Towbar - Single Electrics

sprite

I'm about to change my car to one which only has single electrics. Would it be very expensive to convert to twin or should I live without the fridge on 12v etc? <_<

You'll not only live without 12v fridge cooling, but you'll also have no caravan battery charging. It's certainly worth doing and shouldn't be too expensive. If you do it DIY (or get it done for you) make sure the wire used has the capacity to carry the supply. Get it too thin and you'll have disappointing results.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I'm about to change my car to one which only has single electrics. Would it be very expensive to convert to twin or should I live without the fridge on 12v etc? <_<

Hi Sprite

As John says, make sure the cable is large enough, it depends opon what you are using in the caravan, ie fridge, battery charging, and any new systems on the caravan, the more you have the more current you need.

I think the least cable size you need is 4mm, but I would suggest 10mm, as you have to go from the battery at the front, through to the rear whare the socket is, and that is hell of a volt drop.

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Our mobile towbar fitter charged me about £40. 00 to convert mine when I switched from a trailer tent to a caravan.

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

It depends . ............. how long are your typical towing journey's . ..... do you get chance to charge the battery on hook-up.

If you're only towing 1-2 hours and able to charge the battery before you go, or once on site through the EHU - it's not top priority.

For wiring you'll need 4x 2. 5mm2 for both fridge and battery plus their earth returns.

Ahh now! do you mean a single N or the new 13 pin continental single socket? If the second there are adaptors available.

Edited by seeyoujimmy

I have recently changed my towcar, and have gone from a 12N/12S system to a single 13-pin socket. To connect to the caravan, i will be using the special short adaptor leads in the short term, but eventually intend to rewire the van to have a 13-pin plug.

Provided that the wiring is done correctly, there should be the same availability of supply on the 13-pin system as there is for the 12N/12S system.

New UK caravans are now being produced with the 13-pin system, and I haven't heard of them having any supply problems to the caravan.

Just to clarify, I mean the towcar has the older single black electrics so I want to convert or alter to a doulble electrics.

Just to clarify, I mean the towcar has the older single black electrics so I want to convert or alter to a doulble electrics.

Yes !

Radiotwo

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Then, at the moment, you appear to have the 12N socket, which is just for the roadlights.

You will have to install the wiring that would normally be connected to a 12S socket, for the provision of full caravanning facilities.

If your vehicle is fairly new, say 5 years old or so, it is possible that it has Can Bus wiring. If so, you will need to obtain the necessary electrical items specific to your vehicle. Unless you are reasonably conversant with this type of electrical work, I would advise that you entrust the work to a reliable towbar fitter. An error could be very expensive to repair.

Then, at the moment, you appear to have the 12N socket, which is just for the roadlights.

You will have to install the wiring that would normally be connected to a 12S socket, for the provision of full caravanning facilities.

If your vehicle is fairly new, say 5 years old or so, it is possible that it has Can Bus wiring. If so, you will need to obtain the necessary electrical items specific to your vehicle. Unless you are reasonably conversant with this type of electrical work, I would advise that you entrust the work to a reliable towbar fitter. An error could be very expensive to repair.

If you are wiring a 12S it won't have any thing to do with can-bus,

Can-Bus is only for road lighting

Radiotwo

Sprite, NorthWest Towbars in Stockport charge £55 all in for the extra wiring.

Regards
Ian