1995 Landrover Discovery 3.9 V8 Lpg

sprite

I've just gone and bought one of these on a complete whim!!!!!! I don't pick it up until tomorrow but would love to hear from anyone who has / has had one. ...I have had a TDi disco before which towed well, I assume this will tow just as wel!!?

:blink:

I have an earlier 3. 5 on LPG which tows beautifully. I had it converted when I bought it and have done over 80,000 miles with no problems whatever from the LPG (and very few from the car). I reckon I've saved about £8,000 by not running on petrol. ......

You'll notice the smoothness and effortless pulling after the oilburner.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

I have had a few V8's including: -

Defender 90 3. 5 V8 LPG Auto

Disco S1 3. 5 V8 Manual

Disco S1 3. 9 V8 Auto

Disco S2 4. 0 V8 Manual

All great towcars but preferred the Auto box for towing

T

2014 Porsche Cayenne | 2010 Coachman Pastiche Platinum 560/4 | 1967 Wife

I bought one just before Easter, mine's an auto, tows lovely. We've been away to Devon for Easter and I mistakenly assumed that most motorway services would have LPG and they don't. When the Disco switches over to petrol it's painful to watch that fuel gauge fall so quick.

Changed from a 300tdi manual (which was great, except for moving into traffic) to an 02 Series 2 V8 auto on LPG a couple of months back . .

in retrospect, I don't necessarily think it was the right decision . .

Don't get me wromg . . the motor is superb, on and off road, solo or towing . . but I seem to spend my life in LPG stations . . only got about 65 litres of gas (+25 of petrol) and with a fuel consuption figure worse than 13 to the gallon I've got to plan to get gas at about 120 miles to be sure of not running out . . also probably have to detour to get to the gas outlet, something you don't have to do on diesel or petrol

Fuel consumption so far 127 gallons (Gas + Petrol) 2156 miles . . 12. 16mpg . . I use about a litre of petrol a day on average . . about 4 mpg . .

average fuel price (petrol +gas) 51. 69p/litre

so yes it is cheaper than petrol, but a lot more bother, still a fair bit more than diesel ( and I only used to fill up every 450 miles . .)

For ref, if you live West Midlands or Wales & to the Sourthwest, Countrywide do gas at (currently) 48p/litre if you have an account.

Also, you can get an atlas of UK LPG stations from go-autogas. com

Also. you can now get LPG POI downloads for Tomtom, Garmin and some others (not RoadAngel)

Edited by Taid

I get about 100 miles from my lpg tanks which isn't great when touring, it certainly does mean an extra bit of planning as yu don't want to be running on petrol

I agree about availability, but even given that issue, with a bit of planning it's not a problem. You can get POIs for all the LPG stations in the UK and in France, and in France almost all the Autoroute service stations have it.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2