I have a laptop with a 3G dongle and pay standard £10 per month. This gives me more than enough for browsing in the caravan.

We are off to France in June - will the 3G work over there? If not, any suggestions (must be cheap!)

Quick word of caution

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

I am an IT Manager, without talking to me one of my users took his 3g card (Vodaphone £25/month) to Europe for two weeks, whilst there his daughter was using social networking sites. Cost of two weeks european raoming bill - £2500.

Look at Wif-Fi or Internet Cafes - EU commision currently looking at bringing down costs of roaming - http://news. zdnet. co. uk/communications/0,1. ..39288124,00. htm

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

Guest John KS

I agree. Leave your dongle at home. Use Wi-fi in France. Some sites offer it free. Best thing to do is leave the laptop behind and just enjoy the holiday. We lived without them before they were invented!

I have a laptop with a 3G dongle and pay standard £10 per month. This gives me more than enough for browsing in the caravan.

We are off to France in June - will the 3G work over there? If not, any suggestions (must be cheap!)

Ken

Yes it should work but at a cost! Even if 3G is not available it should drop down to GPRS. According to their website £3 MB which is better than it used to be but still expensive. However if you are only catching up with e-mail and the occasional look at online banking it should keep it within reasonable bounds. When using and expensive connection I also switch off auto updates as they can really hammer the download amount. If you change your mind and go to Italy or Austria you may be able to take advantage of their '3 Like Home' scheme where you can use your UK monthly data allowance. As Andy says investigate the WiFi options. A lot of sites use Passman which is a WiFi supplier in France. Usually its around €8 an hour but not dependent on the amount you download. You buy scratch cards from reception and the hour ones can be used to 24 hours from first log in so you can log out and use, say, half of it one day and the rest the next. If you are staying on the same site for more than a few days the multi hour cards might be a better option.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels