Help-first Trip And Fridge Does Not Work

Sandie

Help!!

We are getting ready for our first ever trip in our caravan and after checking everything over discovered the fridge does not work.

We have been assured it did work and it is currently sitting on our drive which is on a slope, is it possible this is why it is not working due to the fluids (or whatever) in it.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi.

My fridge has just stopped working as well. Having the van level is important. You say it does not work, is that on mains electric or gas or both?

I was told that turning them upside down does sometimes work as it mixes the chemicals together again. I tried this on mine but it still doesn't work.

Mine is now at the dealer being checked, luckily it's under warranty.

Hope you can sort it easily.

Mike

Mondeo 2. 0 tdci 163 bhp & Rave4 tugging a Bailey Bordeaux 2004

Hi

I am testing it on electric, I am really hoping it is a level thing as the caravan is to old to be under warranty and if it was broken wouldnt have a clue on how to buy a new one. Any ideas on how much they are?

I hope you get yours fixed

Sandie

Can you move it forward to level ground or level it to see if it is the slope. Fridges certainly don't like slope although the modern fridges are much less sensitive than those of a few years ago.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

I have a Thetford N90 and they are in the region of £500!!! Thank goodness for the warranty.

Mondeo 2. 0 tdci 163 bhp & Rave4 tugging a Bailey Bordeaux 2004

Hi Sandie

I'm no expert on these things but if it doesn't work with 240v mains I would start by doing two things:

1. Find somewhere more level to try the fridge out, just in case that is the issue.

2. Try using the fridge on gas.

If it works on gas but not electric that might enable someone who knows more about these things to point you in the right direction.

Neil

Neil

VW Tiguan + Sterling Europa 520

http://neilbrighton. typepad. com/distinct_reflections/

Thanks for all your help, its unfortunate in that I cant test it until we go as no room to take it out of the drive as it will go straight onto the road.

If it still does not work I will try with gas and turning upside down to mix the fluid in it. I know the mains is working as light is on outside the fridge.

As mentioned this is our first trip and CANNOT WAIT !!!!

If it works on gas then no need to turn it upside down.

It is either the 230v element that is gone (about £30-£35 to replace), or the 230v thermostat.

The element can fail anytime without warning, that happened on our last van, we just used gas till we got home.

Both element and thermostat are relatively simple to change.

Edited by jennifernn

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto