Volvo Rti Vs Mobile Sat Nav

Hello

I am currently looking at replacing my car and had always placed, quite high up my wish list, built in sat nav. I've used a TT Go unit for a few years now and whilst, functionally I cant complain, its a bit of a nuisance to keep packing it, unpacking it, getting it set up etc.

I'm looking at 2 yr old Volvos and there seems to be price difference of around £750 - £1000 for cars without the built in sat nav.

So my question is, to Volvo drivers specifically (as I know built in sat nav can differ in quality for manufacturer to manufacturer) - how good is it and is it worth the extra expense? How often do you need to upgrade the DVD and how much?

Many thanks

NRF

Sorry, can't help on this one but it might be worth putting something in the Satellite navigation section. Someone will have the answer I'm sure. All the best.

Jeff

Hi. I bought a Volvo XC70 (07 reg) at the end of last year. I am well pleased with the car but the built in Sat Nav does not work with postcodes. I am told by Volvo that it is not possible to update to postcodes as the 08 model does. Very disapointing, so I use my portable Navman. Hope you find a nice Volvo. rog

Along the lines of Rog's post whenever Autocar road test a Volvo they routinely criticises these built in systems.

This is not to do with adavance's in technology but they have done so since it was first introduced in the S80. Their advice is always to save the money and as they once said any £100 set up would be an improvement over the Volvo offering.

• 2 weeks later...

the volvo sat nav is quite basic in early form and the maps if not updated like any sat nav become out of date the new system in 08 and on is a lot better with 3 d mapping as most aftermarket sat navs use(pre 08 is 2d looking down) also you get post code but its not full post code you have to look up the final bit. there is a garmin dealer fit option witch it good and hard wires into the car but the unit can be removed. the one good thing with factory fit is the security aspect who s going to steal a volvo dash to install it in a nova lol :lol: i think the maps are updated twice a year and are approx 200 plus vat also if the dvd rom player goes down there around 400 you can get a nice tom tom for that hope this helps

Hi NRF,

We've spoken before about replacement cars . ...

My FL2 will be replaced in a couple of months, after several prolonged test drives I'll be going for a new V70.

In the last couple of months I've had two new Volvo's on test, both had the current Volvo built in satnav system. I can assure there is no way I would choose and pay for a built in Volvo satnav system, the flexibility of portable systems TomTom or Garmin etc is something that built in systems just can't match. To be fair this comment isn't just related to volvo built in systems but many others too. I travel around 30k miles a year and am constantly amazed at the number of high spec cars, BMW, Merc, Volvo etc which you would expect to have built in satnav yet they still have a trusty Garmin or TomTom on the windscreen.

So sorry but for me built in satnav is a big NO.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks all for th input so far.

I have looked at the V70 but its not quite heavy enough for me and quite like the chunkier looks of the XC70

Regards

NRF