Door Delamination

coachman

I see that on earlier Coachman topics about doors delaminating and some quoting "veneer" which is is not. It is resin paper with the chosen pattern on and than vacuum pressed/formed . This type of finish over time with dampness and other type of conditions result in delamination, one way of glueing it back into place is with PVA glue. If it is only the edge which is coming off you can get away with masking tape to hold it into position whilst drying. If in the inner panel what i did was to make a very fine slit in the corner of that panel and insert pva as far as what ever you are using without causing more covering to come loose, then slide the glue as far as required, then press fimly coming back to the corner so that any surplus pva comes out the slit you have made. I placed a sheet of thin plastic over the bulge where it was followed by a piece of flat plywood and a heavy weight on that and leave for 24 hours. Doing this it was a succesful repair. Question how long did Coachman continue with these coverings as i knew about 20 years ago that they are rubbish and have seen enough kitchens where customers doors have "gone". Of course this is how i done my repairs and it is down to the individual how much they are prepared to do without causing more delamination by inserting to much glue without getting the surplus out.

I have not had a door delamination problem but I have had the wood effect pattern paper peeling off on the wooden cupboard surrounds at roof level, where the boards have been cut to fit the shaped form of the roofline. I repaired with PVA with medium success - it does tend to peel again but is quite easily and almost invisibly repaired as described above. I use a tiny artist's paintbrush to get the pva in, then press out with fingers and wipe clean.

I blamed the initial peeling after just over 1 year to being left unattended and closed up in full sun in the south of France. I do not have my 'van serviced by a recognised dealer so I could not claim a warranty job, but I know the PVA method is the method used by the dealers for the repair anyway.

Not a huge problem - more an annoyance, really.

Edited by oxter