Getting To End Of Tether

bendigo

Jan 2008 finally decided to buy a new van & carefully chose a Swift group Abbey Spectrum 418 (love the layout) Swift pointed me in the direction of a dealer with a factory fresh model for immediate delivery

Feb 2008 pick up new van, immediately spot crack on welsh dresser worktop, dealer very apologetic but if I could see it why didn’t anyone else? PDI? Dealer will order new top so that’s ok despite a journey of 70 miles there and 70 mls back I was happy with my new van.

Got the van home & popped onto a CL to check it out, find that the lights are wired wrong, cant have shower/bathroom light on without other lights on also cant turn off pelmet light over hob, inform swift who instruct me how to disconnect lights temporary as I will have it corrected when the worktop is replaced.

Next water pump is the worst I have ever had, noisy my god is it & don’t dare to use the shower when the battery is on charge as it alternates between scalding or nothing as the pump pulses so badly!

With a look at this forum I found a suggestion that by turning on the cold tap on the bathroom sink the problem lessens & indeed it does but with three grandchildren getting into caravanning the potential for an accident is not acceptable, I have to make sure that the battery isn’t charging when they use the shower & despite my mentioning it to the dealer it remains the same as they couldn’t find the fault.

The shower leaks around the door edge very badly, report to dealer who puts some sealant around the offending joint, which by the way looks short on the rubberised strip?

Then the 1000w setting on the heater is found not to work (dealer replaced parts)

A large patch of mould on the panel at the side if the fridge appears (dealer orders parts & fixes)

The TV aerial amplifier fails (dealer orders new part)

The shower lining then started to show cracks around the angles & on the side, which then had to have an extra shower wall fitted over the top of the old wall.

The carpet has gone very shabby in just over a year in my opinion very low quality carpet & I see that swift have increased the carpet thickness by 70% so how poor was the old carpet thickness???

Van had first service done (140 ml round trip) & new wall at side of fridge fitted shower still leaking on side of door, which I asked to be looked at & found that silicone sealant had been, used all the way under the external strip under the door however it now leaks worse than ever?

The fridge started to freeze any milk put in it just a weekend before the van went for a service & I asked for it to be checked whilst the service was being done & the dealer informed me that it was ok & probably needed winter covers on but after I got the van back, I put some milk in the fridge & sure enough it froze overnight so I rang Thetford & the guy who I spoke to said it was almost defiantly the thermostat & sent me one in the post which arrived the next day & I fitted it myself - problem solved.

The mechanism that opens the toilet flap failed & would not open again a call to thetford pointed me in the right direction & a fixed myself, as I didn’t wish to make a 140 mile trip

The electric toilet flush has failed 3 times & I fixed it myself once & the dealer sorted it twice, I think this may be due to a faulty fuse as it looked corroded which I may have caused by removing the cassette without making sure no fluid was present in the bowl (toilet rinse) on one occasion & it wet the fuse holder under the toilet bowl.

Now this van was supposed to be the top of the line in comfort - style - quality etc & in just over a year, I have had a catalogue of faults, I am seriously concerned about the longevity of this product & I would like in the first instance a senior representative of Swift to call me & discuss it further.

Your experience is what I'm worried about when I pick up our new caravan in just over a weeks time. I swore when we bought a new caravan 20 years ago that was for ever going back to the dealers for repairs, like you a 120 mile round trip and lost weeks away, that we would never buy a new caravan, we'd let some other poor soul have all the hassle and buy second hand. Just goes to show things have not changed I'm hoping that I'm proved wrong, time will tell.

My previous van was an Avondale & on the first outing with it the ceiling leaked like a tap & worse than that exhaust fumes leaked into the drinks cabinet from the gas fire, Avondale swapped the van!

It is a great shame that after spending a not inconsiderable sum of hard earned cash on this van the faults let the product down & I think I have been paitient up to now but when is it time to get stroppy?

I must say that the product itself faults aprt is a delight but in the back of my mind I am worried that it is going to be a saga!

Bendigo,

I am sorry to read of the problems you have had with your new van.

If you wish to email me with your details and the outstanding issues your have I will endeavour to get these problems resolved as quickly as possible for you.

Regards

Andy Spacey

Design & Development Director

aspacey@swiftleisure. co. uk

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Hi bendigo,

You have quite a list of problems, whilst everyone on the forum can sympathise with you, it is a Swift dealer or Swift themselves that you need to contact to resolve them. .

This is an open forum on which Swift contribute, however it is not the best way of contacting Swift or getting your complaints resolved.

Have you written to Swift with your complaint, with my moderators hat on can I suggest that you PM Swift to make an initial contact and then once they have responded, deal directly with them.

I am not sugesting that you don't post here, but you will get the best result if you deal directly with the dealer, and Swift who have been very helpful to several forum members who have had problems.

GPS

p. s. Andy from Swift has beaten me to the next post but the above is still relevant.

Perhaps it would be better still if there were fewer people who had fewer problems with new caravans, we'd all be happier :D

YES I am aware of this however sometimes opening as many avenues as possible improves results, as I have said I have been very paitient up to now but following a £220 service the leak again is taxing me, I am in a service industry & I deal with customers every day all over the country, I ask my clients to let me know personaly if problems occur so I can sort faults out, most things can & do develop faults its the way the faults or complaints are rectified that determines the quality of a product in my opinion.

Perhaps it would be better still if there were fewer people who had fewer problems with new caravans, we'd all be happier :D

I have had a new Swift 'van (Challenger and Abbey) every 2 years for the past 12 years ( 7 new 'vans) and have had very, very few problems. Those that have occured have been speedily rectified by my dealer working with Swift, to my complete satisfaction - and I'm no push over.

My present 'van, delivered in December, goes in next week for some warranty work, just 2 things, the onboard water tank emptying valve drips, and the toilet full light is not working correctly (it goes out about 1/2 pint after coming on !!!). My dealer was happy to take this in several weeks back, but as I use the 'van most weekends the delay has been caused by ME . .. using the 'van !!

My reason for posting is simple, the OP has a tale of woe, others will leap in with the "I had the same . ." but there is another side . ... the one of many satisfied customers who get a great unit and good service . .. it is NOT all "doom and gloom" . . so please don't frighten any newcomers.

:)

Guest John KS

I agree with Entwood. ...We haven't had as many vans in such a short time though!

We bought our Challenger last year and have only had one problem. The alarm didn't work properly and that was replaced last week.

They are not all bad or maybe we are not as fussy as some!

Edited by John KS

Hi I am Bendigo I know I have 2 registrations but I have 2 pc's at 2 locations & messed up registering so I had to set up 2 logins etc not trying to confuse anyone.

In reply to Entwood its not a question of trying to frighten anyone more a question of getting things sorted, you are very fortunate to be able to swap your van every 2 years Entwood I am not in that position so I have to try & ensure my purchases are as good as I can afford at the time & the faults such as the leaking shower have the potential to cause delamination further down the line, it isnt a minor fault in my opinion, not being confrontational but I had hoped to get 5,6, or 7 years out of the van so maybe you can see why I am not a happy bunny.

The dealer has not argued about anything but conversly they have not sorted some of the problem to my satisfaction & the return journey of 140 miles is at best inconvenient, I didnt travel to get a cheap deal, Swift pointed me in the direction of the dealer as no one else in the country had one of these vans in or I would have used a local dealer.

I agree with Entwood. ...We haven't had as many vans in such a short time though!

We bought our Challenger last year and have only had one problem. The alarm didn't work properly and that was replaced last week.

They are not all bad or maybe we are not as fussy as some!

John

I assume that you didn't mean that it took 12 weeks to replace the alarm ? A potential insurance issue if declared.

We don't change caravans every 2 years more like every 3 but I have had warranty issues with the last 3 vans and the last 2 have been Swifts.

I can honestly say that I have never had a warranty part delivered from Swift in under 4 weeks and more often 6 - 8 weeks and I think this delay exacerbates the problems and frustration.

I also think too many caravanners expect to have problems and live with some of them. Are we our own worst enemies ? I was in a caravan last Sunday where there was a quarter of an inch gap at the bottom of the door and the owner said to me 'they're all like that !!'.

Bill

Guest John KS
John

I assume that you didn't mean that it took 12 weeks to replace the alarm ? A potential insurance issue if declared.

Bill

Hi Bill

No. ... it took 1 day to replace it. Didn't bother to take it in for 12 months and the policy didn't require an alarm. They are are waste of time anyway as no one takes any notice. I have my own alarm and tracker on it. Sends me a text message if anyone interfears with it.

