Alko 3004 Stabilizer Friction Pads-cleaning Contaminants Off

Mickyblueyes

First trip post returning from service (quietly) the stabiliser is squeeking on lateral turns. I religiously clean the ball before hitching but wonder if I missed something as I also tow a Ifor trailer regularly that needs grease.

So what is the best thing to clean them with ?brake cleaner? or have they had it and need replacing.

Having had a scan through other threads it seems that noseweight can be an issue which I could check. My tow vehicle has a high 150kg max which isn't really going to get exceeded but what is the max on a 3004 (van is a Bailey Pag6 Bordeaux).

Any thoughts appreciated.

If the pads are contaminated then they need cleaning with fine sand paper, remember to do all four pads.

Sometime road dirt can get into the pads and cause problems and some person even suggested that diesel engine exhausts can cause problems.

These pads are an expensive item.

Brian

the max nose weight of the AKS 3004 stabiliser is 100kg. Make sure the pads are clean, use brake cleaner, meths or even white spirit (but I feel that white spirit is a bit oily). Don't forget to make sure that the towball is pristine - no paint, or grease, give it a wipe before you couple up. We tend to get a noise after towing for a long time, I don't think it's detrimental, just irritating

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

First trip post returning from service (quietly) the stabiliser is squeeking on lateral turns. I religiously clean the ball before hitching but wonder if I missed something as I also tow a Ifor trailer regularly that needs grease.

So what is the best thing to clean them with ?brake cleaner? or have they had it and need replacing.

Having had a scan through other threads it seems that noseweight can be an issue which I could check. My tow vehicle has a high 150kg max which isn't really going to get exceeded but what is the max on a 3004 (van is a Bailey Pag6 Bordeaux).

Any thoughts appreciated.

After using the trailer I use a petrol soaked rag to clean off the oil, dry that with a clean cloth, then use brake cleaner to remove the petrol residue.

I keep a couple of those Spontex Green Utility Scouring Pads (£2. 99 for 10 from Screwfix), a tin of brake cleaner and a clean cloth in the back of the car. The scouring pad will remove road dirt or corrosion from the tow ball without wearing the ball away as much as emery paper. I gave the ball a wipe every time before I hitch up.

You can use brake cleaner or an electrical contact cleaner, but never use white spirit or meths, they both leave a residue.

I have never had any noise from the Alko hitch.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Thanks guys

Use a scouring pad (not wire wool) and brake cleaner on ball plus wipe dry religiously, but never cleaned the pads before so didn't want to affect them without checking.

I have sourced a new pair of side friction pads for £10 inc postage but will try cleaning before replacing them, and will double check nose weight.

;)

Micky.

By all means check your noseweight and make sure you are not exceeding the caravan limit of 100kg, but this is not related to your hitch creaking. Cleaning the pads and removing the glaze from the pad surface should cure it and should also make it a little more stable as it will have more grip on the towball. The pads are supposed to last 30,000 miles so doubt if you need new ones.

Brian

I once changed mine on the way to Spain as the coupling was making a dreadful noise

They appeared to be crazed so I returned them to Alko for comments

They came back afew days later as new with the comment that it was probaby contamination from diesel smoke etc

With the first X Trail that was VERY likely :rolleyes:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Hello all,

The likely cause of the creaking is the build up of diesel particles clinging onto the tow ball and friction pads. Hence the reason for recommending cleaning the ball and friction pads before every journey.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

AL-KO Kober Limited

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

The likely cause of the creaking is the build up of diesel particles clinging onto the tow ball and friction pads. Hence the reason for recommending cleaning the ball and friction pads before every journey.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

AL-KO Kober Limited

Hi Paul,

What would you recommend we use to clean the ball and friction pads with?

Regards,

Shellslapmc

Hi Shellslapmc

As suggested previously here using brake cleaner and emery paper is a good place to start. We recommend that the towball and friction pads are rubbed over with the emery paper before every journey to ensure they are as clean as possible.

Doing this will maintain the life expectancy of the friction pads.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Hi Shellslapmc

As suggested previously here using brake cleaner and emery paper is a good place to start. We recommend that the towball and friction pads are rubbed over with the emery paper before every journey to ensure they are as clean as possible.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks Paul

How much is a New set of friction pads?

How often should they be changed any way?

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Maurice,

Friction Pads are £26. 84 + Postage and packing for each pack. You will need one set of front and rear pads and one set of side pads. They can be ordered from our online shop at www. al-ko. co. uk.

If kept in good condition, i. e. cleaned before each journey along with the towball they should last somewhere in the region of 20,000 to 25,000 miles.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Hi Shellslapmc

Hope this helps.

Paul

Hi

have also suffered with this problem, however what grade emery paper would you recommend.

Thank you

Trident

Hi

have also suffered with this problem, however what grade emery paper would you recommend.

Thank you

Trident

You are just lightly roughing the surface of the pad to remove the glaze that occurs on the pads from them being polished by being in contact with the towball, you should use "Fine" emery paper.

Steve

. ......or about a tenner off ebay.

So is it part of the Bi -annual maintenance -- change the pads??

not worth bothering to do any thing else !!

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Maurice,

I'm not actually sure that this is covered under the vehicle maintenance/service schedule. If in doubt though ask your service provider to check the condition or wear of the pads.

Alternatively to check them yourself, take a look at the red soft dock on the front of the stabiliser, you should see a rectangular box on either side. You should also see two arrow heads on either "arm". To judge side friction pad wear, when you have coupled up to the towball and start to press the staibiliser handle down, the arrow heads should line up somewhere near the bottom of the rectangle box, when the pads first come into contact with the towball. If the arrow heads line up with the upper half of the box then the pads are showing signs of wear and will need changing sooner rather than later.

To check the condition of the front and rear pads, check that the indicator just below the coupling handle is green. If not and you can only see the red section then there is sufficient wear to justify changing the pads, but you should also check the towball diameter as this may also have worn over time.

If you need anything further, jsut let me know.

Kind regards,

Paul

I did mine yesterday using a small wire brush in the electric dill and finishing with emery

They were as bad as the ones I posted about above but not as noisy

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

• 1 month later...
Trident,

The grade of emery paper you should look to use is between 100 and 120 grade.

regards,

Paul

Hi paul,

just an idea, the plastic ball, that is inserted when not towing, could you use a similar idea, with an emery paper surface, as a cleaning tool. That way all 4 pads would be in position and twisting the grit ball would do the cleaning of the pads in a uniform manner. Obviously you would still need to rinse the pads down with brake cleaner.

Kevin

Vauxhall Insignia SRi Nav 160 Auto, 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Valencia