Loo Breaks Etc

southcoastsounds

A stupid question I expect but we're fairly new to this -

- when you need to stop in a lay-by for a loo-break, do you have to put all four steadies down, even though you're not unhitching?

Thanks, Tom

No the van being connected to the towball prevents problems, just for a quick visit there is no need for any steady at all, the van may move a little but there is no chance of it up ending itself. The only stupid question is the one you do not ask and then find that you needed an answer for when you are in the middle of nowhere with nobody to ask.

Edited by Bill Lord

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Only if you want to.

I only put the rear ones down, personal choice.

I suppose it depends on how close to the roads the lay-by is, Trucks and Coaches passing by do create a large pocket of air (known as a wash) passing close to you.

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

If stopping for a lunch break, I put down the rear steadies and the jockey wheel. This helps to reduce the rocking from passing traffic. However, its not essential to do this for a short break.

Brian

I prefer to quickly drop the steadies with the cordless drill, that way I know that there is no chance of overloading the A frame or towbar.

Thanks everybody. I thought that might be the case - no need for a quick visit. I think if we had a proper lunch break in a quiet lay-by I'd put them down. Since starting carvanning I've learned to differntiate between laybys which are a proper pull-in with an island between the lay-by and the road, and laybys which are just cut into the side of the road. The latter can be dangerous I think. The French do this so much better (ah, those aires!).

Tom

www. southcoastsounds. org. uk

--------------------

Oh yes!

There are lay-bys. .......and GOOD lay-bys!

Which are not so common.

Have you come across the "lone car parked in the middle of the lay-by totally spoiling it for a caravan" syndrome?

VERY common!

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

For a quick stop, there is no actual need to lower the legs and no risk of trying to drive off with them down. For a longer stop, especially close to passing traffic, or an overnight we leave it hitched, but drop the rear two legs. When unhitching you must drop at least the rear legs or someone heavy getting in at the rear, or two people at the rear will tip the caravan up.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

we always put the rear steadies down -- just to make it more comfortable and stop the "bouncing"

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I thought you should not go into a modern van without the legs down as it could damage the chassis.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

I thought you should not go into a modern van without the legs down as it could damage the chassis.

thats what we were told as well. ..

but -- it is your van and you can do what you want. ..

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

We usually lower the rear steadies. Sway from passing traffic can be off-putting whether you're standing or sitting! If you then put the brace / cordless drill or whatever you use on the driving seat, you won't forget to wind the steadies back up before moving off.

BigTow