Car Insurance

OH is comparing insurance policies as his car insurance expires at the end of this month. He's noticed that a lot of policies claim to include European cover but when you look at the small print it's third party only and they want an extra premium for full cover abroad. The premium from Morethan is looking competitive except they will charge more for foreign travel. ..and they can't/won't tell you how much this will be until you actually have a policy with them. Which companies do people use and what do they charge for european cover?

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

I have used Zurich for a number of years and I can spend 60 days at a time in Europe with the same level of comprehensive cover as I have at home included in the price.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

OH is comparing insurance policies as his car insurance expires at the end of this month. He's noticed that a lot of policies claim to include European cover but when you look at the small print it's third party only and they want an extra premium for full cover abroad. The premium from Morethan is looking competitive except they will charge more for foreign travel. ..and they can't/won't tell you how much this will be until you actually have a policy with them. Which companies do people use and what do they charge for european cover?

Hi jaymac

We use LV= (Liverpool Victoria as was) and have 180 day foreign cover (fully comp) for I think £20 extra and the quote was

actually one of the best anyway for price! As ever it depends on your circumstances and if they saw no extra risk 'costs'

from it, and so can continue to offer it.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Hi Jaymac,

I did a thorough investigation of this in Feb/Mar as I needed Fully Comp in Europe but for greater than 60 days.

In the end LV=, SAGA (I'm an old git!) and NFU Mutual were the best cover and most competitive.

That said . . last year I only needed approx. 30 days EU cover and E-Sure were very competitive even after they added the extras !!!

As has been said it depends on your circumstances . ... but I'd start with the 4 above. .. and don't forget to look at the Cashback sites as you can often get another £40 - £50 off the premium.

G.

We're with LV as well and they seem excellent - quick no-quibble payout when my partner wrote off her car, competitive rates and as has been said full cover in Europe. Recommended.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

i've been with More Than for several years and before each trip abroad I just make a phone call to insure for foreign travel to conmprehensive standard. Can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot. About £10 for 14 days cover to Europe.

harryb

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

We have changed to Farmers Insurance, Full European cover included in the good price

Christine

National Farmers Union (NFU) were on my shortlist of two.

But SAGA won as they offered a greater introductory price.

They were £45 cheaper than NFU but I expect next year will be very diferent and NFU willprobably come out top.

Of course you do have to be an "old git" to use SAGA!!!!

G.

i've been with More Than for several years and before each trip abroad I just make a phone call to insure for foreign travel to conmprehensive standard. Can't remember how much but it wasn't a lot. About £10 for 14 days cover to Europe.

harryb

Aren't Morethan and =LV part of the same company?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

We went with Morethan in the end - the £75 cashback from Quidco clinched it. We already have the house and two cars with them. A pain having to phone them before each trip, though it's only about £24 to increase to comprehensive for six weeks.

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

The car is fully comp, with Churchill and its European cover is the same as in the UK, i. e. and they did not charge any extra for it.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

I use Hastings Direct and the cover I have includes overseas cover in Europe at no extra charge.

chelsky

Hi Chelsky,

Can you confirm that the Euro cover is Fully Comp at no extra cost and for how many days?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

The car is fully comp, with Churchill and its European cover is the same as in the UK, i. e. and they did not charge any extra for it.

They must have had a rethink because I was once with them and they always wanted to know how many days I was going abroad and they calculated accordingly. The result was that a 'bargain' premium turned into an expensive one.

As others have said, many companies say they give continental cover but it is only after questioning that they admit to it being third party only cover.

For the past three years I've been with Saga. Like many other companies, they do increase the premium after the first year, but find a quote from another company for a similar policy at a lower price, then Saga will match it.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I have just had a look at the AA web site and have copied and pasted the following:-

All private car policies issued in the UK include the minimum cover required in any EU country. In addition, AA Insurance policies provide cover equivalent to that held in the UK (for up to 90 days in a year). For example, a comprehensive policyholder receives comprehensive cover free of charge while driving in an EU country. Cover may be extended for longer periods or for countries outside the EU.

Regards
Terry Birch

I have just had a look at the AA web site and have copied and pasted the following:-

All private car policies issued in the UK include the minimum cover required in any EU country. In addition, AA Insurance policies provide cover equivalent to that held in the UK (for up to 90 days in a year). For example, a comprehensive policyholder receives comprehensive cover free of charge while driving in an EU country. Cover may be extended for longer periods or for countries outside the EU.

Note MINIMUM cover. In some countries, including France, it is less than U. K. third party.

If you take out LV= insurance through Nationwide B. S. website (you dont need to bank with Nationwide) the continental extension of comprehensive cover is included limited (?) to 180 consecutive days maximum trip in any 12 month period i. e. it is annual cover.

Note MINIMUM cover. In some countries, including France, it is less than U. K. third party.

If you take out LV= insurance through Nationwide B. S. website (you dont need to bank with Nationwide) the continental extension of comprehensive cover is included limited (?) to 180 consecutive days maximum trip in any 12 month period i. e. it is annual cover.

I suggest that you read again the second sentence in the second paragraph, which reads:-

In addition, AA Insurance policies provide cover equivalent to that held in the UK (for up to 90 days in a year). For example, a comprehensive policyholder receives comprehensive cover free of charge while driving in an EU country.

Regards
Terry Birch

I suggest that you read again the second sentence in the second paragraph,

I can't understand your point.

If you re-read my post I was referring to the first sentence in the second paragraph which was about ALL policies including MINIMUM cover in Europe which they are required to do under EC law. My point being that it is NOT the same as U. K. "third party" cover.

The sentence to which you refer is about extending COMPREHENSIVE cover to Europe (for 90 days in the case of the AA).

Hi Chelsky,

Can you confirm that the Euro cover is Fully Comp at no extra cost and for how many days?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

Hi chapmag. Here is the number, give them a ring 0844 800 3844. Not sure how long the European cover is for, but they are very helpful. They are brokers, but they have in my opinion been very competative for the last 3 years. My Sorento cost me £247 fully comp.

chelsky