12v System Not Working

vizzy

Message added by CT Advertising,

EHU power cuts during the evening, what a time to discover the 12v system wasn't working,

During a few power outages on the EHU I found the 12v side of things wasn't working. Power went so I found the panel and switched to VAN. Nothing! I couldn't get any of the lights to work when I switched over to the VAN position, or any other position for that matter. Today when we got home, I check the battery and the little green dot is visable plus I connected a couple of car headlamps to it, no point checking an open voltage with a meter and they were nice and bright. So the battery appear to be fully charged. The caravan's panel shows it is charging as the voltage display is varying between 13. 6 and 14. 2.

Now it is quite possible that I'm being a thick and missing something reeeally obvious but I can't see what. Or there is a fault, but where? Everything works ok when on mains. BTW its a 2007 Abbey 520.

Chris

BMW 520d MSport Tourer - Abbey Freestyle

I assume you have checked all the 12v fuses?

Also you may find that only one or two of the lights are 12v and the rest are 230v.

EHU power cuts during the evening, what a time to discover the 12v system wasn't working,

During a few power outages on the EHU I found the 12v side of things wasn't working. Power went so I found the panel and switched to VAN. Nothing! I couldn't get any of the lights to work when I switched over to the VAN position, or any other position for that matter. Today when we got home, I check the battery and the little green dot is visable plus I connected a couple of car headlamps to it, no point checking an open voltage with a meter and they were nice and bright. So the battery appear to be fully charged. The caravan's panel shows it is charging as the voltage display is varying between 13. 6 and 14. 2.

Now it is quite possible that I'm being a thick and missing something reeeally obvious but I can't see what. Or there is a fault, but where? Everything works ok when on mains. BTW its a 2007 Abbey 520.

Chris

Chris

Hi Chris,

The one I missed once on the dockside at Cherbourg (the van worked great on EHU when we left the site) was an inline fuse just the onboard side of the battery box and (I use this as my excuse) it was tucked under the battery box housing in the bed box!

In my case it was in a 1998 Sterling Eccles Emerald.

Hope you find your cause soon.

G.

Does not your water system work on 12volts? Without knowing more specifically about your van I would hazard a guess that the master light switch is off. On many vans this is situated at the door, so when you leave you can be confident you haven't left any lights on.

Check your caravan to car plugs on the caravan side, you may have a short circuit even though your not connected to the car, which is operating the habitation relay preventing the 12 volt system from operating.

Tonight I had a chance to have another look at it. I had checked the one fuse panel I knew about and they were ok. But with a your suggestions and finding the wiring diagram, I found the fault. The spade connect to the 20amp fuse carrier had come adrift. Plugged it in and PRESTO! things started to come to life. On the weekend I'm going to compress the spade connector a bit to make sure it doesn't drift apart again. But you learn something all the time.

Chapmag thanks for the clue after looking at the panel I didn't think of an inline fuse, it was in a similar place.

So thanks for all the replies.

Chris

BMW 520d MSport Tourer - Abbey Freestyle

Glad to be of help.

G.

P. S. Love that part of Hampshire we are regular visitors to Jobes at Durley and Rookesbury Park, Wickham is our local CC site!

• 3 years later...

Realised today that my old Abbey 212 GTS has a similar problem. The fuses are fine, it seems ok when plugged onto the car, but other than that, no charge to the 12v side and not working from the battery either.

A mint Volvo 940 Celebration and an Abbey 212 GTS

We had an Abbey GTS, it had a line fuse under some trunking in the RH front underseat box. It took some finding-and was not shown on wiring diagram! It had blown-no 12V :unsure:

I amended wiring diagram, known as "secret Abbey fuse"!

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I had a similar problem and found the centre wire had come of the back of the Van/Off/Car switch.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

• 1 month later...

Well had a look and found a 10w spade fuse blown. It is situated under a trapdoor in the bottom of the wardrobe.
Thanks for your help guys. :-)

ADMIN NOTE. ......... You may not have realized but you high-jacked an old post from 2009

I would try to start a New one if you have a problem in future. ;)

A mint Volvo 940 Celebration and an Abbey 212 GTS

If the fuse was faulty, not connected or blown. ...how did the battery get charged, the OP has stated that it was fully charged with his caravans meter confirming over 13. 6 volts?

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

• 6 years later...

I have a bailey Ancona 2014 & had a service yesterday, which says on paperwork battery ok.  I now have no 12v working unless on electric.  Any ideas?  I have recharged the battery but that was ok & the control panel in the van won’t work without being on mains

Edited by Teresa phillips
Spelling

Take it back/contact whoever serviced it! Sounds like they may have “done” something and they need to “undo” whatever it was.

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

13 minutes ago, Teresa phillips said:

I have a bailey Ancona 2014 & had a service yesterday, which says on paperwork battery ok.  I now have no 12v working unless on electric.  Any ideas?  I have recharged the battery but that was ok & the control panel in the van won’t work without being on mains

Check the fuse in the battery lead, follow the lead through the back of the battery box and you will find an inline fuse which is possibly blown.

9 hours ago, Teresa phillips said:

Will check that tomorrow to see if it has one x thanks

It definitely will have one, often hidden and hard to find but it will be there. On the inside follow the red lead from the battery, you'll find it.

Also give the service place a ring to see if they can shed any light, the could have disturbed something or knocked a switch etc.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have found the problem,  it was the connection under the seat for 12v had come apart.  Thanks for all the advise it’s working now xxx

I'm glad you have it sorted and thanks for getting back to us :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 1 year later...

I have a bailey Orion.  Volt meter , lights etc work when hooked up but not off the leisure battery. Please help