Atc Fault

I have a strange fault with my Al-Ko ATC which started on Thursday when we arrived on site. It appears to work normally whilst towing (the green light is on continuously) but when I connected to the mains power then the ATC light flashed Red accompanied by the clicking of a relay (roughly 1 flash and click/second).

When I disconnected from the mains then the light went out and the clicking stopped. Reconnect the mains and both light and clicking started again.

I rang Al-Ko and a very helpful chap advised me to disconnect the mains, reconnect the aux towing electrics and allow the ATC self-test to operate. Eventually this cleared the problem, after many attempts.

Rang Al-ko again and he thought this was related to the brakes being left on, perhaps due to me having forgotten and activated the breakaway cable :o when moving my car.

All well and good until returning home this afternoon. The ATC is malfunctioning again but this time the problem won't clear (and this time I haven't activated the breakaway cable :rolleyes: ).

I've always had the ATC light on when connected to the mains before but it wasn't until talking to Al-Ko that I discovered this isn't normal operation. Also, this is the first time that I get a frequent relay clicking which will probably prevent sleep if not fixed before we go away next time.

I've tried ringing Al-Ko but keep getting their answering machine telling me they open Monday-Friday - perhaps they have an extended holiday?

Anyone else had this problem?

Apart from saying that I have never had the light on -- only when conected to the car -- then it makes a whirrring sound -- The fact that the light was on when conected to the EHU seems to me that there must be a wire crossed somwhere. .

Was it a retro fit at the AlKo factory -- or a manufacturers fit?

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

My ATC light only comes on when connected to the car.

Mine too, i fail to see how hooking the van up to the mains can effect the ATC at all, it is a 12 volt system run from the car, not even from the vans 12 volts battery, so how on earth can the mains be effecting it?? hopefully wiser people in these matters on here will have the answer.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Mine too, i fail to see how hooking the van up to the mains can effect the ATC at all, it is a 12 volt system run from the car, not even from the vans 12 volts battery, so how on earth can the mains be effecting it?? hopefully wiser people in these matters on here will have the answer.

Phil.

Hi Phil

My take on the ATC problem is that the car is possibly being 'back fed' from the EHU and because of incorrect wiring in the

car presents as an ATC fault (which it could still be) but you and others suggest not - but it isn't really beyond the bounds

of possibility that ALKO hasn't tested the ATC with a van on EHU and the 12S still connected - lets face it they think that

jacking up a twin axle on dodgy ground or being forced to have a mover makes sense to secure a van ;-) so who knows. ..

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

My ATC was retro fitted -- and one of the things that they do at the factory is check both the car wiring and the caravan wiring -- if they aren't right they don't proceed.

I have [fingers crossed] never had any problems. .

I would suggest that he gets on to Alko and speaks to them -- they are very good on the phone -- Paul I think the guys name is -- and ask advice. .

Certainly this must be considered as an urgent matted as it is to do with the breaking-system of the vehicle. .

[for my two pence worth]

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

The fault is probably in the caravan as it occurred when not connected to the car. Possibly a faulty relay in the caravan or wired incorrectly. Presumably the ATC is still under warranty so suggest you let Al-Ko sort it out. Would be interested to know what the cause is

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for asking.

Al-Ko offered to tow my caravan back to their factory to investigate the fault. As I was preparing the caravan to be towed, I switched off the battery charger and the fault cleared.

I tried every variation to get the fault back but it wouldn't return. I decided not to send the caravan unless the fault re-occurred.

At the moment I don't know if the fault has gone or is just intermittent. However, the fault has only ever occurred when connected to the mains and self test indications show that ATC is working normally on 12V for towing purposes. Al-Ko have been very helpful throughout this and we have talked it through at length.

The next major test will be next weekend when we are away, I'm hoping that the fault either doesn't re-occur or occurs permanently so that it can be traced.

• 3 weeks later...