I can honestly say that I have never had a warranty part delivered from Swift in under 4 weeks and more often 6 - 8 weeks and I think this delay exacerbates the problems and frustration. Bill

If I had to wait that length of time for any part, I would be fuming, not just frustrated, especially if it prevented me from using an expensive purchase.

Are these delays the norm?

Jim.

Edited by Guest

If I had to wait that length of time for any part, I would be fuming, not just frustrated, especially if it prevented me from using an expensive purchase.

Are these delays the norm?

Jim.

I'm not sure if it's the norm but certainly it's my experience with 2 caravans and 2 different dealers.

Worst time of the year is just before August as I think that the Swift factory shuts down for most of August. I have assumed that my current dealer is not telling me 'porkies' as it's not to his advantage to sit on spare parts. I always deal through my dealer but must admit that I went on a customer visit to the Swift factory in Cottingham and Kath Powell pushed through a couple of replacement windows that there had been a delay on.

Bill

I'm not sure if it's the norm but certainly it's my experience with 2 caravans and 2 different dealers.

Worst time of the year is just before August as I think that the Swift factory shuts down for most of August. I have assumed that my current dealer is not telling me 'porkies' as it's not to his advantage to sit on spare parts. I always deal through my dealer but must admit that I went on a customer visit to the Swift factory in Cottingham and Kath Powell pushed through a couple of replacement windows that there had been a delay on.

Bill

Bill,

Your right we do have a factory shutdown for 3 weeks in August, but we do have staff in for two weeks of the three to support aftersales and customer services.

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Bill,

Your right we do have a factory shutdown for 3 weeks in August, but we do have staff in for two weeks of the three to support aftersales and customer services.

Thanks

Andy

Andy

Thanks for such a quick (note not Swift !!) reply.

The only way I knew about the shut down was Swift customer services explaining this as one of the problems affecting the late delivery of my parts.

Bill

Whilst the post from the moderator is correct I also find that by posting on this site it enables the manufacturer, dealer, buyer and other potential purchasers to determine whether a complaint has been properly addressed. By all means address the dealer however that shouldn't be a substitute for leaving details of your experiences on here.

Good Luck and I say this from someone who is seriously thinking of changing their Lunar for a Swift.

Regards

vectra

Whilst the post from the moderator is correct I also find that by posting on this site it enables the manufacturer, dealer, buyer and other potential purchasers to determine whether a complaint has been properly addressed. By all means address the dealer however that shouldn't be a substitute for leaving details of your experiences on here.

Good Luck and I say this from someone who is seriously thinking of changing their Lunar for a Swift.

Regards

vectra

Can't disagree with you, but we have in the past had people post their complaint on the forum without bothering to contacting the dealer nor the manufacturer, how they expect to get anything done that way is beyond me.

So when a post appears such as this one, it is only right that we ask the questions and try to ensure they have made direct contact with the suppying dealer and the manufacturer, as that is the correct way for the problems to be resolved.

It also preserves the integrity of this forum as being a place for good sound advice.

GPS

Guest Surfer
Can't disagree with you, but we have in the past had people post their complaint on the forum without bothering to contacting the dealer nor the manufacturer, how they expect to get anything done that way is beyond me.

So when a post appears such as this one, it is only right that we ask the questions and try to ensure they have made direct contact with the suppying dealer and the manufacturer, as that is the correct way for the problems to be resolved.

It also preserves the integrity of this forum as being a place for good sound advice.

GPS

I thought the OP mentioned all that in his first post??????????

I thought the OP mentioned all that in his first post??????????

1)My last post was in response to the quoted comments within the post by way of explanation to that particular post.

2) My first post was as a direct response to the posters last comment, asking for Swift to contact them by way of the forum is not the best way to get things resolved.

GPS

I have indeed received a response from Swift & I hope that the problems can finally be resolved, I had contacted both the dealer & swift prior to posting on here & had on several occasions tried to get things sorted whilst using the van & as I have said earlier the van fits my needs exactly I spent to much time looking at brochures, visiting shows & dealers before choosing this make & model & I am in a service industry & I know we dont live in a perfect world things can & do fail but as I have said its the way that problems are resolved that sorts out the men from the boys or the women from the girls! in my opinion.

By the way I am in the TV aerial field so if anyone has any signal related problems or questions please drop me a line I would be happy to help.