Lots Of Newbie Questions!

gina

Hi

I have my new carvan almost ready to go, being serviced next week. I say new it's an early 90s/late 80s Lunar Meteorite.

Nothing came with it, so far I have:

*Small & large aquaroll

*Porch awning

*Porta potti (didn't have a cassette loo)

I have some questions over other things though:

1) Regarding electrics, I want a tv but I have seen those inverter things online which look like you can just plug normal household items in to them? So could I use a hairdryer and a normal little portable flatscreen? I am unlikely to ever have access to hook up so it will be via battery.

2) What do I need to get to take the water into the caravan = I have heard about filters and pumps?

3) I am not sure which size gas bottle to buy and are all the fittings the same for all gas bottles?

4) Regarding levelling when I am onsite what do I need?

5) I only have a single electric towbar, a few people have said I don't really need to get an extra socket fitted, however I am worried the battery will run down and I don't have means to charge it - can I just charge from the plug on the van where the caravan lights etc cable goes if you see what I mean? Do you think an extra socket is a good idea?

6) Do the solar battery chargers actually work?

I intend to get a 95/110 battery and charger as well as 2 gas bottles, tv, water pump and spare tyre (will have to wait till caravan comes home as haven't a clue what size!) - I think that's everything?

Thanks in advance! Please excuse my ignorance.

Edited by gina

Hi

I have my new carvan almost ready to go, being serviced next week. I say new it's an early 90s/late 80s Lunar Meteorite.

Nothing came with it, so far I have:

*Small & large aquaroll

*Porch awning

*Porta potti (didn't have a cassette loo)

I have some questions over other things though:

1) Regarding electrics, I want a tv but I have seen those inverter things online which look like you can just plug normal household items in to them? So could I use a hairdryer and a normal little portable flatscreen? I am unlikely to ever have access to hook up so it will be via battery.

Inverters work very well, but if you want to power a hairdryer you will need a powerful one, which will drain the battery very quickly. Better to use a site with 'hook ups'

2) What do I need to get to take the water into the caravan = I have heard about filters and pumps?

You should have with the caravan a plug in pump and hose that you drop into the aquaroll - ask the dealer who is servicing it to explain - he should have tested this as part of the service.

3) I am not sure which size gas bottle to buy and are all the fittings the same for all gas bottles?

Suggest you use Propane (red bottle) and the normal size is 6KG, but you will need to stick to one make (either Calor or BP Gaslite) otherwise you will have to keep changing fittings, and paying deposits on bottles! Again ask the dealer

4) Regarding levelling when I am onsite what do I need?

A spirit level and a good eye ! (and a couple of plastic leveling wedges)

5) I only have a single electric towbar, a few people have said I don't really need to get an extra socket fitted, however I am worried the battery will run down and I don't have means to charge it - can I just charge from the plug on the van where the caravan lights etc cable goes if you see what I mean? Do you think an extra socket is a good idea?

Go for twin electrics, at least the caravan battery is being charged whilst you drive, and the fridge is also cooling, you can't run it on gas whilst towing - illigal !

6) Do the solar battery chargers actually work?

Yes but slowly !!

I intend to get a 95/110 battery and charger as well as 2 gas bottles, tv, water pump and spare tyre (will have to wait till caravan comes home as haven't a clue what size!) - I think that's everything?

The 110 battery will be better, but you will need to charge it well !!

Thanks in advance! Please excuse my ignorance.

Do enjoy your caravanning, and don't be afraid to ask !! Caravanners love to share their knowlege!!!

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Thanks for those, so I need to get a special caravan tv as the inverter wouldn't be good enough. I won't ever get the option of hook up because where we camp will usually be a field or a rugby club etc I won't be using sites anywhere.

Thanks for those, so I need to get a special caravan tv as the inverter wouldn't be good enough. I won't ever get the option of hook up because where we camp will usually be a field or a rugby club etc I won't be using sites anywhere.

Millstone said it would not be suitable for a hair dryer, which I agree with. A TV uses much lower power than a hairdryer and you can use an inverter. Note also that some mains TV's have a transformer in the power lead an actually run on 12v, so with one of these you can run directly from the battery. All TV's will drain your battery eventually.

You might find this beginners guide issued by the Caravan Club useful

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/NR/rdonlyres/...Caravanning. pdf

If this raises more questions just come back and ask.

Brian