Us & Them

pandas

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never noticed - used to be a motorhome owner and certainly don't remember being chilly towards caravanners. Meet people half way and with a smile, always seems to work for us.

Jan

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

Looking at other forums where the majority of members are motorhomers they do seem to have a different mind set in their approach to camping which is quite different from those of us that have caravans. I am not sure that many see it as camping but more a means of travelling. Having said that we have met some really nice motorhomers on our travels. Whilst a lot of motorhomers progress through the various types of camping before deciding on a motorhome I think there are as many again that buy a motorhome as their first experience of camping, particularly those that buy one as they retire. However I am not sure you can say that they are chilly towards caravaner's as a generality, lets face it many caravan owners seem to have a problem passing the time of day with you or even a good morning in some cases.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Not for the first time I would tend to agree with David. ........certainly many of the recently retired ones I have met, in particular in Europe,have no background of community caravanning i. e. belonging to a Club or attending Rallies/Meets etc. .they have not grown up with any 'spirit' just a desire to travel and not really interested in 'our movement' as a whole.

cheers

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Not for the first time I would tend to agree with David. ........certainly many of the recently retired ones I have met, in particular in Europe,have no background of community caravanning i. e. belonging to a Club or attending Rallies/Meets etc. .they have not grown up with any 'spirit' just a desire to travel and not really interested in 'our movement' as a whole.

cheers

geoff

I think you hit the nail on the head there Geoff.

Ey up!...somebody agreeing with me. .thanks pal doesn't happen very often!

cheers

geoff

Unfortunately there also seems to be an "exceedingly richer" attitude among some motorhomers, especially those who tow a 4x4 behind their massive motorhome as the on site "runabout".

I once saw a Hymer motorhome, which had, on the rear, in large letters "You've just been Hymenated", I assume in an attempt to annoy those people that the owners had just passed somewhere, and obviosuly with some respect towards the Terminator series of films. Shame they didn't actually check what the Hymen actually is before getting the logo printed and affixed to the rear of their Hymer. ...................anyone else who doesn't know should google and check for themselves.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Unfortunately there also seems to be an "exceedingly richer" attitude among some motorhomers, especially those who tow a 4x4 behind their massive motorhome as the on site "runabout".

I once saw a Hymer motorhome, which had, on the rear, in large letters "You've just been Hymenated", I assume in an attempt to annoy those people that the owners had just passed somewhere, and obviosuly with some respect towards the Terminator series of films. Shame they didn't actually check what the Hymen actually is before getting the logo printed and affixed to the rear of their Hymer. ...................anyone else who doesn't know should google and check for themselves.

If you go on any of the carefree Rallys abroad it is sort of expected that you offer the motorhomers a lift to any organized activities that are of site, to which my attitude is if ain't got no transport why should that be anyone else's problem

If you go on any of the carefree Rallys abroad it is sort of expected that you offer the motorhomers a lift to any organized activities that are of site, to which my attitude is if ain't got no transport why should that be anyone else's problem

not just on Carefree rallies - we have found some motorhomers who believe that they should be taken shopping. However, we have made good friends with many motorhomers and don't believe they look down on us.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I'm sorry but I think this is an extreme and unhelpful attitude to adopt and will do little to bring the 2 "sides" together, if that is needed. My experience of Carefree Rallies has been that those attending these rallies, whether in a caravan, motorhome, trailer tent ( a bit chilly on the winter rallies I would have thought) or whatever has been one of togetherness, and no one has ever suggested that it is expected of me to provide a taxi service to any motorhomer without back up wheels. The fact that I am happy to do so is purely voluntary on my part and those I have helped out in this way have always been very grateful.

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

Is there also perhaps some inverse snobbery and perhaps jeolousy towards perceived expensive motorhomes from the caravaning fraternity?

I just wonder if it is a case of 'attitudes' or 'perceptions'.

Personally I have never found one section 'chilly' to us and (I hope) we have never been 'chilly' to others.

Perhaps it also has something to do with what it is we expect from our 'hobby' - for us the caravan and/or motorhome (we have used both) is an excellent way of getting to places to enable us to explore the region, it gives us a 'home from home' and the convenience to move on when ever we wish to.

We do not go to sites looking for 'friends' nor do we expect people to be 'gushing' towards us. We are not gregarious types - in fact my wife is extremely shy - so we do not spend our time on a site going round wishing every one a 'good day'. For us once the daily chores are done we are off the site exploring the area.

On one site, where we had stayed for over a week, it was intimated that we were 'snobs' - this was because we did not join in the banter at the 'washing up' point, it was true (we did not join in the banter) BUT this was (and still is) due to the fact that we prefer to use our vans excellent facilities - after all we use the kitchen sink at home and don't cart the pots and pans off to the garden to wash them!

So again is it 'attitude' or 'perception' ?

Please note this is just an observation and not a criticism of other people ideas.

Edited by TedNewman

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I thought Hymer was something you knocked a nail in with?

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

Is there also perhaps some inverse snobbery and perhaps jeolousy towards perceived expensive motorhomes from the caravaning fraternity?

Er that would be no. And also what an extremely strange thread, I take people as I find them, be it in a tent, motorhome, tepee or caravan. I haven't met any people in motorhomes who expect to be taken shopping for goodness sake.

Some people are naturally aloof anyway and perhaps don't wish to be drawn into "witty banter", as just maybe they are shy? :rolleyes:

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

All caravaners and motorhome owners do look out for each other when on site I have always notice this when I`ve gone camping with my granparents when I was a children. And I shall do the same when I`ll go camping whether its with caravaners, motorhomes and campers, I do like to to mix with other pple and look out for each other, but I haven`t notices motorhome owners being upper classes to caravaners. . everyone helps each other I alway like to think so. ..

Edited by net

If you thinks that bad you should see the other tyres. ..

Hi all,

Probably there is someone on the keyboard right now saying exactly the same comment "do you think that caravanners are a bit chilly towards us campers"?

well i personally don't or toward motor caravanners, surely it is what your tate and needs are at that time, i was a camper for years when the kids were younger and progressed from a leaky frame tent up to a folding camper with all mod-cons and onto the van we have now and maybe later on we will have a motor-home although they are grossly overpriced im my opinion.

rustygates.

Personally I have found the majority of people, wether tentcampers, caravanners and motorhome owners are friendly people. And that includes the Germans ! Yes you will get some people who think their new van is better than yours. . Your holiday is only what you make it, except that my holiday will be better than yours :lol:

Regards
Ian

My in-laws own a very nice motor home and yes they do look down on me and my caravan, but am I bothered. Nope as when they pass away, I will get the motor home anyway. ;)

Edited by Ginner

[

My in-laws own a very nice motor home and yes they do look down on me and my caravan, but am I bothered. Nope as when they pass away, I will get the motor home anyway. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Regards
Ian

Ps I will sell the motor home as caravanning is the life for me, am new to it and went on my maiden voyage to Filey this weekend, very good trip, mastered all the gadgets in the van and managed to erect the awning without having to seek marriage guidance too.

[

Welcome Ginner into the light . ......

geoff

Welcome Ginner into the light . ......

geoff

Thank you Geoff, do not wish any ill on the in-laws by the way, oops I never thought they may be members here too, better keep a low profile in future I think.

[

In purely financial terms most motorhomes are worth more than caravans but I wouldn't buy a motorhome if I won the lottery. I like my van as a base and I prefer to have the freedom of a car to travel around. Too much hassle trying to 'reserve' a pitch and trying to park a leviathan in a town.

In purely financial terms most motorhomes are worth more than caravans but I wouldn't buy a motorhome if I won the lottery. I like my van as a base and I prefer to have the freedom of a car to travel around. Too much hassle trying to 'reserve' a pitch and trying to park a leviathan in a town.

Yes this is why (amongst other things ) we returned to the Caravan even though we towed a small car too. ,and we spoke to everyone that would speak to us, in fact more people came and spoke to us so they could look at the motorhome, and get a guided tour. but for us the Caravan is best, each to their own.

Shiba.

If Only.