Cable Ties

WJG

Hello.

I have a tip which was given to me by a friend many years ago but,by observation only,not many people know of it!

Have you had the hose pipe fly out of your Aquaroll when filling due to high water pressure?

The solution is to tie a large Cable Tie to the end of the hose and push inside.

Regards

Interesting, will try that next time out, always got zip ties in the boot (along with duct tape) and I can sort of follow how the idea works.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

A better way is to make up a water filler from a piece of plastic water pipe. Cut a piece that will reach from the tap to well inside the Aquaroll, exact measurement not essential. Get a piece of thin bungy cord and duct tape a loop of this to one end, just enough to hold it firmly over the tap. You can then fill the Aquaroll at full pressure without any danger of being soaked.

Roger

GREYHOUNDS MAKE GREAT PETS

Swift Challenger and Kia Sorento XS Auto

A better way is to make up a water filler from a piece of plastic water pipe. Cut a piece that will reach from the tap to well inside the Aquaroll, exact measurement not essential. Get a piece of thin bungy cord and duct tape a loop of this to one end, just enough to hold it firmly over the tap. You can then fill the Aquaroll at full pressure without any danger of being soaked.

Roger

Ditto

Roger

Yes, we tried this recently and can confirm it works brilliantly.

No more hoses blowing out and soaking your feet, and, of course the aquaroll fills twice as fast as the wide bore of the pipe ( around 1. 1/2 inches I would guess) doesn't restrict the water flow as the usual filler pipe does.

An excellent tip, highly recommended.

- Wilkie

Roger

Thats brilliant Roger!!!!!

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Roger

Surely that must be Food grade plastic, otherwise you could be contaminating the water supply, as we don't use a bit garden hose to fill up do we?????

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Thats brilliant Roger!!!!!

Have the very same, I made it 10+ years ago still going strong.

I drilled holes thru the top to attach an elasticated cord.

Surely that must be Food grade plastic, otherwise you could be contaminating the water supply, as we don't use a bit garden hose to fill up do we?????

If water was standing in the pipe yes, but as it is just passing through it is not a problem.

It also complies with the water regs. by providing an air break to stop back syphoning on taps that are not fitted with a non return valve, which is something the raditional filler pipe does not.

Steve

Roger

Why buy piping when I've got the zipties in the boot of the car? Plus we store the hose in our sink, so rigid pipe would then need us to find a new storage place!!

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

we store the hose in our sink, so rigid pipe would then need us to find a new storage place!!

I'm sure a 2ft piece of 2" pipe isn't going to too hard to store. (Unless you're worried about the extra weight Ha ! Ha !)

- Wilkie :D

Guest John KS

Surely you don't drink the water out of your van after the dogs have p****d up the aquaroll and the bugs have crawled up the pipes???

YUK!!!!!!!!! :o

Surely you don't drink the water out of your van after the dogs have p****d up the aquaroll and the bugs have crawled up the pipes???

It seems you have led a sheltered life, where is your sense of adventure :P

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

It all adds to the taste, a bit like fish and chips out of newspaper :o

Steve

Even though Mrs W wouldn't dream of using anything but bottled water for drinking or cooking purposes, she still insists that I perform the annual purification ritual.

Every year I waste my time sterilising the caravan water sytem and aquaroll and inserting a new filter etc. just for washing up water and personal ablutions !!

But, if it keeps her happy !!

- Wilkie

I guess you wouldn't want a cup of tea or a glass of squash from us then

never sterilised the system or bothered with bottled water or boiled water for drinking (except for the tea & coffee, of course) . .

(& that's since 1964 (or 1948 with my parents) . . never had any problems)

Another tip re cable ties. Use one or two ties threaded through the Alko hitch handle to hold black and grey cables - keeps them from possibly rubbing on the ground when connected to towing vehicle.

Guest John KS
It seems you have led a sheltered life, where is your sense of adventure :P

Yes very sheltered. The reason we don't use the van water is that we like tea made with fresh water from the tap. Not something that has sat outside all night.

After all, you don't drink the cold water out of the cold water tank at home do you?

Or maybe you do!!!!!!!

Yes very sheltered. The reason we don't use the van water is that we like tea made with fresh water from the tap. Not something that has sat outside all night.

After all, you don't drink the cold water out of the cold water tank at home do you?

Or maybe you do!!!!!!!

So presumably you run the cold water tap for 10 minutes or so, so that you are not using the water thats been sat in the pipes in your house, under your drive, and out in the street as well i suppose?

Just asking/

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Guest John KS
So presumably you run the cold water tap for 10 minutes or so, so that you are not using the water thats been sat in the pipes in your house, under your drive, and out in the street as well i suppose?

Just asking/

Phil.

Yep!!

Just asking/

Phil.

Yep!!

John

I may be wandering off topic here, but, i fear you are wasting your time (and water) doing this.

Whilst i am not an expert, i do have some knowledge in this area as 3 years ago i built my own house. I had to have a new water connection to the main, which was 200 metres away at the end of the lane. I of course had to pay for this, so i watched the contractors working on behalf of the water company, they laid Blue plastic pipe approx 3 in diameter to the main, and guess what kind of pipe the main was? Yes Plastic pipe approx 8 in dia.

Obviously, i am not aware of your situation, but i am willing to guess that if your main is not Plastic then it is probably Cast Iron, either way, water sits in it albeit under pressure. So, how long do you think you would have to run your tap to receive 'fresh' water as you perceive it?

If you are also on a water meter you are probably pouring an awful lot of money down the drain, your choice of course, but i may just be pointing things out to you that you may or may not be aware of.

Hope you take this in the spirit it is intended.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Guest John KS

Sorry Phil, of course we don't run the cold tap for 10 minutes !!!!

We just don't use the water out of the cold tank or the Aquaroll

Edited by John KS

That’s not the same water out of a tap, that was fed by a lead pipes, that went through a filter system that only takes the solids out and that comes out of a reservoir where people have windsurfed in and people have used powerboats on, that is fed by a stream that cattle drink out of and sheep urinate in, that is fed from the run off from the surrounding fields where goodness know what has happened- yep we do drink that. I don't think my caravan piping and aquaroll will cause any further detrimental effect.

Kevin

That’s not the same water out of a tap, that was fed by a lead pipes, that went through a filter system that only takes the solids out and that comes out of a reservoir where people have windsurfed in and people have used powerboats on, that is fed by a stream that cattle drink out of and sheep urinate in, that is fed from the run off from the surrounding fields where goodness know what has happened- yep we do drink that. I don't think my caravan piping and aquaroll will cause any further detrimental effect.

Kevin

I'm not so sure. You should have seen the slime on the pump and pipe after the Aquaroll had been sitting outside the 'van in France for 10 days. BTW - we use bottle water.

Mike