Fridge Light

Gilbs

Sometimes the light inside the fridge comes on when the door is opened and other times it doesn't. Any ideas?

It's not a major issue but it's a bit frustrating not being able to work out why it happens.

Abbey 418 GTS 2007

Sometimes the light inside the fridge comes on when the door is opened and other times it doesn't. Any ideas?

It's not a major issue but it's a bit frustrating not being able to work out why it happens.

Abbey 418 GTS 2007

If the door isn't quite shut that happens with our Thetford

It seems that if the door is loaded up it needs a shove at the bottom to close properly :rolleyes:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Gilbs,

I have asked Thetford to confirm the answer, and I / they will respond.

Thanks,

Ash

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Abbey 418 GTS 2007

Sounds like the magnet may have dropped in side the door cavity or the bulb is on a timer of approx 2 mins

If the door is left slightly open the light goes off after a while presumably on a timer to avoid wasting the battery

When you then open the door fully the light doesn't come on because it doesn't sense any change

Or that's how it seems

That would explain your intermittent on/off and is exactly how our fridge performs

If the door is left slightly open the light goes off after a while presumably on a timer to avoid wasting the battery

When you then open the door fully the light doesn't come on because it doesn't sense any change

Or that's how it seems

That would explain your intermittent on/off and is exactly how our fridge performs

We had exactly this on our old swift, rectified by the dealer adjusting the hinge somehow, to prevent it looking closed but actually being open a wee tad, just enough to trigger the light initially. The "press with the foot at the bottom of the door" solution worked well for the 3 weekends whilst waiting the service "slot" at the dealers . . :)

Gilbs,

I have asked Thetford to confirm the answer, and I / they will respond.

Thanks,

Ash

It would be helpful to know if the door can be easily adjusted without removing the fridge

Regards

I have received a response from Thetford, which is as follows:

"It sounds like the reed switch is not locating with the door magnet properly. The reed switch is located in the top left side of the cabinet and other than replacing it there is no real adjustment. The door height however can be adjusted by adding / removing washers on the bottom bracket (on a LCD fridge the display panel will need to be removed). "

I hope that helps.

Ash

"It sounds like the reed switch is not locating with the door magnet properly. The reed switch is located in the top left side of the cabinet and other than replacing it there is no real adjustment. The door height however can be adjusted by adding / removing washers on the bottom bracket (on a LCD fridge the display panel will need to be removed). "

I hope that helps.

Ash

Thanks that's what I did on the first fridge

Its nice to be doing something right :D

I hope that helps.

Ash

Thanks Ash,

would this be covered under the warranty or is the fridge only covered for a year?

Gilbs

Hi Gilbs,

The fridge has a three year warranty, so yes,

Thanks

Andy

Edited by SwiftGroup

Hi Gibbs,

Thanks

Andy

After the good news from Swift I was wondering if you had checked if the light was on with the door shut? <_< :D

Edited by caraman1

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

After the good news from Swift I was wondering if you had checked if the light was on with the door shut? <_< :D

I haven't, but how would I be able to do that?

Hi Gilbs,

Thanks

Andy

Thanks again Andy,

I will book it in for it's annual service and tell them in advance so that they can get the part in stock ready.

Really appreciate your help.

Gilbs

Sounds like the magnet may have dropped in side the door cavity or the bulb is on a timer of approx 2 mins

Looks like you were spot on Tradetech, shame I don't live in the N. West, then I could get you to sort it out and the strange leak on the tap!!

Cheers Gilbs

Looks like you were spot on Tradetech, shame I don't live in the N. West, then I could get you to sort it out and the strange leak on the tap!!

Cheers Gilbs

it would have been all sorted by now LOL

I still think that it may just be the door not shutting properly as then the magnet would still be out of line with the reed switch

Its been like that on both our Thetford fridges