How Do I Get Sockets In Caravan To Run At 12v

adam0303

Hi all

have a compass omega 430 and the sockets in the caravan will only work when hooked up to the mains is there anyway of getting them to run from the battery also as it would be nice to make a cup of tea on those odd stop offs. But cant at present unless i connect to 240v supply

Do you mean you want the sockets to deliver 240v from the battery ?

Try this :- Power Bright ERP1100 12V 1100 Watt Power Inverter

http://www. voltageconversion. co. uk/store/p. ..=1&featured

Edited by Cheltenham Caravanner

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

Hi all

have a compass omega 430 and the sockets in the caravan will only work when hooked up to the mains is there anyway of getting them to run from the battery also as it would be nice to make a cup of tea on those odd stop offs. But cant at present unless i connect to 240v supply

Your mains sockets are designed for 240 volt only use and as for making a cuppa why dont you boil the kettle on the gas

I do believe that is what he means and no, I'm afraid it's not possible without using an Inverter and then you'd have to have one powerful enough to run a kettle and the battery would soon go flat.

If all you want is a cuppa tea on the stop-offs, why not use a gas kettle like we do? :D

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

The 1100watt inverter suggested above would take at least 100amps from your 12v battery so would probably run for nearly 15 mins before a 100a/h battery was totally flattened, so not a practical proposition for hairdryers or electric kettles- use a kettle on the gas for your cuppa.

A small inverter may be a practical proposition for a laptop or other low current device like a TV but even a 75watt inverter will take over 7 amps from your battery and will only give you 8 hours or so from a 100a/h battery if you don't want to considerably shorten it's life. You should not discharge a battery to less than 50% capacity nor should you discharge at a rate greater than 10% of its capacity either. A 100a/h battery is rated at 100a/h when it's discharged at 5% of its capacity (= 5amps) so if you discharge it at 10 amps you wont get 100a/h anyway.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I have seen some cheap inverters in ebay but not sure how good they are though they just plug into a cigarette lighter which i dont have in the van i have 3 leisure batteries all 85a/h im not greedy just i had one and the van came with 2 good ones.

We don't think it worthwhile carrying a gas kettle with us as we tend to use sites with EHU's. We just heat water on the gas hob using one of our saucepans when we stop for a break, remembering to turn the gas off when we get going again.

Lunar Clubman 475EK towed by Vauxhall Zafira Design 1. 9Cdti 150

You would need a very expensive inverter to give enough power for a kettle.

Use the gas!

You would also need to install heavy cable direct from the battery as the van fuses would blow

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Hi

I always use gas to brew up on the road.

Inverters that will boil a house type kettle would be large in size and be expensive.

Dont bother. As others have said, use gas, I dont think many seasoned Caravaners go down the route that you are after going.

As for Hauling about 3 batteries it does not make sence, all that extra weight.

Happy Caravaning

Monty

Hi all

Hi i did see something at Halfords for sale a small kettle that plugs into your car cigarette lighter ( obviously you have to keep the engine running) and holds just enough for two cups of tea, might be worth a look if you pull over and want a quick brew ?

Coachman Genius & Mazda BT50 TS2

Hi i did see something at Halfords for sale a small kettle that plugs into your car cigarette lighter ( obviously you have to keep the engine running) and holds just enough for two cups of tea, might be worth a look if you pull over and want a quick brew ?

Forget the 'quick' bit - they take ages to boil! As others have said use the gas!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Or fill a flask before you leave, as we do (and as suggested above). Don't even have to leave the car then!

Formally 'MagentaMan'... with Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 5 seat Auto 2011/Lunar 530 2013 with mover.

I have one of those, i used to use it when i was on the Waggons, trouble is it takes about 20 minutes to boil up. I used to plug it in at the A1/A19 interchange and it was ready when i pulled into Walkers Crisps at Peterlee.

We take a flask of hot water and Ty-Phoo QT instant tea.

Edited by The Ridge Rider

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

In the boot of our car we have a small gas burner, the sort you can buy for about a tenner these days, which runs of a disposable gas canister, and a picnic bag which contains everything we need, from instant cappucino sachets to tea bags, and milk, It has a small kettle,cups and kitchen towel for wiping them clean. We have a bottle of water at the ready. This is in the car whether we are towing or not, so we can have a fresh cuppa anytime we are out and about. We got into this habit many years ago, when we found that we couldn't go into a cafe if we had our dog with us, and we didn't like leaving her in the car on a hot day. Sounds a bit of a faff, but it doesn't take any longer than pulling into services, trailing miles across the lorry/caravan park, and queuing up for a cup of overpriced whatever.

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

I believe it it illegal to use gas at a service station even if you are a long way from the pumps.

Forget inverters for anything that is to produce heat (kettels etc) unless you have a massive battery system (thinking here of U boats!) Look at the rating of the mains device (watts) and divide by 12. This will tell you how much current you are taking from the inverter (forgetting about the efficency for simplicity) If it more than about 10 amps the battery won't last long. If it is 100 amps it will kill the battery if in the mean time the current hasn't overheated the wires and burnt down the van!Use a flask.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

We take a flask as someone said earlier

We also have a 12V in cup water immersion type heater for if we forget the flask that runs off a socket supplied by thicker wire direct from the caravan battery(via fuses and relay) and that takes about 5 minutes to boil a cup of water

http://www. swd-uk. net/12v-water-heater-element-356-p. asp

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE