Swift Chargers

SwiftGroup

As many of you are aware from previous posts we have suffered recent problems with the chargers supplied to the Swift Group by Nordlectronica in Italy. This problem was caused by their supplier who made an unauthorized component modification which in turn caused the chargers to fail prematurely. Whilst Nordlectronica have committed to replace faulty chargers and currently have engineers from their company replacing faulty units they have struggled to rectify the problem as quickly and efficiently as we would have hoped.

The Swift Group has been and continues to be in daily contact with Nordlectronica and is committed to resolving this problem as quickly as possible, on behalf of the Swift Group I can only apologise for the inconvenience this has caused to our customers.

Regards,

Andy Spacey

Design & Development Director

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Andy, I'm hoping it'll not apply to me when I pick up the new Major on the 18th April although it arrived from the Factory on the 1st of April :D

Hi Elm6,

Your van wont be affected by this issue.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks Andy. Are you contacting affected owners to let them know?

Our initial focus has been and still is to get customers who have had failed units sorted first. Then when this is complete we will focus on the potentially affected units and put in place a plan to deal with these too, which will involve contacting customers direct.

Thanks

Andy

Roger

I am well aware that its Easter. If you read my posts you will see that we are focussed first on the replacing faulty units which is the priority, you will also see that our supplier has let us down with supply and as a result we have let our customers down for which I am very sorry. We are in daily talks with our supplier to try and resolve this as quickly as possible but this hasn't and isn't happening as quickly as we would have liked.

Andy

Guest John KS

Andy

Have you any idea which vans are affected? Haven't had any trouble but we are going away most of the summer. We did suffer from a failure about 4 years ago in a new Swift van but an enginner was with us in 2 hours. Fantastic service!!!!

Challenger 560 Reg Oct 2007 (2008 Van)

Andy

Don't take any notice of RogerL - Senior member and member of the board of censors - he is just a miserable old so-and-so who would pick an argument in an empty room!!

What you and Swift are doing is excellent and sets a fantastic example for manufacturers of all consumer items - keep up the good work!

PS Roger will almost certainly find a reason to argue with my posting :rolleyes:

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Guest John KS
Andy

Don't take any notice of RogerL - Senior member and member of the board of censors - he is just a miserable old so-and-so who would pick an argument in an empty room!!

What you and Swift are doing is excellent and sets a fantastic example for manufacturers of all consumer items - keep up the good work!

PS Roger will almost certainly find a reason to argue with my posting :rolleyes:

And he hasn't even got a Swift Caravan!!!

It's a Pageant!!!!!! Oh dear, poor chap!! :o

John KS

We now know that the affected vans were manufactured between 01/05/08 and 31/08/08, but I must stress not all have the issue. Vans built before or after this date aren't affected by this issue. If you check you electrical certificate this will give you a build date for your van.

Hope this helps,

thanks

Andy

Andy

And he hasn't even got a Swift Caravan!!!

It's a Pageant!!!!!! Oh dear, poor chap!! :o

Ted & John - no product, no industry, would get my money if they deal with the inevitable faults in this way when the affected units and end users can be so easily identified (according to Chris at Nord) - if that makes me different to everyone else, so be it.

Guest John KS
Ted & John - no product, no industry, would get my money if they deal with the inevitable faults in this way when the affected units and end users can be so easily identified (according to Chris at Nord) - if that makes me different to everyone else, so be it.

Hi Ted

You were right!!!

Hi Roger

Swift are saying not all the units are faulty and they are dealing with them quickly.

I hope nothing ever goes wrong with your Bailey. Judging by past experience on here they could be in for a rough ride!!!!!!!!

Each to his own.

Edited by John KS

Hi Ted

You were right!!!

Hi Roger

Swift are saying not all the units are faulty and they are dealing with them quickly.

I hope nothing ever goes wrong with your Bailey. Judging by past experience on here they could be in for a rough ride!!!!!!!!

Each to his own.

John - you are correct, not all the units are faulty - but Nord have identified how to tell the difference - a simple check by the owner or dealer would identify/eliminate the affected/non-affected caravans - based on the build date of the caravan, the type of power supply and the colour of it's components.

There's no need to wait until the affected units fail.

Fortunately my Bailey is well out of warranty and is now properly maintained!

John - you are correct, not all the units are faulty - but Nord have identified how to tell the difference - a simple check by the owner or dealer would identify/eliminate the affected/non-affected caravans - based on the build date of the caravan, the type of power supply and the colour of it's components.

There's no need to wait until the affected units fail.

Well said Roger

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Hi Roger,

Maybe I am not explaining myself well enough so I do apologise if that is the case.

