Coat Hangers Falling Off

wmcdonaldd

Hi there,

I'm sure this has come up many times before (cos I've seen letters & tips in some magazines), but because I've never had the problem before I've never paid attention to the solutions.

Our wardrobe has always been full to bursting, nothing could move, so nothing fell off.

Now however, we've got a new van with "his & hers" wardrobes right at the back & as I'm very aware of the weight neither get full & the hangers jump off!!!!

What do you do? I'd like to travel with them in the wardrobe rather than lying them on the bed.

thanks

Don

Nissan Xtrail 2. 2DCI and Bailey Senator Virginia

Does your van have suspension aids? We've not had this problem since we started fitting them to our vans. Other option is make some sort of clip from small thin length of wood with large clips fitted at each end and just clip it on the rail over the coathangers before you travel - we used to have one years ago, worked really well.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

From experience of several vans I believe that wardrobe rails running from front to back of the van tend to hold their coathangers better than rails running parallel with the axle. My present wardrobe is across the van and without fixings, most of the clothing will be on the floor at journey's end. My solution is to lay a length of 1" aluminium angle along the top of the hangers, held in place with two large spring clips.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi there,

I'm sure this has come up many times before (cos I've seen letters & tips in some magazines), but because I've never had the problem before I've never paid attention to the solutions.

Our wardrobe has always been full to bursting, nothing could move, so nothing fell off.

Now however, we've got a new van with "his & hers" wardrobes right at the back & as I'm very aware of the weight neither get full & the hangers jump off!!!!

What do you do? I'd like to travel with them in the wardrobe rather than lying them on the bed.

thanks

Don

Hi Had this problem some years ago when we had an end waredrobe, I found that covering the rail with insulation foam the type use on pipe did the trick, cost a few pence in B&Q. ..... when going on known bumpy roads/lane we removed the rail cut a nick in each end to allow a bungy stretch elastic hook into the rail, replaced back into the wardrobe with the bungy stretch along the top of the rail, and this made sure the hooks on hanger could not jump off. But the insul/foam worked fine 80% of the time. ........ safe travels Bob

Edited by Bob 60 & retired

We also use insulation foam without any problems

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

A good tip I had is to put each coat hanger facing in a different direction to each other (i. e. alternate) or in simpler speak 1 facing in - 1 facing out and so on.

So only half fall off at a time? ;)

L200 Dual Cab Auto + 2010 Lunar Clubman SE (September 2009)

Put a small elastic band over the hook of the coathanger, place hanger on rail and pull band up onto end of hanger enclosing the rail (hope this makes sense).

Grand cherokee+ Swift Conqueror

. .or lay them down on the front seats!

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

attach a piece of shock cord or elastic using a plastic tie to the top of the rail, stretch and fasten the other end the same.

hook the hangers between the elastic and the rail. ................ simpuls !!!!

mat

Edited by 8342mat

Astra 2L SRI cdti Sports Tourer 2014

Going Go Pod micro tourer 2015

Towing at 46%

I use foam pipe lagging (with a full length slit) , cut a length just shorter than the rail, just push it over the the hanger hooks, holds them tight on the rail B)

Bailey Ranger 510/4

& Skoda Octavia Elegance Estate 1. 9TDI

Various010-1.jpgmedia3_cropped-4.jpg

Guest John KS

We have his and hers ones and we use the foam idea. Just fitted some shock absorbers and used the van last week without the foam. Only one fell off! Living in hope that this has solved the problem.

I use those metal hangers you get from the dry cleaners in the van and just squeeze the hook into the shape of the rail. Clothes can tend to slide off these so I just use clothes pegs to keep them on.

A good tip I had is to put each coat hanger facing in a different direction to each other (i. e. alternate) or in simpler speak 1 facing in - 1 facing out and so on.

Hi,

A simple solution that works very well even we had a wardrobe at the back of the 'van,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Guest madrat

I found the rail to be the problem as it bounced very easily therefore magnifying the the up and down motion and throwing the clothes off. I knocked an old aluminium awning pole through the centre of the wardrobe pole making it rigid and the clothes now stay on the rail.