Swift Conquerer 560 Internal Water Pump Failing

garymaule

hello guys

i have a swift conquerer 560 internal water pump failing

i'm a newbie to caravaning so i'll try and give the best info possible to you so you can understand what i mean LoL

i'm just back fom having the caravan out for the first time

onsite i filled up my aquaroll put the small whale external pump into it then connected the other end of the whale pump into its socket next to the battery

next inside the caravan

i press the button on the control panel to external pump and turn on a tap and the water flows ok for a few minutes then i got a trembleing noise from under the floor and opposite where the sink is and the water from the taps then stops running

the vibration is really bad and noisey

so i checked the aquaroll for water and it was still full with the external whale pump not working (no noise from it)

this happened yesterday

today i tried to run the water again by turning the water on at switch at the main console and i heard hissing coming from under a seat so i lifted the cushions etc and was shocked to see water running from a loose connection all under our floor. ......so i turned everything off at the electrics and investigated under the seat and noticed a water pipe connection had come loose so i then reconnected the tube to its fittening and tightened it up using a jubilee clip and tried the water again and it worked fine for a few minutes the no water came out the taps again and the trembling noise came back

on looking under the seat where the noise is coming from there looks like some sort of pump that sits fitted into the floor i take it that this is going into a tank. .......the noise is definately from this component

anyone have any ideas if the pump is the cause of the problem or should i be checking another component

also anyone any ideas where to obtain a new part for the faulty item if this is at fault

sorry for the long text guys

any help appreciated

i also had a look at the manuals that came with the caravan and there is no mention of this pump in it

also did a quick search of the forum and could not see any similar issues

thanks

gary

apologies folks i've just noticed i may have posted this in the wrong part of the forum

Edited by garymaule

Just a thought, have you tried the pump without opening the taps, ie: charging the system first, before you open the taps to release the air in the system, as i believe the water heater must be filled first, as this is what i have do with my inboard water pump.

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Just a thought, have you tried the pump without opening the taps, ie: charging the system first, before you open the taps to release the air in the system, as i believe the water heater must be filled first, as this is what i have do with my inboard water pump.

yes tried with taps opened and closed and still had the same issue with the trembling noise coming from what i believe is a pump fitted to the floor of the caravan

cheers for taking time out to reply its appreciated

atb

Gary

Hi Gary

I suspect that you do not have an external pump, but a Whale Aquasmart internal pump. This is the black item on the website below

http://www. whalepumps. com/caravan_RV/product_list/16/123/

The blue bit that you use outside is just a filter that goes in the Aquaroll or do you in fact have an internal tank which needs an external pump to pump into it. Like this

http://www. whalepumps. com/caravan_RV/product_list/16/81/

The Aquasmart pumps can be quite noisy but seem to be reliable. However when you first put the pump on you need to open the hot and cold taps to expell all the air out of the system, which you must have done to use the system.

Try adjusting the rubber mounts under the pump or put your hand on it when it is running to see if anything improves

Brian

yes tried with taps opened and closed and still had the same issue with the trembling noise coming from what i believe is a pump fitted to the floor of the caravan

cheers for taking time out to reply its appreciated

atb

Gary

I suggest you post this under the Swift heading below. They are very good at responding.

All the best.

Hi Gary

I suspect that you do not have an external pump, but a Whale Aquasmart internal pump. This is the black item on the website below

The blue bit that you use outside is just a filter that goes in the Aquaroll or do you in fact have an internal tank which needs an external pump to pump into it. Like this

http://www. whalepumps. com/caravan_RV/product_list/16/81/

The Aquasmart pumps can be quite noisy but seem to be reliable. However when you first put the pump on you need to open the hot and cold taps to expell all the air out of the system, which you must have done to use the system.

Try adjusting the rubber mounts under the pump or put your hand on it when it is running to see if anything improves

Brian

Brian cheers for helping out here

i'll try and give you a bit more info

the caravan is second hand

the whale external pump came with it and sometimes works but the noise is not coming from the external pump

the noise is coming from some other type of pump or regulater that sits under the floor of the caravan only when i turn the water pump on from the main console

the floor pump there are main water pipe connecters running into it (compression fitting) also a 12v power supply

it works sometimes and the water flows ok for a few minutes and then it stops flowing and the racket of this thing under the floor is very very noisey but the aquaroll is full and i've even tried a second whale external pump and the same thing happens

when i put the console switch to external the led lights up red and then goes out and water runs from the taps and shower ok for a few minutes,when i turn the tap of the console switch led goes out but if i try it for more than a few minutes the console switch led stays red and the sound of the pump thats sits attached to the floor under a seat is horrendous LoL than no water again

brian the external water pump whale connector to caravan is similar to

atb

Gary

Edited by garymaule

It sounds to me as though you may have some sort of partial blockage in a pipe, but I will leave the definative diagnosis to others! You presumably have an internal water tank too, otherwise there would be no need for 2 pumps. Are there no valves that need positioning to use from the different water sources? Maybe near the on-board pump?

If you find you do need a new pump (the thing under the seat is a pump) take a look in the Caravan Shop in Great Western Road, its just on the left after Kelvin Bridge if you are heading into town along GWR. Neil keeps very keen prices and will order things in.

