More Slight Niggles In Our Limousin

ildi

We have just come back from our first real holiday since owning the van. We have now found that the arial is not working so we will have to ring the dealers and take the van back again. When we plugged in the areal we had no signal whatsoever. My husband then decided to pug the tv in straight to the arial in the cupboard and the tv signal was excellent. He then bought an extention arial and cobbled it up so that I could watch my soaps without the earache I was giving him (As though it was his fault). My other gripe is the water. It tastes of something resembleing TCP. We purchased a Brita water filter but the taste was still awful. At the site no one else had any problems. I then went out and bought another new aquaroll thinking that ours may be faulty in some way. It wasn't, even with the new aquaroll we still had the same awful taste in our cooking etc. I had to resort in cooking and drinking with bottled water. ...To be honest I dont know what to do next. I live in a hard water area and use a filter and had never experienced this awful tasting water. ...Other than that we did have a great time away and we are looking forward to our next holiday in May. Any suggestions regarding the water please share. ......

bobsnobs

There have been many comments on this forum re water tasting and I suspect it concerned the plastic pipes.

As for the TV ariel system, check the connections on the end of the cables. I remember reading a while ago that some were not fitted very carefully and in inner conductor was touching the outer braid inside the plugs thereby causing a 'short'.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Hi Colger23

Thanks for your reply. ..My husband checked the coax cables and all was well. The problem lies somewhere between the box in the cupboard near the radio and the wiring to the actual plug socket where we plug in the arial. We actually got the tv working fine with a lovely picture when we plugged it in direct to the antenna. Hubby could re-wire the lot but I dont think he should as it is still under warranty and it should be the dealers problem. ...I am looking for the thread regarding the water. ..

bobsnobs

Guest John KS
Hi Colger23

Thanks for your reply. ..My husband checked the coax cables and all was well. The problem lies somewhere between the box in the cupboard near the radio and the wiring to the actual plug socket where we plug in the arial. We actually got the tv working fine with a lovely picture when we plugged it in direct to the antenna. Hubby could re-wire the lot but I dont think he should as it is still under warranty and it should be the dealers problem. ...I am looking for the thread regarding the water. ..

We had the sme aerial problem on our van. Found that the cables had been fitted into the amplifier box wrong. Try swapping them round.

As for the water, we don't ever drink the water from the aquaroll or the van. The pipes are plastic and will aways taste a little odd. The water is stagnant after sitting in the roll and pipes and isn't fresh. The taste will go eventually.

It is a good idea to have two aquarolls anyway. Put them in the shower when travelling.

Edited by John KS

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Just started another season with all the niggles including the same arial problem sorted on the first service. Caravanning is fun again.

Bathroom door sorted

Arial connection sorted

Waste pipe on bathroom sink sorted

Oven now stays alight. sorted

What a difference it makes to being able to just relax and not have to get the tool kit out.

What was wrong with the Aerial connection?

It was not connected behind the main tv arial connection socket. I did not have the tools to take the switch off so waited for the first service. Spent the whole season with the coax cable connected directly to the box in the radio cupboard.

With over a 60 mile round trip to the dealers I decided to wait for the first service. Also by that time I had a list of things to be repaired.

Good luck with you problems.

Regards,

Shellslapmc

Edited by shellslapmc

In almost 20 years of caravanning I've NEVER been away without at least once having to repair something on my caravans, be it a loose screw or something major like water pump packing up. If I get on site and everything works then it's a minor miracle. Sorry to be so negative but hey that's caravanning for you.

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

In almost 20 years of caravanning I've NEVER been away without at least once having to repair something on my caravans, be it a loose screw or something major like water pump packing up. If I get on site and everything works then it's a minor miracle. Sorry to be so negative but hey that's caravanning for you.

After 16 years of caravanning I have now experienced a minor miracle, 14 nights away without the need to use a tool kit.

