Will Adding A Couple Of Mains Sockets Invalidate My Warranty?

I would like to add 2 more 240v sockets in the caravan, one inside and one on the out side for the awning, will this invalidate my warranty. The Caravan is new Feb 2009. Also would like to add a BBQ point so we don't have to lug a gas bottle out of the front locker. Any thoughts would be appriciated. It's a Sprite Major 5.

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tephi

Hi princejim

You don’t say whether you are fitting them yourself or the dealer is?

I had an extra internal & external socket fitted by the dealer before I collected my Alpine and would be surprised if this wasn’t covered by the warranty.

Steve

The degree of tolerance probably depends, in the first instance, with the strictness applied by the van manufacturer. Then there is the question of (a)whether you are competent to do your own DIY, and (B) if the van maker would accept your reasssurance of that competence; if that's the way you plan to do the work.

For the manufacturer, there are 3 main issues: 1. water ingress, 2. electrical safety and 3. gas regulations.

The manufacturer may approve of the work, without compromising your warranty, if it is entrusted to a qualified workshop approved by that manufacturer.

So your first priority is to establish what the van maker will accept, and by whom, without affecting your warranty.

I would be prepared for any modifications to be subject to the care of a professional workshop, as a condition for keeping the warranty protected. In which case, the cost of the van, plus these modifications, could well be higher than if you had aimed for a higher level of spec in the first place.

Edited by The 2 Tops

According to my other half, a caravan is ( per the 17th edition of IEE Regulations ) a "special location " so care has to be taken to ensure the installation is compliant with the regs and certified as such, He is suggesting that should there be any problems with the 240v installation and the manufacturer becomes aware of alterations, they may not honour any warranty issues arising

wouldn't have thought that any manufacturer would honour a warranty if an individual had cut holes in the caravan skin to insert gas/electric connections - never mind the extensions to the internal wiring and gas system.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

If you alter the wiring you can\'t expect the manufacturer to give a warranty on your work or any damage caused to the existing wiring etc

But its not difficult if you are able to match 3 wires colour for colour and are a competent D I Y er

So long as you link into the existing circuits either behind a plug socket or by using an adapter and trailing socket/s from an existing socket such as a microwave or fridge you will still be protected by the van trips

I always plug in my Martindale tester on completion to check earth and polarity

http://www. tlc-direct. co. uk/Products/TLRMT. ..CFUEt3godjydPSA

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

As a caravan is not covered by any regulations whatsoever, and there is NO qualifications needed to service, fit or modify one, i would be interested to see what a manufacturer could deny warranty on UNLESS any work severely compromised either the water ingress sealing, or any item on which the manufacturer has given a warranty.

Ive fitted, moved and changed a lot of sockets in my new van and as there isnt a warranty on what ive done, there cant be a denial or refusal of it!!!

Anyone who is "competent" can service, and repair a caravan. Its a trailer in law, nothing more. So as long as any work you do can be, if ever needed, backed up by some form of self certification of competency, i cant see a problem.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

As a caravan is not covered by any regulations whatsoever, and there is NO qualifications needed to service, fit or modify one, i would be interested to see what a manufacturer could deny warranty on UNLESS any work severely compromised either the water ingress sealing, or any item on which the manufacturer has given a warranty.

Ive fitted, moved and changed a lot of sockets in my new van and as there isnt a warranty on what ive done, there cant be a denial or refusal of it!!!

Anyone who is "competent" can service, and repair a caravan. Its a trailer in law, nothing more. So as long as any work you do can be, if ever needed, backed up by some form of self certification of competency, i cant see a problem.

I tend to agree my last van was a Sterling europa which only had 2 mains sockets I bought the correct sockets from the dealers and a friend of mine who is an electrician fitted them for me,the van was only 2years old but i was prepared to have them fitted by someone who was competent. When you take your car in for service i think you would be shocked to find out that many garages do not employ mechanics who have had appropriate training and experience ie competent

As a caravan is not covered by any regulations whatsoever,

SORRY WRONG

I suggest you obtain a copy of THE 17th EDITION BS7671 Go to page 209 and read section 721 .

"ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS IN CARAVANS AND MOTOR CARAVANS "

Edited by Elldisrod

WRONG

I suggest you obtain a copy of THE 17th EDITION BS7671 Go to page 209 and read section 721 .

How could anyone believe, with all the associated possible hazards, not to mention close proximity of other outfits, that a caravan is not subjected to regulations.

In addition to the above regulations, all caravans (UK at least) have to have their design and build approved by the National Caravan Council. So any alterations that compromise the safety levels and/or integrity of the van will automatically give the manufacturer the legal option to invalidate the warranty.

Guest John KS

Have installed lots of sockets in new vans in the past and as long as you make them safe and install them the same way as the manufacturer I can't see a problem. If you get it wrong then all it will do is trip the circuit breaker. Make sure you use the same colour sockets.

Edited by John KS

Just spoken to my dealer about the subject of fitting sockets etc. ..

-- The warranty on the caravan would stand

-- BUT - and he emphasised that if any fault occurred that could be attributed to the fitting of the sockets or adaption of the wiring the the warranty would be invalid

- unless fitted by an authorised caravan service agent of the manufacturer. .

seems about right to me. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

SORRY WRONG

Rod is correct,

Having spoken to someone who is qualified

The IEE Regulations, or BS 7671, is a very convoluted document where a set of regulations for general installations are laid down, then qualified for each type of installation. Much of the content requires cross referencing to clarify particular types of installation, in the case of a caravan which is dealt with in section 721

In the case of caravans much of the general content of the regs holds good, with special mention with regard to the use of flexible wiring as opposed to solid ( Twin and Earth )

Earthing, protection by trip switches, bonding etc all apply, Circuit breakers HAVE to be double pole, the type of power inlet and its location is subject to regulation.

The wiring in relation to gas storage is subject to regulation

12v and mains systems have to be a separate as practicable and has a specific regulation.

So whilst it may not invalidate a warranty, if undertaken by an unqualified person it will fall under the contravention of the IEE Regulations.

We also need to be mindful that individually expressed opinion does not supercede professional advice.

GPS

Just spoken to my dealer about the subject of fitting sockets etc. ..

-- (a) The warranty on the caravan would stand

-- (B) BUT - and he emphasised that if any fault occurred that could be attributed to the fitting of the sockets or adaption of the wiring the the warranty would be invalid

-- © unless fitted by an authorised caravan service agent of the manufacturer. .

seems about right to me. .

Maurice

(a) This comment that the warranty would stand, also carries a proviso (B) indicative that it wouldn't in the event of a fault not traceable to the van manufacturer.

© This may still invalidate the warranty because, even if the manufacturer concedes a modification carried out by a recognised workshop, in the event of a serious fault on the part of that service agent, the manufacturer is not going to accept the resultant costs involved. It isn't quite the same as a recognised agent repairing faults to the original spec of the van. The argument would be between the owner and agent. Depending on the quality of work and/or the seriousness of the damage (e. g. fire), the manufacturer may well withdraw the unexpired remainder of the warranty.

Edited by The 2 Tops

(a) This comment that the warranty would stand, also carries a proviso (B) indicative that it wouldn't in the event of a fault not traceable to the van manufacturer.

© This may still invalidate the warranty because, even if the manufacturer concedes a modification carried out by a recognised workshop, in the event of a serious fault on the part of that service agent, the manufacturer is not going to accept the resultant costs involved. It isn't quite the same as a recognised agent repairing faults to the original spec of the van. The argument would be between the owner and agent. Depending on the quality of work and/or the seriousness of the damage (e. g. fire), the manufacturer may well withdraw the unexpired remainder of the warranty.

There are two issues here.

1) Caravan manufacturer's warranty. Unless any modification could be attributed to causing a related problem then the caravan warranty is valid.

2) The question of warranty for the modification rests with the person doing the work.

Therefore, a water leak at an additional external gas/electric socket is not the caravan manufacturer's responsibilty ( and could not reasonably expected to be) but it could not invalidate a claim for a leak at a roof vent or road light mounting.

A fire caused by faulty modification work is the responsibilty of the person that did it, be it DIY or professionally carried out.

There are two issues here.

1) Caravan manufacturer's warranty. Unless any modification could be attributed to causing a related problem then the caravan warranty is valid.

2) The question of warranty for the modification rests with the person doing the work.

