Al-ko Wheel Lock Delivery

mt85

Hi,

We have just purchased a new caravan, should have also got an Alko wheel lock with it but that wasn't at the dealers when we collected the van (but that's another story). We are obviously chasing it with Al-ko direct and also trying to get the dealer to do the same, basically would like to know if any one else is having problems obtaining a wheel lock from Al-ko or if we are just getting the run-around!

Thanks x

Guest John KS

We ordered a lock from them some while back and had to wait. It will come eventually. I hope you have got a mover on your new van otherwise you probably won't use the lock!!!!!!!

We ordered a lock from them some while back and had to wait. It will come eventually. I hope you have got a mover on your new van otherwise you probably won't use the lock!!!!!!!

Was offered Bulldog Max by dealer as alternative, apparently this fits the Alko receiver as well. Does any one know whether this lock is just as good as the Alko? Insurance with CC they will give 10% reduction for Alko but nothing for the Bulldog. Which of these devices are easier to fit? (P. S. We have got a mover!).

Guest John KS

I Agree. Stick with the Al-Ko. I didn't think that Bulldog could sell their unit as they lost a court case. The Al-ko is easy to fit if you remember to put it on before you put the legs down!!!!!!

There was a guy on the car boot at Long Marston with a brand new lock plate complete and unused fot £45 last Sunday

It was very narrow and had no 1 stamped on

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

I have a Bull-dog Max which is by all accounts much easier to fit and remove than the Al-ko secure.

It may not be as secure as tHe Al-ko but it meets the requirements of my insurer. Why not try and borrwo the bulldog until you get the Al-ko one.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

I have a Bull-dog Max which is by all accounts much easier to fit and remove than the Al-ko secure.

It may not be as secure as tHe Al-ko but it meets the requirements of my insurer. Why not try and borrwo the bulldog until you get the Al-ko one.

poolebob

Same here - just glad I bought a new Max before the Al Ko legal action - there are still some available via Dealers, I understand, although I would guess Bulldog won't be making any more since the legal action - not in it's current form, anyway! :D

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

Hi,

We have just purchased a new caravan, should have also got an Alko wheel lock with it but that wasn't at the dealers when we collected the van (but that's another story). We are obviously chasing it with Al-ko direct and also trying to get the dealer to do the same, basically would like to know if any one else is having problems obtaining a wheel lock from Al-ko or if we are just getting the run-around!

Thanks x

Alko and our dealer really pi**ed me off when I bought our van. The wheel lock was ordered a week after we placed the order for the van, Alko locks for Bailey vans can only be ordered from Bailey. The van was collected and the lock handed to us, when we arrived home and tried to fit the lock, the security plug was still in the receiver with no removal tool :angry: . I had to register the lock with Alko before they would send it to me. That meant that to protect Alko's copyright I had a brand new, unused caravan sitting on my driveway for four days with no wheel lock. I didn't get much sleep.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

From comments on this forum there is a view that the Al-Ko Secure is more secure than the Bulldog Max although I have seen a video clip of how thiefs remove the Al-ko's and it is remarkably quick.

I was supplied with the Al-Ko with the caravan but it is a bit difficult to get on and I have to use my motor mover to line it up precisely and always use it at home. Al-Ko seem to have a view that it is reassuring that it is difficult to get on as this proves how secure it is ! I hope that they are right !!

As I go on a lot of rallies on uneven ground it is too difficult to put on and I bought a Bulldog Max which is very simple to put on. Perhaps my logic is some protection rather than none.

Bill

Edited by bigbilly

Had both and the bulldog is so much easier to use but I'm told that my dealer can no longer sell them. If you have the AlKo and don't use it your insurance will be void.

Jeff

Guest John KS
I have seen a video clip of how thiefs remove the Al-ko's and it is remarkably quick.

Bill

Bill

I would like to see that video if you can find it. So would a few others I think. I don't rate any of the Sold Secure products.

Had both and the bulldog is so much easier to use but I'm told that my dealer can no longer sell them. If you have the AlKo and don't use it your insurance will be void. Jeff

Not necessarily,

It depends entirely on your insurance company.

The CC policy states an alarm and protection clause that the caravan insured is fitted with and alarm system that detects unauthorised removal of the caravan through the use of a tilt sensor or a corner steady sensor.

The CC offer an additional discount for using the AL-KO, if you claim the additional discount and subsiquent reduced premium for having the AL-KO wheel lock, then I agree you must fit it.

Steve

I had the problem when we changed the van last year

The C & CC Insurance gives a discount for the Alko lock but because of the fitted blanking plug and Alko security about removing it the insurance was going to be invalid

So I posted this on the website and Kath took up tte cause with several phone calls to Alko(thanks Kath)

She summed it up by saying that the procedure was messy and needed sorting out

In the event despite best efforts the clamp arrived a week after the van had been delivered

Contacting the insureres they would have given reduced or extra cost (no discount) cover for no Alko

Fortunately the dealer had a spare unit from an unclaimed order but Ako still had to be contacted for the tool to remove the plug and van vin no, lock security code etc supplied

It was not customer friendly

Now that Alko has seen off Bulldog I wonder if the blaking plug fiasco will be redundant

I can understand why Alko wanted to protect their patent but many people probably bought the Bulldog as it avoided the Alko hassle and is easier to fit if not eligible for such big insurance discounts

I have the Alko and the Excalibur which comes with its own receiver that fits through either wheel from behind

Its possible to mix and match

You can fit the Excalibur to its own receiver or the Alko one and you can also fit the Alko clamp to the Excalibur receiver so if the valve is in the way or the slot doesn't line up exactly you can fit the easier Excalibur in the Alko receiver and put the Alko on the other side using the Excalibur receiver

Many people have posted about the receiver on the nearside as its out of site when the awning is up etc

You can use the Excalibur on both sides

I asked Alko to fit a receiver on the offside when the axle was in for repair but after quoting a price they didn't have the parts to do the job :rolleyes:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Hello all,

I hope you all have had a pleasant Easter Break.

Thanks for your comments on the AL-KO Secure availability.

Firstly, the grub screw that was fitted into the Receiver on the wheel drum has been removed since January of this year. There are still a number of receivers that have the grub screw in, and we have notified as many caravan dealers as we can, of the process they can go through to get a set of the removal tools to ensure that vehicles are handed over with the receiver ready for use.

When AL-KO started to fit the Grub Screw into the receiver, we advised the Dealers of the process to follow, including a number of dealer training days held by the vehicle manufacturers, to notify them of the fitment of the grubscrew and what they needed to do to ensure that, where necessary the lock was available for the customer upon collection of the caravan. We also advised them of the need to get the wheel locks registered prior to collection, so that AL-KO could send the removal tool to their customer, so that when they arrived to collect their caravan, they could simply remove the grub screw and allow the lock to be fitted.

This information has also been resident on our website since the grub screw started to be fit.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

Marketing Manager

AL-KO Kober Limited