Anyone Tow With An Audi A6 1.9 Tdi?

jonjosar

I recently bought an 02 A6 1. 9TDI saloon to replace my VW Passat. The A6 is a 130 BHP car instead of the 100 BHP Passat. I had a towbar fitted,swan neck type and my "problem" is that the tow ball sits quite low. I,ve towed a couple of times and there is no problem on "A" roads but on undulating "B" roads, the caravan jockey wheel is uncomfortably close to the road surface. Its only touched once and that was on a series of bumps and dips but i was wondering if anyone has ever fitted Grayston spring assisters?

The car has only done 71k and the rear suspension is in very good condition. The van is loaded properly etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sterling Elite Emerald

The rear suspension on the A6 of that age is the same as the B5. 5 Passat. We tow with a Passat TDI PD130 SE and that was soft at the back until I fitted Grayston auxilliary springs,which fit inside the existing springs.

These are progressive rate springs and do not alter the attitude of the car solo,but gradually stiffen as load is applied. They are around £80 delivered fron Grayston.

Don't be tempted to fit their spring assistors,which in effect make 2 coils solid and increase the loading on the remaining coils.

Best,

Frank

Thanks Frank,

I remember fitting MAD auxilliary springs to a customers car years ago and he seemed happy enough as far as i can recall. I see you tow a Europa 460. My van is a Europa 490 so it,d be pretty similar as an overall outfit.

Colin

Sterling Elite Emerald

I also fitted Alko shocks to the van about 5 years ago and they turned a stable outfit into one with very carefree handling. Definitely money well spent. Several people knocked the idea as being of no benefit but shocks were fitted as standard on the continent and are now fitted by Swift Group for the UK market.

Best,

Frank

• 1 month later...
The rear suspension on the A6 of that age is the same as the B5. 5 Passat. We tow with a Passat TDI PD130 SE and that was soft at the back until I fitted Grayston auxilliary springs,which fit inside the existing springs.

These are progressive rate springs and do not alter the attitude of the car solo,but gradually stiffen as load is applied. They are around £80 delivered fron Grayston.

Don't be tempted to fit their spring assistors,which in effect make 2 coils solid and increase the loading on the remaining coils.

Best,

Frank

Frank

Did you fit these yourself? If so, how easy were they to fit?

Thanks

Andy

Andy

VW Passat Highline estate 130TDI 54 plate that was towing a 1993 Elddis Jetstream, but now sold.