Speeding When Towing

leeandoona

Now I'm sure some of you will be in one camp on this, and some of you on the other camp. I have to vent my steam, and hope that in doing so some of you will think again!

We have a limit in speed when towing in this country, the limit applies to all towed units regardless of how big and powerful your towing vehicle is. The limit is 60mph on a motorway. ..not 70, 80, 90 or more!

Now, I know it might feel fine to go over the limit in the UK and of course many people do without towing but honestly. ..it's suicide, especially when towing.

Towing on way back from Easter at 60mph in the 1st lane (that's what it's called by the way, not the "slow" lane) and having just overtaken a lorry doing 50 something there was a pop, thud, smoke sparks and a violent pulling that dragged us (luckily) nearside towards the hard shoulder where I regained control and allowed the complete unit to come to a standstill without using brakes. Complete blow out to an apparently good condition tyre. Any faster and I can assure you it would not have been so straight forward.

I was amazed whilst changing the tyre with our friends from the AA (my wrench not manly enough) at how many caravans went passed at stupid speeds, many of them swaggering about behind large 4x4's. Even when towing at 60mph we are always passed at great speed by others towing similar, smaller and larger units.

I'll get off my soap box now but before I do, I hope I might make just one of you speeding towers think again. Are your kids in the car with you? Your pet dogs? Do you want to risk everything dear to you just to get there/back 20 mins faster? If not for that reason give some thought to your insurance, who won't pay out on your tipped over caravan, because you were going too fast. Come on. ..those of you who do it are giving us all a bad name and risking everything.

Rant over! :P

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try spending the night, every night, watching it all happen from the cab of a 44ton truck.

its not camps. but clubs. not two of them. lots of them.

speeding cars club. sales reps club. texters and mobile phone club. side by side trucks club. middle lane club. front fog light club. rear fog light club. main beam stuck on club. 3rd lane-No! its the, ive got a faster car lane get out of my way club. sat-nav club. caravan club. stick to 50 club. rubber neck club. what does that sign with big letters say club. im towing a broken-down car so i need lots of bright flashing lights club. pull in front of a 44tn truck club. brake hard infront of a 44tn truck club. dont know how to use a slip road club. bank holiday club.

and the club im in. seen it all before club.

do i speed with my caravan on the back. yes.

leeandoona. pot-kettle spring to mind. ;)

your calling people for speeding, and your the one waiting to be rear-ended on the hard shoulder by a big rig, cus you cant change a tyre.

which reminds me. ...........sat on the hard shoulder cant change a flat club. ....... :D

Mutley, you forgot the transit pickup dragging a large European made caravan. .....and over these part of the woods you have to have misaligned headlights, one headlight must be shining into the trees :angry:

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

try spending the night, every night, watching it all happen from the cab of a 44ton truck.

brake hard infront of a 44tn truck club. dont know how to use a slip road club.

Hi Mutlley,

OT. ...sorry. Driving up the A4067, going North from M4/J45, in a little MG Midget. About 50mph. Develop a problem with my exhaust. ...like it started scraping on the road. My fault, no excuses.

I check my mirror. I signal left. I poke my arm straight up (open top) to attract attention of the big truck behind. I slow down and pull onto the grass verge. NOT a crash stop.

Suddenly there is this horrible screaming noise, lots of smoke, and a dreadful smell. The eight wheeler is no longer behind me, he is along side me. ....with all eight wheels locked, and still passing.

Question. What would have been my chances of survival if I had stayed on the tarmac? I would rather be hit by a speeding caravan than a speeding truck.

There is one particular fleet of tipper trucks, all painted blue. I just know that if I get close to one of them, I'm going to be frightened. ....usually by how close they are to my back bumper. Shades of the film "Hell Drivers".

But yeah, I agree with most of what you say. I recently saw a Jag and caravan parked on the M4 verge. ....facing the wrong way. And more recently, a caravan, but no car, on the opposite hard shoulder, with a crowd looking at it. As I passed, I noticed the tow car. ...several yards into the scenery.

Good Lord, what sort of a forum is this then? Vans don't swagger behind 4x4s, big vans swagger behind little cars. Vans are inherently safe behind 4x4s but I reckon that if you walk around any caravan site then you will find that probably a quarter to a third of outfits are too heavy for the car towing them.

We find that very few vans are towed at much if anything over the limit. Yes, some are, of course, but not enough to get your knickers in a twist about. It's legal and safe to tow at higher speeds in other countries so that means that it isn't necessarily unsafe to tow at higher speeds here, just illegal.

Leeandoona, did you have Tyrons fitted?

Edited by Fleng

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

do i speed with my caravan on the back. yes.

leeandoona. pot-kettle spring to mind. ;)

your calling people for speeding, and your the one waiting to be rear-ended on the hard shoulder by a big rig, cus you cant change a tyre.

which reminds me. ...........sat on the hard shoulder cant change a flat club. ....... :D

Mutley. . Your reply speaks volumes of you as a driver whether it be towing your caravan or driving your truck either way your actions are selfish and dangerous to others on the road if we all drove or towed with that mindset dear help us. Its drivers with your kind of attitude that kill innocent people on our roads today, whether they drive a mini, 4x4, truck, bus etc. speed limits are there for a reason not just for the fun of them. :huh:

Ranger 540/6. .. Love it dearly!!!

whether they drive a mini, 4x4, truck, bus

As i am a truck driver and hold a bus licence, own a Jeep 4x4 Offroader, and drive the missus's C2 (small car), i guess i am doomed then. :lol:

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Mods, keep an eye on this thread. Already there are aggressive and confrontational posts.

