Advice Please

The Wanderer

HI Guys,

How much additional pressure do I put into my tyres when towing,and I weighed the nose of my van at the weekend and gauge read 85KG fully loaded with awning etc the van MIRO is 999kg the mtplm is 1220kg and the kerb weight of the car is 1370 is the nose weight ok

is there any easy way to work out the percentage etc

Thanks

Ian :o

Jaguar XF 3. 0 D tugging an Swift Challenger Sport 584

HI Guys,

How much additional pressure do I put into my tyres when towing,and I weighed the nose of my van at the weekend and gauge read 85KG fully loaded with awning etc the van MIRO is 999kg the mtplm is 1220kg and the kerb weight of the car is 1370 is the nose weight ok

Thanks

Hi Ian

I would say a couple of PSI above what is normal, but in the handbook does it not say something like 4 adults and full

boot, and give a setting?

and again with the nose weight have a look in the car handbook it should say there, as its a max on the car that is what

you need (I think most max is 75Kg ) but most cars are diffrent

I have just found a noseweight for a Avensis and it is 75Kg

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

HI Guys,

Thanks

:) The recomendations on noseweights are 7% of MTPLM but as this usually exceeds the car's allowed noseweight a lesser fig of 4% or not less than 25Kg,

most salloon cars are around 75kg

Beware of noseweight gauge readings as they are usually wrong,mine reads 85kg at 75kg check out its accuracy by placing the gauge on bathroom scales & making sure that the the combined height of scales & gauge is = to the tow ball of your loaded car & the van is on level ground

make sure that the combined height of scales + gauge, is = to tow ball height & is when the gauge reads 75kg or req weight, so as to allow for the comppresion of the gauge

I Hope this makes sense

:) The recomendations on noseweights are 7% of MTPLM but as this usually exceeds the car's allowed noseweight a lesser fig of 4% or not less than 25Kg,

most salloon cars are around 75kg

Beware of noseweight gauge readings as they are usually wrong,mine reads 85kg at 75kg check out its accuracy by placing the gauge on bathroom scales & making sure that the the combined height of scales & gauge is = to the tow ball of your loaded car & the van is on level ground

make sure that the combined height of scales + gauge, is = to tow ball height & is when the gauge reads 75kg or req weight, so as to allow for the comppresion of the gauge

I Hope this makes sense

I'd also use bathroom scales, but don't try and use the guage at the same time, you'll compress them both!.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Guest John KS

Begs the question as to why they sell nose guages? Seems everyone uses the bathroom scales!!!!!!

Has anyone actually bought one that is accurate????

My built in jockey guage reads 100kg when it is actually 75 kg. (as measured on scales or a separate nose wheel guage). I think you can use two scale at once as long as they are on top of each other. I would have to check my old O level physics books. The van does need to be level.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017