Jag X Type Diesel

BadbackCol

Hi all

I offer the following as general guidance and advice.

The Jaguar X Type diesel (aka 'Posh Mondeo') can suffer clutch/Dual Mass Flywheel failure at approximately 40-50k miles plus.

It seems to be a general design fault. The first signs can be: a starter motor problem-usually the starter motor is full of iron filings from the failing DMF.

Solution is a new DMF and clutch assembly and starter motor. Be prepared to pay anything from £800-£1000+.(!)

Do not try and attempt this job on your own. It requires a 2 post lift, gearbox stand and 2 persons to lift/refit the 'box.

Sometimes the rear crankshaft oil seal also fails and contaminates the clutch.

What's bad: Traction control system cuts in too early. clutch failures and drivetrain whines. Also cooling fan failure. Some of the first X-type diesels had similar starting, idling and misfiring problems as Mondeo TDCi 130. Jaguar had fifth highest warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability Index (www. reliabilityindex. co. uk).

What to watch out for: Drivetrain drone on four-wheel drive manuals, erratic slow running in traffic with poor engine response from low revs and lights dimming for no apparent reason. Drivers have reported problems with ZF autobox, central locking mechanism, climate control and whining from the steering rack.

Recalls: 5/3/2003 (30,183 cars, VIN numbers SAJAD53L21WC00294 to SAJAH52S73YD17471): when power is lost to indicators the internal tell-tale flashes as if there was no fault. Replace electrical control module with modified item.

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

The traction control cutting in too early may be a design "feature" intended to reduce strain on the DMF and extend it's life (and reduce warrant claims !).

Strange that Jaguar use a rare ZF autobox when the Mondeo and Freelander 2 use the common Aisin autobox with diesels, whether 2 or 4 wheel drive - is this because the X-type uses the old Mondeo platform, not the current one which is shared by Ford, Volvo and Land-Rover?

the X-type uses the old Mondeo platform

Hi Roger

Yes. The X type uses the Mondeo 4 x 4 platform so as to achieve RWD.

The X type is basically a reskinned Mondeo. Fancy keyfob, Ford key,Ford instrumentation and engine fancied up to make them look 'upmarket'.

All in all a "Bitsa"-Bitsa this and Bitsa that.

Whoever would have thought that Jaguar would produce a diesel engined Estate car? Ugh!

Regards.

Col

I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.

Simple answer.

Buy the 3. 0V6 Petrol version. :D

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Hi Roger

Yes. The X type uses the Mondeo 4 x 4 platform so as to achieve RWD.

The X type is basically a reskinned Mondeo. Fancy keyfob, Ford key,Ford instrumentation and engine fancied up to make them look 'upmarket'.

All in all a "Bitsa"-Bitsa this and Bitsa that.

Regards.

Col

Mondeo never did a 4X4 in the Mk3.

All X Type Diesels and the 2. 1V6 Petrol are front wheel drive, exactly the same as a Mondeo.

For the 2. 5V6 and 3. 0V6 Jag manage to squeeze in a transfer box and made them 4X4.

No X type is RWD.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

All X Type Diesels and the 2. 1V6 Petrol are front wheel drive, exactly the same as a Mondeo.

For the 2. 5V6 and 3. 0V6 Jag manage to squeeze in a transfer box and made them 4X4.

No X type is RWD.

Cheers

Lee

So does the X-type use a ZF autobox or the Aisin?

Who cares, steer clear. These dual mass flywheels are also a problem on Vauxhall Vectras, probably just another money making racket by the "Stealers" sorry "Dealers" to get the last sheckels out of our pockets.

Thats the Nissan X Trail, and Subaru Outback, and Jaguar off my list as a replacement tow car thanks for the good advice. Cheers.

Edited by iwoo

Who cares, steer clear. These dual mass flywheels are also a problem on Vauxhall Vectras, probably just another money making racket by the "Stealers" sorry "Dealers" to get the last sheckels out of our pockets.

Thats the Nissan X Trail, and Subaru Outback, and Jaguar off my list as a replacement tow car thanks for the good advice. Cheers.

Since when have the dealers 'specified' the type of flywheel fitted :P

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

DMF is fitted to most diesels so you'll need to take all the other brands off your list.

DMF is fitted to most diesels so you'll need to take all the other brands off your list.

Not only diesels have DMFs. Most manual vehicles suitable for towing now sport DMFs.

The only way around it is, buy an automatic.