I have always believed that doing minor repairs is part of caravanning but to experience a period of trouble free relaxation was wonderful. Just hope it lasts.

We have just come back from our first real holiday since owning the van. We have now found that the arial is not working so we will have to ring the dealers and take the van back again. When we plugged in the areal we had no signal whatsoever. My husband then decided to pug the tv in straight to the arial in the cupboard and the tv signal was excellent. He then bought an extention arial and cobbled it up so that I could watch my soaps without the earache I was giving him (As though it was his fault). My other gripe is the water. It tastes of something resembleing TCP. We purchased a Brita water filter but the taste was still awful. At the site no one else had any problems. I then went out and bought another new aquaroll thinking that ours may be faulty in some way. It wasn't, even with the new aquaroll we still had the same awful taste in our cooking etc. I had to resort in cooking and drinking with bottled water. ...To be honest I dont know what to do next. I live in a hard water area and use a filter and had never experienced this awful tasting water. ...Other than that we did have a great time away and we are looking forward to our next holiday in May. Any suggestions regarding the water please share. ......

Hi Ildi,

It's certainly not a niggle. We have got the same nasty TCP taste on our Limousin too. My production date was week 47 in 2008. Just wonder how many other new Bailey owners are having to make journeys to the water point to fill up the kettle (come rain, wind or shine). Not exactly what we expected. Your Limousin was quite a few weeks after ours in early 2009 and the problem is possibly still ongoing.

I have raised this with our dealer who is a significant distance away from us. Other than this point there has been nothing we have any problems with. Given what has been said for some time about this water pipe issue, I am dissapointed that a Bailey, a major producer of caravans, are not getting it right first time. The dealers must be feeding back the problems such that someone can cure this problem at the manufacturing stage and not have owners take to caravan back for rectification work.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

I have two 1. 5 litre bottles that I fill up each day and put in the fridge.

Just can't understand why anyone would use water that has been left outside in the sun, with the occasional passing dog that may cock his leg against the water container.

We use a couple of those 5 litre plastic bottles from the supermarket, which we refill at the site tap.

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

Hi

I spoke to the dealers today who are going to speak to Baileys. They did say it will be a very big job and costly too. They are going to contact Bailey's and come back to us. I have sent them over the link from other fellow caravanners regarding the water and also kelly's reply. They are also going to look into the arial for us too. i dont have any complaints about the dealer I think they have been very good. Its just a pity that we have to drag the van back yet again. In your case Pommie you have further to go to than we do. It time hassle and petrol and the cost of that is our cost. I think Baileys should get the petrol bill too (I know wishful thinking). Thank you everyone for all your help and replies and I will again say this forum is the best thing since sliced bread. I will keep you posted.

bobsnobs

The TCP tast in the water is a known problem & has been dealt with in the past by Bailey's changing the water pipes It is not a problem specific to the Limosin though

Guest John KS
The TCP tast in the water is a known problem & has been dealt with in the past by Bailey's changing the water pipes It is not a problem specific to the Limosin though

It is due to Flouride in the wate reacting to the material in the pipes.

Edited by John KS

Hi TD42

The dealers did say today that the last time they heard about this type of problem with the water was over 10 years ago. The problem then was not with Baileys Caravans but with other models. I will from now on take a 5 litre container like other caravanners do and fill it at the tap for cooking and use bottled water for the kettle.

bobsnobs

I have just spoke to our dealers who have in turn been speaking to Baileys. They think the problem lies with the non return valves which require changing. The cold water is mixing with the hot water from the onboard tank. They have got paperwork through from Baileys on how to rectify this and will be calling me back this afternoon to let me know whether its definateley just the valves that needs changing or all the pipes. ..Unfortunately they are so busy I wont be able to have it dont along with the arial until May however I will make sure I take a couple of 5ltr containers on my next trip. Pommie you will find that your dealer will tell you the same and I would plug for them to pay some of your petrol when you have to take your van back.

bobsnobs