Therefore, a water leak at an additional external gas/electric socket is not the caravan manufacturer's responsibilty ( and could not reasonably expected to be) but it could not invalidate a claim for a leak at a roof vent or road light mounting.

A fire caused by faulty modification work is the responsibilty of the person that did it, be it DIY or professionally carried out.

That's exactly as I see it BJ

So often you see people posting words that imply don't do anything or you will invalidate the warranty for the whole caravan

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

So often you see people posting words that imply don't do anything or you will invalidate the warranty for the whole caravan

That's probably why people change their caravans so quickly, rather than adapt what they have.

Well! - that, and keeping up with the 'Jones'

OK then a new scenario --

I am about to purchase a NEW caravan . .

-- but it has no mains front bulkhead lights and I want two fitted

-- the socket near the floor at the front chest is in the wrong position for us and I want it moved or another fitted higher behind the chest.

-- I want a socket in the wardrobe in the end bathroom

the dealer has agreed to fit all of these prior to me taking delivery of the new van. .

This is when I asked him about "self fitting" and the effect on the warranty. . :o

They are a main dealer -- and an approved workshop.

He said they would have two options

1) pass my requests through on their order prior to manufacturer for them to be fitted at works

2) fit them all themselves. .

either option will NOT invalidate my warranty

But if I chose to self fit then it might possibly invalidate it. .

Delivery of the modified van from the manufacturer -- 2nd week June (week 24)

SORRY WRONG

Can you quote the relevant details Rod, as i will stand to be corrected. Though i was under the impression a TOURING caravan is a TRAILER, nothing more. Whereas a STATIC caravan is covered by electrical and gas regulations.

Hence why a touring engineer does not have to have any qualifications, because there arent any in existence covering touring caravans.

Static = caravan

Tourer = trailer.

Grandpa Steve, how do you mean "qualified"? Are you talking about an electrician, because there isnt any "qualifications" for a touring caravan engineer in existence.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Grandpa Steve, how do you mean "qualified"? Are you talking about an electrician, because there isn't any "qualifications" for a touring caravan engineer in existence.

The advice I was given by an electrical engineer who has a copy of THE 17th EDITION BS7671, tells me it states that the general rules covered by the 17th Edition of the IEE Regs covers all electrical installations and extends to including caravans and motor caravans, section 721 makes specific provisions for "ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS IN CARAVANS AND MOTOR CARAVANS ", such things as being able to use 13 amp flex as opposed to flat twin and earth, and the provision to where possible keep 12v separate and distinguishable from 240v.

If you search the internet you will see that all the press releases and information regarding the 17th Edition make specific mention of Section 721 in relation to electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans.

GPS

The 17th Edition of the “Requirements for Electrical Installations “ BS7671 :2008 came into effect 1st July 2008

All installations designed after that date have to comply with BS7671:2008

So for the purposes of this thread an addition to a circuit within a caravan ( even though the caravan may been designed up to 2/3 years ago ) will have been “designed “ after July 2008 and therefore needs to comply with the new regulations

The new regulations now cover a great many “Special installations “in section 7 instead of in the body of the regulations

For example Bathrooms, Swimming pools / Jacuzzi areas, Construction sites Farms etc

So far as mobile units are concerned Exhibition stands, catering vans ( burger bars) , mobile control units, such as would be used by the emergency services, and at last !! mobile fairground rides, and CARAVANS / MOTORHOMES

Our interest is caravans and motor homes and as as been said before these installations are covered in section 721, which in the copy of the regs I have starts on page 209,

This section also makes it clear that it is not applicable to a mobile home /residential park caravan only to a touring caravan for habitation purposes

I make no comment on how these regulations are applied or should be followed, except to say, that if a manufacturer can find a way out of honouring a guarantee ….. :rolleyes:

I hope this clarification helps

At the end of the day -- it matters NOT what we say about regulations or ANYTHING --

It is totally up to the Dealer and the Manufacturer -- whether or not they consider the terms of their warranty breached. .

If they say that it has -- then YOU will have a fight to prove YOUR case. .

Take advice from your dealer --

end of story. .

ive done the cito / ncc electrical course, and caravans, motorhomes and self build campers are classed as leisure vehicles in the 17ed regs,

the thing is nearly all new van dont comply with the 17ed regs, well they didnt at the nec in feb

Edited by inthenightgarden