Mikey :mellow:

Already on my radar, I will not be posting my opinions on this, so I will be well placed to moderate if necessary.

Can we please keep the thread free of accusations and personal comments, now back to your corners and come out after the bell and fight cleanly.

Thank you - "Ding Ding" round 2 :P:P

GPS

Hi all

With regard to the original post, we have in the past towed in France at a true 80mph for brief periods.

Now however we tend to stick to 60mph as it's far more relaxing and as you quite rightly point out, the chances of successfully controlling the outfit if there's a problem is significantly better at this speed.

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

Are your kids in the car with you? Your pet dogs? Do you want to risk everything dear to you just to get there/back 20 mins faster?

As the old saying goes "Better to be twenty minutes late in this world than twenty years early in the next"

- Wilkie

Edited by iancwilx

Mutley. . Your reply speaks volumes of you as a driver whether it be towing your caravan or driving your truck either way your actions are selfish and dangerous to others on the road if we all drove or towed with that mindset dear help us. Its drivers with your kind of attitude that kill innocent people on our roads today, whether they drive a mini, 4x4, truck, bus etc. speed limits are there for a reason not just for the fun of them. :huh:

no. im the exact opposite. i have done many training courses and always try to drive accordingly to my conditions and load.

i always try to be courteous and professional. and have in the past stopped and helped people with a flat.

ive no points on my licence. its my job on the line if i get any.

i wasnt trying to be aggressive and confrontational. by addmitting to speeding i was saying we are all guilty of it. professional or not.

and sometimes when its safe to do so, speeding isn't a bad thing.

some of the caravan outfits i see on the roads shouldn't be doing 40mph, never mind anything faster. :huh:

dont forget, the roads and motorways of this tiny island are my place of work.

by making clubs up, it helps pass the time sat in traffic. :D

be safe out there people. :)

Already on my radar, I will not be posting my opinions on this, so I will be well placed to moderate if necessary.

Can we please keep the thread free of accusations and personal comments, now back to your corners and come out after the bell and fight cleanly.

Thank you - "Ding Ding" round 2 :P:P

GPS

Well refereed GPS :rolleyes:

Mikey :):)

No-one mentioned the `I`ve got a LGV so I CAN pull out in front of you on roundabouts/slip roads` club.

There aren`t many angels around, and 35 years working with trucks tell me that LGV drivers ain`t no different. Theres good and bad in all.

. ..I'm also a Transport Manager and many of our drivers and fellow Transport Managers are also caravanners. ..and a right law-abiding lot we are!

Keep the humour and avoid the aggro. ...both driving and 'posting' eh!

cheers

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

No-one mentioned the `I`ve got a LGV so I CAN pull out in front of you on roundabouts/slip roads` club.

There aren`t many angels around, and 35 years working with trucks tell me that LGV drivers ain`t no different. Theres good and bad in all.

Well said Angus, very true.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

. ..I'm also a Transport Manager and many of our drivers and fellow Transport Managers are also caravanners. ..and a right law-abiding lot we are!

Keep the humour and avoid the aggro. ...both driving and 'posting' eh!

cheers

geoff

My congratulations on maintaining your cool despite the agro. ...including mine (only mine wasn't ment to be aggro). Personally I can't understand why anyone would want to be a truck driver once the novelty has worn off.

As for the comment about not being early for the next world. ..... is it really that bad? Should I try to avoid it altogether? :D

My congratulations on maintaining your cool despite the agro. ...including mine (only mine wasn't ment to be aggro). Personally I can't understand why anyone would want to be a truck driver once the novelty has worn off.

As for the comment about not being early for the next world. ..... is it really that bad? Should I try to avoid it altogether? :D

i have the bast and most important job of all. i work for a brewery delivering beer. ....... :D

and i always take the greatest of care. ........ ;)

the novelty has never worn off. i love it. ..........................

getting back on topic.

its only when you stand at the side of a motorway you realise how fast vehicles are moving. if your in a car doing 70mph and someone passes you at 80mph it doesn't seem that fast. motorways are designed to make you feel like your not going as fast as you really are.

stand at the side and watch it and its a totally different experiance.

you can fully understand why anyone working in roadworks would want a seed limit of 50 or 40mph.

i have the bast and most important job of all. i work for a brewery delivering beer. ....... :D

and i always take the greatest of care. ........ ;)

the novelty has never worn off. i love it. ..........................

getting back on topic.

its only when you stand at the side of a motorway you realise how fast vehicles are moving. if your in a car doing 70mph and someone passes you at 80mph it doesn't seem that fast. motorways are designed to make you feel like your not going as fast as you really are.

stand at the side and watch it and its a totally different experiance.

you can fully understand why anyone working in roadworks would want a seed limit of 50 or 40mph.

Its even more fun trying to run into lane 3 to remove debris! trust me, i know.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Now I'm sure some of you will be in one camp on this, and some of you on the other camp. I have to vent my steam, and hope that in doing so some of you will think again!.......

Rant over! :P

just out of intrest what is your out fit is it twin axle or single axle caravan weight ratio to towing vehicle bhp

How about the 'I don't need to use indicators' club, or the 'I don't need to put any lights on in the fog' club?

Or the dreaded 'I must get past this caravan even though I haven't seen the tractor in front of it' club.

I give my OH what for if he goes over 60mph when towing, but we often get overtaken by other outfits. My view is, if they want to risk thousands of pounds worth of outfit for the sake of arriving a bit earlier, that's their problem. It only becomes our problem when we get stuck in the jam caused when they end up spread across the carriageway or in the ditch at the side of the road.

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'