Fridge Question

jan69c

We dont have twin electrics on our tow car, can you leave the fridge on gas when driving ?

Regards
Ian

We dont have twin electrics on our tow car, can you leave the fridge on gas when driving ?

No, Use ice packs to keep your fridge cool. ..if you are going from home to a site get your fridge cold on electric or gas before you leave, you will find it still cool after several hours with ice packs in there. ..

Ant

Atom

If it sounds too good to be true-----it probably is !!!

Thought that was the case, will just wait till i get to France.

Regards
Ian

Hi jan I think it is illegal to travel with gas cylinder in open position.

I do have twin electrics but on a trip to Cornwall, thought it ok to run fridge from warm on 12v on way down, it caused the plastic around pin to melt. I now pre cool on home mains or if its a weekend and cannot get van down our cul de sac, I switch off fridge altogether, put in a 2litre frozen bottle of water at storage compound, the chilled food/beer/wine is carried in cooler bag with ice packs, transferred to fridge when mains are connect on site and still cold.

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

Jan - we went from NW UK to Brittany last year without 2nd elec plug. We froze a 2 litre water bottle in the freezer and left it in the van fridge. Kept door shut and after 1. 1/2 days arrived in Brittany and water bottle was still 3/4 frozen.

I now don't see the reason for 2nd socket unless wild camping regularly.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hi Ian

You say you have not got 12s electrics, but why dont you put them on !

as for cost, I recon £20 will cover fitting to car, and you will be able to charge

the battery as well

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Brianinhull,

The current taken by the fridge is the same whether it is hot or cold. The centre pin melting is a common occurence due to bad contacts and the difficulty of getting heat away from the centre pin. There is a way of splitting the current through two pins utilising the spare pins, or four pins if you do both the supply and return. 13pin sockets which have now been introduced on new caravans dont suffer from this problem.

Brian