Satnav

Legsmaniac

During our last trip away, our SatNav died on us. As some of you may recall, our SatNav was an old PDA with both Navigon 7 and TomTom 7 installed on it. As some of you may also recall, I complained of the fact that I had to maintain the PDA in a charged state else the memory was lost, deleting the program from the system until I returned home.

Fed up, I decided to visit the local Halfords (at Newark) who had an "up to 50% off" offer on SatNavs and decided to get a stand-alone purpose built SatNav. I was suddenly faced with an array of SatNavs behind the glass cabinet, my intention being to go for the TomTom XL European. But. .....

Well, Garmin has always been another consideration since a) the Caravan Club recommend it and B) Halfords have always maintained that if the Garmin fails, they have the power to replace it immediately whereas with TomTom, they have to send it away for repairs. I decided to go for the slightly more expensive Garmin Nuvi 265WT with built-in free-for-life FM Traffic Alerts. With TomTom, this feature has always been optional and "pay-for".

So far, I am loving the Garmin despite it being Navteq (Navigon) mapping as opposed to the TeleAtlas system of TomTom but that said, I have always found the NavTeq mapping more accurate in my own area than TeleAtlas.

Does anyone else here have a Garmin system? Your views if so?

I have set up custom POI's and Speed Camera Alerts from PocketGPSworld no problems but I recall someone once posted recently about free speed camera databases? Care to share it with us? PocketGPSworld isn't free but cheaper than Garmin's own update database and is regarded as the most up-to-date and accurate system.

Just hope I haven't made a bad rash decision. C'mon, spill.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

Pocketgpsworld camera locations are free if you find and report a fixed camera that is not on their database. One of the reasons why its the most accurate and uptodate. The database is now updated weekly.

http://www. pocketgpsworld. com/modules. php?...referer=SideBar

Brian

Guest John KS

I have got a Garmin Nuvi and I use their cameras. I dion't agree about the accuracy. I have had both on mine together and the Garmin always seemed more up to date. The pocket world ones showed cameras where there weren't any.

My problem with Garmin is that there is no way of selecting main road routes only. I agree with you over the map accuracy and I bought it for that as I used to do deliveries and it was much more accurate than Tom Tom. However, I would not buy another one because of the lack of routing choices although I do like the fact that it announces the road names.

Edited by John KS

About 3 years ago I bought a Garmin Nuvi 310 with an external aerial (mini usb lead and thin cable tucked into the joints on the dashboard facia) for life long traffic news same as you sale at Halfords ( notifications vary depending on the aera as some are not covered). I have subscribed to the speed camera alert system as well, can't remember how much off the top of my head but it's handy seeing as the councils / highways don't cut trees / hedges and a lot of signs are hidden now.(Rant over)

When I hitch up the van I change my vehicle type in the settings to lorry which gives me a good route but sometimes takes you a bit of a longer route, so I check against autoroute / maps to see if a better short cut of that section can be used and insert a waypoint to cut the corner (if you get my point) If I leave it set to car with the van on it's taken me down single track roads hardly wide enough so i make sure I change it before setting off. I use it as a help not as gospel that I have to go that way OH likes telling it to shut up when I intentionaly deviate from it's route and IT tells me off! The best part I like is the advanced warning of your junction comming up especialy in busy built up areas instead of trying to watch out for every traffic signs I can concentrate on nagotiating between parked cars / oncomming traffic etc.

Wouldn't be without it now after saying for ages I Don't Want one I Can Read a Map to the OH, I also got the European maps latter on and they seem to be as good a quality as the Uk ones preinstalled. :D

I have got a Garmin Nuvi and I use their cameras. I dion't agree about the accuracy. I have had both on mine together and the Garmin always seemed more up to date. The pocket world ones showed cameras where there weren't any.

I have used PocketGPS for a few years now and have always found them to be very accurate. The showing of cameras where there aren't any are probably mobile locations and they weren't out that day? I can't (yet) comment on the accuracy of Garmin's own speed camera service but Garmin charge £29. 99 a year for the updates whereas PocketGPS is (currently) £19 a year and free for life as Brian says if you're lucky enough to report a camera not on their database. I've not been lucky enough to spot one not on their database yet.

As for the lack of routing choices, I don't seem to have that problem. Unless I'm misunderstanding something? My Garmin seems to have the same options as I've had with TomTom and Navigon and I can even add "vias" to ensure it goes the way I want it to take me.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

If you have downloaded the camera all in the same POI then you will not be able to distinguish mobile sites from fixed sites. Pocketgpsworld have recently changed their philosphy on mobile camera such that if there is no report on one in a 12 month period, it is then deleted, so it is important to report mobile sites even if they are already on the database.

Brian