We have a standard issue smoke alarm installed high up on the LH side locker end of our Charisma 620.

Ignoring the gags about dinner is ready when the alarm goes off! :D

We can find no combination of windows/door/extractor/vents open or closed that does not result in the alarm going off when we use the grill.

Do I need a "better" alarm or does everyone suffer from this problem?

Cheers

Keith

The only fix we have ever found that works is to swap the battery for a dead one.

Our temporary fix is to remove the battery when cooking, you then have to rember to replace it, so as not to wake up dead in the event of a fire in the night!

Cheers

Keith

The fix for me was to replace the "standard" alarm for one you can press a button and it silences it for 10 minutes. They are available from most supermarkets, Argos and most DIY stores. Mine's a First Alert brand. You can even press the button before you start using the grill and it won't go off for at least 10 minutes. Saves unplugging the battery and forgetting to replace the battery.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

The fix for me was to replace the "standard" alarm for one you can press a button and it silences it for 10 minutes. They are available from most supermarkets, Argos and most DIY stores. Mine's a First Alert brand. You can even press the button before you start using the grill and it won't go off for at least 10 minutes. Saves unplugging the battery and forgetting to replace the battery.

Also know as a 'hush feature'

Steve

Fiat Rimor Europeo 69P Motorhome

Normal Smoke Detectors are Ionisation detectors and I recommend that you purchase an Optical Detector which is not so sensitive when people are cooking, and are more suited to smaller spaces such as caravans.

These work better as I have an Optical Detector, but then I am a Fire Safety Officer!!!!! :lol:

Sharon

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

The smoke alarms fitted to caravans are just normal domestic types, but with a hush button fitted. It's not recommended to fit smoke alarms in domestic Kitchens because of the frequent false alarms from cooking and washing. Of course caravan kitchens aren't in separate rooms so the same principles can't be applied.

We have found that opening the Omnivent a couple of turns and running the extractor fan whenever the hob/grill/oven is in use avoids any false alarms. Our previous caravan had no fan, just the ventilator in the kitchen and we never had any problems with the alarm in that.

most alarms have a button to silence them, rather have it going off and know it works than not. consider moving it if possible.

jeff

Many caravanners suffer with this problem and that's why, unfortunately, you find many caravanners without the battery connected !

Bill

Normal Smoke Detectors are Ionisation detectors and I recommend that you purchase an Optical Detector which is not so sensitive when people are cooking, and are more suited to smaller spaces such as caravans.

These work better as I have an Optical Detector, but then I am a Fire Safety Officer!!!!! :lol:

Sharon

Thanks for the tip Sharon

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I simply twist the alarm off its mount by turning it approx 30 degrees anticlockwise and placing it face down while using the toaster. Saves having to remove the battery. Needless to say it is always re-mounted after cooking.

Kia Sorento XS with Swift Challenger 570

I simply twist the alarm off its mount by turning it approx 30 degrees anticlockwise and placing it face down while using the toaster. Saves having to remove the battery. Needless to say it is always re-mounted after cooking.

We do the same.

Scarlet 'till I die. ...

That's very much open to being forgetful. Don't know about you, but I can get distracted by the children during mealtime!

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody