Towball Height (probably Again)

Guest Taid

The towball height on my Disco is 19" . . held at that by self levelling . . the van (level) has the hitch at 17" . .

not good practice, but had no problems towing, and being a long (ish) van doesn't really notice in appearance . .

Its a 2002 motor so hitch kit has to be "approved"

what have you done about lowering the ball height?

ta

The towball height requirement of type-approval doesn't apply to off-road 4x4s as it would otherwise compromise their ramp exit angles.

I believe the height-adjustable version of L-R towbars is more suitable for use with a caravan than the fixed height type.

The towball height on my Disco is 19" . . held at that by self levelling . . the van (level) has the hitch at 17" . .

not good practice, but had no problems towing, and being a long (ish) van doesn't really notice in appearance . .

Its a 2002 motor so hitch kit has to be "approved"

what have you done about lowering the ball height?

ta

Hi Taid

Either of these will do:

http://www. towsure. com/category/7194-Adjus. ..t_Tow_Couplings

http://www. towsure. com/category/6467-Towball_Drop_Plates

Although I use the top one as tow various hight trailers, and the main bonus

you don't bang your shin or your knee on the ball when shopping !

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

The towball height should be between 350mm (13. 78") and 420mm (16. 5") with the vehicle loaded according to EC Directive 94/20/EC but as Roger says your vehicle is outside the regulation but your caravan conforms and hence the difference, so you need around a 2. 5" or 3" drop and its usually recommended that your caravan has a slightly nose down attitude.

Brian

The towball height should be between 350mm (13. 78") and 420mm (16. 5") with the vehicle loaded according to EC Directive 94/20/EC but as Roger says your vehicle is outside the regulation but your caravan conforms and hence the difference, so you need around a 2. 5" or 3" drop and its usually recommended that your caravan has a slightly nose down attitude.

Brian

Yep. I knew all that . . my query is really 'with type approval legislation, what am I actually allowed to do . . or, because it's a 4X4 and not subject to the the EC directive regarding height, is it not subject to the rules regarding type approval for drop-plates or other kit on the hitch' ?

i have a 2003 discovery fitted with a brink towbar.

the bar itself has three different settings as an integral part of the bar.

the ball is set at the lowest hole giving a height of 17. 5" to its centre, without van attached.

if it its not causing an issue then i wouldnt be concerned. there are more serious issues on the road than a 1 to 2" high tow ball

as stated the other option will be a drop plate or change the tow bar. they are not expensive, self fit being only four bolts to the chasis but a little drastic imho.

mat

Astra 2L SRI cdti Sports Tourer 2014

Going Go Pod micro tourer 2015

Towing at 46%