You don't need the same brand of pump, just a similar spec.

Loads of good prices on-line too, but the postage can be expensive. The Caravan Shop sells on-line too.

Edited by jennifernn

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

Hi Gary,

If you don't get sorted. If you want to PM me or email me at aspacey@swiftleisure. co. uk with a contact number I can get an engineer to call you on Tuesday and talk you through the system,

thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

folks i'm going back to the caravan tomorrow i left the stepson and his misses to have a night in it so going back to take it offsite and put it back into storage so i can take a photo of the part thats making all the noise and hopefully upload it so you folks in the know will have a better idea as to what this component is

i must say a big thankyou to all thats helped me out with other threads with other faults too

it being a second hand caravan and of some age it has had its faults but the other faults with door locks etc have been fixed by myself due to information provided by fellow members

great forum

cheers

gary

Hi Gary,

If you don't get sorted. If you want to PM me or email me at aspacey@swiftleisure. co. uk with a contact number I can get an engineer to call you on Tuesday and talk you through the system,

thanks

Andy

I think we know who trained Andy. ........Easter weekend and he is still working. .....

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Sounds like you may have electric switching between water sources so you should have a solenoid valve. This may have got stuck. If you find it, a gentle tap with a hammer might help.

The black thing under the seat IS a pump. Not sure that both pumps should work at the same time though.

To help work this out the model year or CRiS number would be useful.

Strange that the handbook has no info, could it be a DIY modification?

Can you go back to where you bought it and ask about it?

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

Hi Gary,

You don't say how old the van is, but based on what you mention, it sounds like a 2009 model with "Autofill". For clarity, the external pump is used to collect water from an external source (i. e. aquaroll) and fill the inboard tank.

The pump inside the vehicle (probably a Truma Flo-Jet) is used to deliver water from the inboard tank to the taps & shower.

Before you found the leak, I would have suggested the Flo-Jet is running dry (it uses water as the lubricant) and there for makes an unusual sound. However, now that you have found the leak, and fixed it, it could be:

1) There is still air trapped in the system, causing a blockage

2) Foreign debris has entered the system, causing a blockage

3) The pump has run for so long without any water, there is internal damage to the pump.

The control panel showing a "RED" status could be a few things:

1) The panel / fusebox has a 15 minute timer, after which, the external pump shuts down (to save the pump in case the external source has run dry)

2) The fusebox also measure current draw from the internal Flo-Jet pump, again, if it draws too much power, it sees this as a problem, and shuts the pump down.

Based on what you have said, I would suggest your pump is / has been damaged, and is drawing too much power.

A simple way to check is to remove all the inlet (low pressure) side of pump, and use a fresh hose from an external source, to see if the pump shows the same issues. If so, your pump probably needs replacing.

If not, then look for any more leaks (causing air to enter the system on the inlet side - remember just because water is not leaking out doesn't mean air is not getting in). Failing that, make sure the Truma inlet, on the side of the van, is not blocked.

I hope that helps to explain things, but if you can provide your van details (a PM would be best), we can certainly get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,

Ash

To answer a few posts (while I was typing my essay!) - again without knowing the age of the van, but assuming it is a 2009:

- Yes, both pumps can and do run together as the external pump is used only to fill the inboard tank.

- The solenoid could be faulty, but it wouldn't explain the "RED" status on the control panel and why the pump works for a few minutes

- I would only recommend replacing the pump with the same model. The Flo-Jet has a measure current draw (which is measured by the fuse box), a by-pass valve and a tested pressure setting. Changing any of these parameters could cause an issue.

Thanks,

Ash

It's not a new van, the OP did say it was "of some age" !

My fault, I suppose thats what happens when trying to read a post and eat chocolate eggs at the same time!

Ash

hi guys i can't upload a photo the website says the photo is too large

anyone willing to provide an email address so i could send them a photo of the device thats faulty

any help appreciated

Gary

Hi Gary,

Feel free to send the photo to me:

technicalsupport@swiftleisure. co. uk

It sounds like an aftermarket modification, but we maybe able to help.

Ash

guys i went back to the caravan tonight and unscrewed the cover on the floor

it is a floor water tank that's fitted, i unscrewed the plastic screw type cover and underneath it had a whale submersible pump on it,also on the cover it had a water level sensor (long steel different size prongs) it also had a water connection going in to it

so i have an external whale submersible pump going into an aquaroll and another (WHALE 881 SUPERSUB PUMP) going into my onboard water tank

when i turn the water on from the main console and put the switch to external pump the aquaroll pump fills the onboard tank up and the internal water tank pump is also on at this point, i open a tap and water flows for a few minutes, i can even turn the shower on and the water flow is good

then the external aquaroll pump switches off, the internal tank pump is still on but the tank has now run out of water and the pump is getting louder due to it running dry

question is why is the aquaroll pump switching itself off is there maybe some type of regulator or pressure switch that maybe faulty

i'm going back down to the storage place at the weekend to try and find out whats causing this problem and can do any tests that anyone recommends

any ideas as to the problem is most welcome

thanks

gary

Edited by garymaule