Tow Bar

touringmart

Hi,

I had that grinding noise a there was slight rust on the toe bar over the winter which i lightly sanded off

whic cured the problem but the rust spec keep areaing on the ball is there anything you can put on it.

Mitsubishi Outlander/Avante 576

Hi,

I had that grinding noise a there was slight rust on the toe bar over the winter which i lightly sanded off

whic cured the problem but the rust spec keep areaing on the ball is there anything you can put on it.

Hi,

I used to fit a cover over the hitch and didn't have further problems. Of course if you don't have an Alko, or similar hitch mounted stabilizer, then the towball can be greased which would prevent rust. You must never, though, use grease on the towball which works with a hitch mounted stabilizer as it will contaminate the friction pads,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi,

I used to fit a cover over the hitch and didn't have further problems. Of course if you don't have an Alko, or similar hitch mounted stabilizer, then the towball can be greased which would prevent rust. You must never, though, use grease on the towball which works with a hitch mounted stabilizer as it will contaminate the friction pads,

Regards,

Ian.

Absolutely right. If you have a stabiliser hitch you should really use a ball cover. The other alternative would be treating with WD40 which can be removed with brake & clutch cleaner or degreasing spray before towing. Sanding off surface rust is ok, but each layer you take off reduces the diameter of the towball on top of the wear caused by the stabiliser friction pads and you'll end up replacing the ball earlier.

For reference, the minimum towball diameter if using an al-ko stabiliser hitch is 49. 61mm. Winterhoff directions just state the ball has to be ''dimensionally correct'', presumably meaning within the legal limit?? 49mm is the legal minimum.

Hope this helps.

I have read somewhere that the friction pads in an Alko 3004 should be good for 30,000 miles. That being the case, if true, what degradation to the ball would occur over this period of use if between use the ball was kept covered and degreased before each use?

On reflection, maybe this question would be better in the ALKO section?

PM service off line - should I copy this to Alko section or will Admin move it please.

Edited by geriatric

Scotchbrite pads or kitchen scourers are the best bet to remove surface rust, they are no where near as aggresive as abrasive paper or tape. The damp weather always seems to create a bit of noise too. .