Mtplm

wil

Bailey will increase the MTPLM on certain models - where the original MTPLM was quoted lower than the structural limit - If you contact Bailey direct they'll tell you what increase, if any, is possible for your model - the upgrade will need to be ordered and fitted by a Bailey dealer.

Bailey will increase the MTPLM on certain models - where the original MTPLM was quoted lower than the structural limit - If you contact Bailey direct they'll tell you what increase, if any, is possible for your model - the upgrade will need to be ordered and fitted by a Bailey dealer.

ok thanks very much

wil

Hi Roger,

Both of our upgrade packages arrived by post so I'm not sure it's necessary to take the 'van to the dealer. The pakags is only a couple of new Bailey badges, a new weight plate and a new page for the manual,

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Roger,

Both of our upgrade packages arrived by post so I'm not sure it's necessary to take the 'van to the dealer. The pakags is only a couple of new Bailey badges, a new weight plate and a new page for the manual,

regards,

Ian.

Ian - if that's the case then I have serious doubts about the legal status of a "manufacturer's plate" - if the owner can legally stick the new rating plate on themselves, what's to stop anyone sticking a plate with any old weights on?

Ian - if that's the case then I have serious doubts about the legal status of a "manufacturer's plate" - if the owner can legally stick the new rating plate on themselves, what's to stop anyone sticking a plate with any old weights on?

If the plates come from the manufacturer of the caravan and are thier own genuine plates then I would think that they are 100% legal or they would not supply them and does it matter who puts them on ?

And we wouldn't have this problem if everyone wasn't so hung up on the old 85% ratio.

UK manufacturers are reluctant to post the actual MTPLM of the chassis because no one looks at the MIRO + Loading.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

My plate came by post to the dealer from Bailey together with two badges and a new National Caravan Certificate with the

new weight and tyre pressures.

Keith

And we wouldn't have this problem if everyone wasn't so hung up on the old 85% ratio.

UK manufacturers are reluctant to post the actual MTPLM of the chassis because no one looks at the MIRO + Loading.

Cheers

Lee

And what would happen if everyone ignored the 85% advice including the novices ? lots more accidents caused by inexperienced drivers thats why the advice is there in the first place

And what would happen if everyone ignored the 85% advice including the novices ? lots more accidents caused by inexperienced drivers thats why the advice is there in the first place

Do what we did before and looked at the MIRO + loading of kit and items per person.

They still do this on the continent and sites like www. whattowcar. com still work out towing matches using this method and not MTPLM.

Because we look at MTPLM in the UK to chose a safe match manufacturers declare a tight MTPLM which is a little daft in my opinion. We could have two vans at 1230kgMIRO one with a declared MTPLM at 1450kg and one at 1500kg.

They weigh exactly the same but on our system we would be choosing a heavier towcar to tow the second van which is crazy.

The first Hymer caravans that came into this country didn't sell well, they were the same weight as high spec UK vans but had the maximum declared MTPLM of the chassis. Everyone worked out the vans were too heavy for them to tow yet they were no heavier unladen than a high spec Swift. Hymer have now reduced the loading margins and declare a lower MTPLM to suite the UK market.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Do what we did before and looked at the MIRO + loading of kit and items per person.

They still do this on the continent and sites like www. whattowcar. com still work out towing matches using this method and not MTPLM.

Because we look at MTPLM in the UK to chose a safe match manufacturers declare a tight MTPLM which is a little daft in my opinion. We could have two vans at 1230kgMIRO one with a declared MTPLM at 1450kg and one at 1500kg.

They weigh exactly the same but on our system we would be choosing a heavier towcar to tow the second van which is crazy.

The first Hymer caravans that came into this country didn't sell well, they were the same weight as high spec UK vans but had the maximum declared MTPLM of the chassis. Everyone worked out the vans were too heavy for them to tow yet they were no heavier unladen than a high spec Swift. Hymer have now reduced the loading margins and declare a lower MTPLM to suite the UK market.

Cheers

Lee

This is interesting information about the Hymers, our 2001 poverty spec swing has a MIRO of 1180kg (I think, it is certainly less than 1200kg) but a MPTLM of 1600kg but we were looking at a Dethleffs, owned by Hymer and it had a Miro of 1360 and a MPTLM of 1500kg this was for a 4 berth van I don't think I could load the van with that limit consider that a mover weighs 30 + kg and a bottle of wine weighs about 1. 5Kg. I bet anyone who put one of these on a weigh bridge would be horrified by the actual weight. But 1500kg is the max towing weight of a number of family cars, so I beleive that a lot of time the mptlm is not technical but a marketing device.

, so I beleive that a lot of time the mptlm is not technical but a marketing device.

Yep exactly.

On the continent buyers get good clear advice and are educted about MIRO and loading and towing limits.

In the UK it's as though someone decided we are too thick for all that so do everything on the MTPLM. So we now get tight loading margins and dealers not being 100% honest about how heavy vans actually are.

My van has a declared MTPLM 60kg lower than the chassis is designed for but I can ask and have it replated. I've not increased the weight of my van but suddenly I need a heavier towcar according to the UK recomendations.

The system is a mess IMO.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee