to make the area look a bit more upmarket while they were being sold.

Even if the neighbors don't want the van there all the time it should be OK to keep it on the drive for a day or two either end of your trip for loading and unloading.

Go for the storage site that gives the best security, another few miles is worth it for the piece of mind.

Hi Artleknock

If the neighbours dont want it there it'll be at all not now and again I think.

It really isn't a good idea to store one at home for many reasons;-

Not too far away a householder had decided to keep his van on the drive and he just didnt give a toss

about peoples feelings - seems someone decided they couldn't be bothered with the legal process and it

was torched, had the car and the fence and garage door too!

A friend who was a PC advises against having a van on the drive as it advertises when the house is

available to be burgled.

Even if the van is an overnight load and go indicates the best time to come and get all the bits you've

conveniently loaded into easily transported crates. ..

If you store at home against the covenant of the house deeds it isn't being the bounds of possibility it

will invalidate your insurance given some companies propensity to wriggle out of settlement.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Thank everyone for all your advice and thoughts on this. As a newie, i appreciate it very much, but im a great one for "gut feeling" and so will be going for the second option!

The fees are £80 a year cheaper, so that will offset some of the extra diesel costs, also its only a mile or so to an A road, which just happens to be the one i use most when i go to shows and training weekends with my doggies!

I dont think having it on my drive would be an option anyway, my driveway slopes, and also i have a house which is link attached by an bedroom upstairs, and i dont reckon the caravan would go under it! I know though that caravans on peoples drives are often a bone of contention, and me having 3 dogs had already given my neighbours some ammunition so i dont want to add any more!

Cheers all, looking forward to my first weekend out at the end of May!

Lindabelle

Edited by Lindabelle