We are firstly focussing on our customers with faulty/failed chargers this is to get them up and running, but this is taking longer than we hoped as our supplier is struggling to meet the demand for parts, hence the apology to our customers for letting them down.

Once these customers are sorted then we will move onto the others who havent failed but are at risk. Unfortunatley our hands are tied too and we arent in full control of this. I would love to have had this cleared up before now but it its not happened.

We are committed to resolving it with our supplier as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Roger,

Maybe I am not explaining myself well enough so I do apologise if that is the case.

We are firstly focussing on our customers with faulty/failed chargers this is to get them up and running, but this is taking longer than we hoped as our supplier is struggling to meet the demand for parts, hence the apology to our customers for letting them down.

Once these customers are sorted then we will move onto the others who havent failed but are at risk. Unfortunatley our hands are tied too and we arent in full control of this. I would love to have had this cleared up before now but it its not happened.

We are committed to resolving it with our supplier as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Andy

Its difficult times

Hopefully things will stabilise

Caravans are so much more complex these days than when all you had to worry about was hay for the horse :rolleyes:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Andy

Thanks for being so frank and honest about the scale of the problems. We all know things can go wrong, and that sometimes things are beyond our control. It's the manner in which they are dealt with that's important.

The fact that you have posted this message on a Bank Holiday, shows how serious Swift take their Customers interests, IMHO.

I think my Conq may have escaped problems in this respect with the details you have supplied about build dates.

It's service like this that will keep me and I'm sure others, coming back to Swift to by our 'vans in the future.

Martin

PS. As long as it's not an L Shape lounge - Had two and they just didn't work for us at all! :D

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Hi Elm6,

Your van wont be affected by this issue.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks Andy, I must say I feel a lot better in my decision to buy a Swift after reading your post's on this forum and the commitment you show to sorting out problems, I had become very pessimistic due to the problems I'd encountered trying to buy a new caravan prior to ordering the Sprite Major

This is the reason I will only buy another Swift, they are honest and even come on an open forum to explain problems.

They have been nothing but FANTASTIC with dealing with myself direct.

They sorted all the silly problems with my "then" new van, even after my dealer did not after two years of hassle (except the silver plastic microwave surround popping off when I tow the van. . its movement they both say. :blink::lol: Still a silly "niggle" that drives me mad :rolleyes: )

I'm in Australia and have a late 2008 Swift Charisma 555. Had the van for 4 months. Its a great van except the battery won't recharge. <_< I found this thread and hope you can confirm its most likely the charger.

I have an NE143_DU charger and a NE190 control panel. This is a silver charger/power supply in one unit with three little switches on the bottom. The power is definitely getting to the unit and 240 volt is getting out (to power the lights in the lounge area). The control panel has a little LED to indicate 240V power is on but it doesn't light up. The fuses are ok under the lounge and the one on the back of the charger unit is ok.

Nothing (no 12V) gets through to the battery or the fridge. The fridge stopped working on 240V (I guess it needs a 12V supply to run the fridge control panel) and the battery voltage slowly dies.

The wiring diagrams were less than helpful.

So does it sound like the issues you guys have had?

Hopefully it can be addressed through the Australian importer.

Tottering around the country side.

Hi Futsal1st,

I can confirm this next week when I am back in the office, but it sounds pretty certain that your charger has failed.

As you say you need to contact your importer,

Thanks

Andy

Guest John KS
I'm in Australia and have a late 2008 Swift Charisma 555. Had the van for 4 months. Its a great van except the battery won't recharge. <_< I found this thread and hope you can confirm its most likely the charger.

I have an NE143_DU charger and a NE190 control panel. This is a silver charger/power supply in one unit with three little switches on the bottom. The power is definitely getting to the unit and 240 volt is getting out (to power the lights in the lounge area). The control panel has a little LED to indicate 240V power is on but it doesn't light up. The fuses are ok under the lounge and the one on the back of the charger unit is ok.

Nothing (no 12V) gets through to the battery or the fridge. The fridge stopped working on 240V (I guess it needs a 12V supply to run the fridge control panel) and the battery voltage slowly dies.

The wiring diagrams were less than helpful.

So does it sound like the issues you guys have had?

Hopefully it can be addressed through the Australian importer.

Have a look on your electrical certificate to see if it was manufactured during the faulty period between 01/05/08 and 31/08/08,

Edited by John KS

Can't find a date on any certificate.

The charger is a Nordelettronica with a test sticker.

There are two lines of number. The first is 1080855-00 and the second is 1432. 205. 03. Do these have any meaning?

Tottering around the country side.