Best,

Frank

Also fitted to most petrols now too.

There is a big difference though, normal piston type internal combustion engines do not produce smooth torque they produce a series of torque pulses. On a 4 cylinder 4 stroke petrol or diesel that's 2 pulses per revolution.

The DMF as it's name suggests consists of two masses that are sprung loaded and is designed to absorb these torque pulses so you get less noise vibration and harshness through the gearbox and into the cabin.

The slower your engine is turning the less overlap between shocks and the higher the torque the engine puts out the bigger the shocks.

So your worst case for a DMF is an engine that produces high torque at low rpm ie your modern TDi. Petrol engines give DMF's a much easier time as torque is produced higher in the rev range and petrol engines big enough to give as much torque as TDi usually have more than 4 cylinders giving more pulses per revolution, more overlap and each pulse load is proportionally lower.

Auto's are not exempt either, some manufacturers have had premature torque converter failure due to the pulse loading from TDi's. One example is the Jeep Cherokee 2. 8CRD Auto. Jeep fitted the same torque converter as the 5. 7litre V8 Petrol but the 4 cylinder 2. 8CRD with 295lbft at 1800rpm started to kill the torque converters, they would strip the lockup clutch. Jeep had to recall every vehicle sold and replace the Torque converter and clutch assembley, the transmission pump, filters and upload a more friendly engine and gearbox map. Cost them £1500 per vehicle.

The problem wasn't the amount of torque that was killing the friction plates, the V8 has far more, but the voilence of the low speed heavy pulses.

I think many manufacturers under estimated the amout of abuse DMF's would get on modern high torque 4 cylinder TDi's.

Cheers

Lee

So does the X-type use a ZF autobox or the Aisin?

I believe Jag use a ZF box although it isn't the absolutely excellent 6 speeder that's fiited to the XF, XJ, XK etc.

It will have to be a box for transverse engine layout so I've no idea how good or reliable they are.

Cheers

Lee

I believe Jag use a ZF box although it isn't the absolutely excellent 6 speeder that's fiited to the XF, XJ, XK etc.

It will have to be a box for transverse engine layout so I've no idea how good or reliable they are.

Cheers

Lee

I'm aware of ZF's range of longitudinal gearboxes, and their excellent reputation, but I wasn't aware that they were making a transverse autobox.

I'm aware of ZF's range of longitudinal gearboxes, and their excellent reputation, but I wasn't aware that they were making a transverse autobox.

Not sure Roger but Jag do list it as having a ZF box.

ZF have a full page advert in this months Top Gear magazine just before the new 3. 0D XF review.

Looks like they have lots of products on stream including sequential manuals, double clutch auto's (DSG Type) and currently have on offer a new 8 speed conventional auto.

As well as manufacturing power steering racks and other car components they also do a lot of commercial boxes for excavators and trucks as well as large marine transmissions.

I suppose they will have a transverse box for a car among that lot. :lol:

Cheers

Lee

No X type is RWD.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee

I must apologise for mixing my X types.

You are correct. What I should have said was that the X Type Estate is 4 Wheel Drive-still based on the Mondeo platform. The 2008 model year can be ordered with an AW 6 speed auto 'box.

To be viable Ford needed to sell 170,000 X types pa. they sold on average 85000 (2. 0 Diesel) Fitting this engine was a bad move for Jaguar, hence it's replacement by the 2. 2 Diesel.

Regards.

Col

Hi Lee

I must apologise for mixing my X types.

You are correct. What I should have said was that the X Type Estate is 4 Wheel Drive-still based on the Mondeo platform. The 2008 model year can be ordered with an AW 6 speed auto 'box.

To be viable Ford needed to sell 170,000 X types pa. they sold on average 85000 (2. 0 Diesel) Fitting this engine was a bad move for Jaguar, hence it's replacement by the 2. 2 Diesel.

Regards.

Col

Hi Col,

Jag didn't replace the 2. 0 with the 2. 2, both engines are still sold today, I drove an 09 2. 0D Sport Premium just last week, both engines are basically the old Ford TDCi units from the last shape Mondeo. Ford no longer use these engines in the Mondeo as the new Mondeo has the latest PAS/Ford units.

The 2. 5V6 and 3. 0V6 X Types have always had four wheel and that's in both the Saloon and Estate. I believe only the 3. 0V6 is available now as the 2. 1V6 FWD and 2. 5V6 4X4 have been dropped.

Cheers

Lee