Car Tyre Pressures

redestate

Hi

My tour of Scotland commences next Sunday- stopping on route in Bucks for a few days with one of my daughters.

I am looking for some advice re my car's tyre pressures. Ford Focus Estate - the manufacturer gives 2. 4 (35) Front and 2. 8 (41) rear for carrying a full load. No advice re towing. Although when my husband was alive, I did all the towing, he dealt with this sort of thing. I think with the car loaded and towing, we used to go by the full load ones.

This current little van at 699kg MLW is 55% of my cars kerb weight (1278kg) 7% noseweight is approx 50kg. The car will be carrying the heavy bits, like awning & poles, self, 3 retrievers and their food and belongings, sufficient for a month away.

I anticipate it will be fairly full up!

I am wondering if 35lb front and 41lb rear sounds about right? Or do you think it's too high? Also, presumably, if I put them

at those pressures, I will have to keep reducing for solo and then pumping them up again, when I move on?

I am anxious to get this right, as I am towing about 1500 miles. I would imagine also, pressures have some effect on petrol consumption?

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Linda

Hi Linda

Yes definitely set them to the full load figures.

If you are just doing short journeys at your stops then no need to let them down, but if you are there for a longer time then its worth going back to normal pressures as it will be a bit hard and bouncy at full load pressure without the caravan.

I find a small 12v electric compressor ideal for pumping them up and carry it in the boot.

Brian

Hi Linda

Yes definitely set them to the full load figures.

If you are just doing short journeys at your stops then no need to let them down, but if you are there for a longer time then its worth going back to normal pressures as it will be a bit hard and bouncy at full load pressure without the caravan.

I find a small 12v electric compressor ideal for pumping them up and carry it in the boot.

Brian

Thank you for the quick reply Brian. I will need to reduce them on my main stops then, I shall be a week at each one and driving around a lot. I do have a 12 volt pump and normally use it regularly to check my tyres.

Advice much appreciated.

Linda

Hi

My tour of Scotland commences next Sunday- stopping on route in Bucks for a few days with one of my daughters.

I am looking for some advice re my car's tyre pressures. Ford Focus Estate - the manufacturer gives 2. 4 (35) Front and 2. 8 (41) rear for carrying a full load. No advice re towing. Although when my husband was alive, I did all the towing, he dealt with this sort of thing. I think with the car loaded and towing, we used to go by the full load ones.

This current little van at 699kg MLW is 55% of my cars kerb weight (1278kg) 7% noseweight is approx 50kg. The car will be carrying the heavy bits, like awning & poles, self, 3 retrievers and their food and belongings, sufficient for a month away.

I anticipate it will be fairly full up!

I am wondering if 35lb front and 41lb rear sounds about right? Or do you think it's too high? Also, presumably, if I put them

at those pressures, I will have to keep reducing for solo and then pumping them up again, when I move on?

I am anxious to get this right, as I am towing about 1500 miles. I would imagine also, pressures have some effect on petrol consumption?

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Linda

Hi Linda

As brian says those pressures should be fine !

But my main point of a reply is Just take it easy and Good luck

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi Linda

As brian says those pressures should be fine !

But my main point of a reply is Just take it easy and Good luck

Radiotwo

Thank you! That's really kind.

Linda

Linda as well as your pump you may want to take a gauge with you as the ones fitted to the pumps are not terribly accurate.

Also remember to only check tyre pressures when the tyres are cold.

Linda as well as your pump you may want to take a gauge with you as the ones fitted to the pumps are not terribly accurate.

Also remember to only check tyre pressures when the tyres are cold.

Thank you, yes I think I will take a gauge as well.

Linda