Gas Bottles

pitgirl

we don't know where to get gas bottles and what size we live in epsom surrey and have got a swift challenger 1988

Try your local caravan dealer !

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Go to the local tip. You should be able to get some cylinders for a LOT less. They are likely to be empty so you can then swap them for the size/type you want.

I use and recommend 2x 4. 5kg butane or 3. 9kg propane. Unless you are going to spend a long time in Europe, these will give you more than enough gas and means that you have a replacement when one runs out. Having small bottles also helps to keep the noseweight down.

Roger

GREYHOUNDS MAKE GREAT PETS

Swift Challenger and Kia Sorento XS Auto

The local tip is a good place to get a couple of empty bottles. (Slip the guy a few quid :o) ) otherwise you'll end up paying a £30 deposit per bottle if you go with calor. But they will exchange any size bottle for a different size. Eg u can swap a 6kg propane for a 15 kg propane. Or butane to propane.

The local tip is a good place to get a couple of empty bottles. (Slip the guy a few quid :o) )

I think it is better to call it an adminisrating charge or recycle charge (for their tea fund ;) ) as the staff are not allowed to sell them, we dont want to get into trouble with the local Authorities who control the waste recycling centre. :)

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

The common cylinders in use are Calor and B. P.

Both of them do lightweight cylinders. It might pay you to get these from the start, especially if you have a noseweight problem.

Do a search on Calor Lite and B. P. Lite on the forum. You'll find various threads on the issue with pros and cons of each.

Scales

The local tip is a good place to get a couple of empty bottles. (Slip the guy a few quid :o) ) otherwise you'll end up paying a £30 deposit per bottle if you go with calor. But they will exchange any size bottle for a different size. Eg u can swap a 6kg propane for a 15 kg propane. Or butane to propane.

the local tip will not sell you a gas bottle any more as they are no longer allowed to do so. Pity as that's how I got mine.

Jeff

the local tip will not sell you a gas bottle any more as they are no longer allowed to do so. Pity as that's how I got mine.

Jeff

It's not the local tip that's doing the selling if you know what I mean. ;) Discretion being the better. .......way of getting a bottle?

There are usually plenty of large ones lying around our local laybys. How do the "dumpers" get the full bottles if they haven't got an empty to exchange. . On second thoughts ignore that.

Edited by beejay

There are usually plenty of large ones lying around our local laybys. How do the "dumpers" get the full bottles if they haven't got an empty to exchange. . On second thoughts ignore that.

It's because the large bottles are free - there is no deposit to be returned.

We run our household gas cooker on 47kg bottles of propane. The bottles themselves are "free" - there is no initial charge and you just pay for the gas (no doubt that pays for the bottle as well over time). When we changed from Calor to a different supplier of propane we again got "free" bottles but nobody is keen to take their old ones back unless we buy more gas from them.

A pretty wasteful system. Shame it doesn't apply to caravan-size bottles. ..

Bry