Heading For Scarborough

Just came back from a good weekend at the West Ayton CC site a few miles inland from Scarborough. As everyone knows, Sutton Bank on the A170 is prohibited for caravans and there is an alternative recommended route from the A19 or A1 to Hemlsley, going through various small villages including Ampleforth. We used this last year with no problems, but today driving through Ampleforth was a real headache. It's a long narrow street and had vehicles parked the entire length on one side of the road making it effectively a single carriageway. What would happen if two caravans met midway through is not something I'd fancy thinking about, though it must happen given that it's a recommended route? We certainly won't be taking that way again. Coming from the north I'd rather go the Whitby way even if it is much further. What you'd do for an alternative if coming from the south I don't know.

I'm sure others will have traversed this route with ease. However, if you're not familiar with it then you might appreciate a cautionary note?

Happy towing,

Ian

Just came back from a good weekend at the West Ayton CC site a few miles inland from Scarborough. As everyone knows, Sutton Bank on the A170 is prohibited for caravans and there is an alternative recommended route from the A19 or A1 to Hemlsley, going through various small villages including Ampleforth. We used this last year with no problems, but today driving through Ampleforth was a real headache. It's a long narrow street and had vehicles parked the entire length on one side of the road making it effectively a single carriageway. What would happen if two caravans met midway through is not something I'd fancy thinking about, though it must happen given that it's a recommended route? We certainly won't be taking that way again. Coming from the north I'd rather go the Whitby way even if it is much further. What you'd do for an alternative if coming from the south I don't know.

I'm sure others will have traversed this route with ease. However, if you're not familiar with it then you might appreciate a cautionary note?

Happy towing,

Ian

I've never been happy towing through Ampleforth for the reasons you state, and I'm surprised that there are not more restrictions applied, or perhaps a trafic light system, given that this route is the recommended caravan route.

For all that I still prefer it to going round by Whitby, especially if West Ayton is the destination!

From the South, the A64 from York is by far the best route for West Ayton.

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

Happy towing,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure which route you take to go to Scarborough via Whitby but that particular route is shorter by many miles if you go onto the A19/A174/A171. I did research it as I thought that it would be better, and save time, by going down to Thisk which is all dual carriageway but it would have added a fair bit of time and Jacki wants to get to the site asap :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

I've used the "Caravan Advisory Route" a couple of times without any problem as it's the only sensible route to CC Rosedale Abbey from the A1.

Old-fashioned towing mirrors fitted to both front wings helps - they can be used as "aiming points" - if they'll go through a gap then so will the caravan - they're no longer legal on their own because of EC nanny laws (you need to be able to adjust them from the driver's seat) so I have to have a door-mounted towing mirror as well.

• 1 month later...

Happy towing,

Ian

Thanks for that Ian

Will be using that route early June so will keep that in mind!

Cheers Malc

Kia Sportage CRDI + Coachman VIP 460/2

We travel from the north A19, A174, then turn off for Stokesley, (A172?) through Great Broughton to Helmsley then on to Scarborough. Not the fastest of routes, but the scenery is worth it.

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

Although Sutton bank is a no go route for caravans the last time i was over in that area i witnessed two 4 wheel drives towing substantial trailers up the bank.

I thought all trailers were banned on this apart from apart from HGV artics

Incidently back in 2001 i towed up the bank with my then Vauxhall Frontera mk2 2. 2 Dti with a Bailey Senator Oklahoma in low box 2nd gear and 4 wheel drive engaged with no problems what so ever, the restriction was introduced when many cars were underpowered and many became stuck half way up .

Modern 4 wheel drives are more than capable of towing up this incline and the deviation route is very poor and it also has a pretty steep hill at Wass bank, perhaps the restriction should lifted for 4 wheel drives .

I think the restriction is to protect you from the nutters flying down the bank as much as anything! (That includes cars/vans as well as m /cycles). I wouldn't like to try taking avoiding action with the van on the back when something flies round over the white line.

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

In July, we will be travelling from Cayton to Hawes, which route would be best for this journey? Arriving in Cayton we will be coming from the north, so I've already taken on board the previous suggestions, but I'm not so sure as to what's best for the westerly route! All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks, Heather

In July, we will be travelling from Cayton to Hawes, which route would be best for this journey? Arriving in Cayton we will be coming from the north, so I've already taken on board the previous suggestions, but I'm not so sure as to what's best for the westerly route! All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks, Heather

I suppose the best way would be to take the caravan route then head towards Thirsk, over to Leeming Bar and then on to Hawes. However like others I am reluctant to recomment the caravan route because of the increasing problem of parked cars in Ampleforth. I also don't like the route through Helmesley to Gt Broughton due to this road being used a race track by motorcyclists.

Bailey Ranger 620/6 and Land Rover Discovery 3

Modern 4 wheel drives are more than capable of towing up this incline and the deviation route is very poor and it also has a pretty steep hill at Wass bank, perhaps the restriction should lifted for 4 wheel drives .

I live 'just down the road' from Sutton Bank and use it a fair bit. ............frankly it isn't the getting up that is dangerous for caravans but the coming down!...4x4's or not. ......I hate the caravan route but as it is just about three miles away I use it and don't like Ampleforth either. ..for preference I would use the Gt. Broughton -Helmsley Road. ...if it was nearer.

If you really want a better flowing safer road then the long,much, way around down the A64 and York Ring Road would be another option.

rgds

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530