Is This Normal?

jazz006

We ordered a brand new caravan a few months ago from our local dealer. We have had 2 second hand caravans before but this is our first new caravan. When we ordered the dealer told us it would be around the 9th April that they would get the caravan, it's now the 6th and the dealer still cannot confirm when we or they will get the caravan. Is this normal?

The same is happening to us right now. Although they haven't said why you would think that a dealer would have a good idea especially if they are used to taking delivery of new vans. If its out of the ordinary for a manufacturer not to delivery as expected whats wrong with saying so, and vice versa if its a common occurrance whats wrong with saying so. It avoids disappointment ? Honesty would be the best policy it allows you to make decision like not book a family holiday for next week!

Guest John KS

I've said it before, never order a caravan from a dealer. Find someone that has got one already in stock. The caravan industry is probably the most unreliable there is. Only ever ordered one once and had to wait. Never again!

Which manufacturers are late on delivery now???

Ordered ours at the NEC in February - collected it last Monday, so some do stick to their delivery promises!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I would suggest you ring the manafacturer, who in my experience will tell you exactly where the van is in the system and give you a projected delivery date. Remember that all manafacturers have made lots of staff redundent and I believe the downturn is not as bad as expected. Hence delivery lead times are extending.

Good luck

Bernie

Disco 3 & Bessacar Cameo 625 gl

Caravans are usually made in batches of a particular model so I can't see why you can't be given a more precise answer. The dealer should know what week the expected delivery is to be made and then you have to add time for the PDI. There have been a couple of problems with supply of plastic components as the major producer when into administration but is now working normally. Having said all that the dealer should have the detail and be able to explain any reasons.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I have on Sunday 05-04-09 ordered a new Bailey which is sceduled to be built w/c the 13-04-09 and the dealer assures me it will be in my hands by the end of the month after reading the previous post's I am not so sure. We will have to wait and see.

Edited by ad210358

We ordered our van on the 30th March, our dealer phoned on Monday to confirm its build date as 4 May, it then needs to be delivered to them, they will need a week for PDI and fitting mover and satellite system plus a few extra bits we've ordered. We would expect to collect it towards the end of May, if it is earlier all well and good. We take our van in next week and aren't planning to go away again until end May, early June so no rush.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

We ordered our van on the 30th March, our dealer phoned on Monday to confirm its build date as 4 May, it then needs to be delivered to them, they will need a week for PDI and fitting mover and satellite system plus a few extra bits we've ordered. We would expect to collect it towards the end of May, if it is earlier all well and good. We take our van in next week and aren't planning to go away again until end May, early June so no rush.

Jan - from what has been said on other threads, think it is dangerous to take your van in unless they are giving you cash for it. if it is on a part exchange basis, you are in serious brown stuff if the dealer/manufacturer goes out of business before your new one is handed over to you.

i would tell the dealer you are going to use the van and hold on to it until you exchange.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

No dealer has ever had a van from us in px before the collection date.

6 new vans in 9 years.

As for delievry times, no disrespect but if your dealer can fob you off, and your the type to take it, then he will and you will.

Its as simple as this:

a dealer is given a list of what they have ordered, or what is available on what week of what month. They then either confirm their order or place there name next to the van on the sheet for delivery on x week of x month.

If there is a delay or a problem they know almost instantly because it can have a massive effect all round.

Your dealer knows where your van is, what week its being made, and when its being delivered.

If he doesnt, then he hasnt ordered it or is up to something, fact.

You WILL get fobbed off, thats the caravan industry and the quicker people wise up the better.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Jan - from what has been said on other threads, think it is dangerous to take your van in unless they are giving you cash for it. if it is on a part exchange basis, you are in serious brown stuff if the dealer/manufacturer goes out of business before your new one is handed over to you.

i would tell the dealer you are going to use the van and hold on to it until you exchange.

Our dealer did not ask for the van - it is our decision. We know them well not just as a dealer and are quite happy to leave it with them. We want the satellite and mover taken off the van ready to put on to the new one. If they can do this before it arrives then we can get our new van much quicker (in our opinion).

Sorry but I do not follow the theory that all dealers are there to rip us off - ours is a family owned business which is making a living just the same as our business is run. In fact we do their photography work and have got hold of the odd camera for them.

Lets get away from seeing doom and gloom in every transaction. We are happy with the deal we have done with them, they have always given us excellent service and we happen to know them personally - why on earth do we have to "tell them" things - why be so confrontational all the time.

NE Scotland

Oh and BTW we have owned caravans and motorhomes since the early 70s - have purchased them in Germany and various parts of UK. Maybe we are just lucky but we have never had a bad deal or dealer.

NE Scotland

I've had a number of new vans over the last few years and all have arrived on time. We too have put our old vans in early to have bits changed over without problems, you have to trust (we've been using the same company for 20+ years)

jeff

I've had a number of new vans over the last few years and all have arrived on time. We too have put our old vans in early to have bits changed over without problems, you have to trust (we've been using the same company for 20+ years)

jeff

Thank goodness we are not alone!!!!

NE Scotland

Our dealer did not ask for the van - it is our decision. We know them well not just as a dealer and are quite happy to leave it with them. We want the satellite and mover taken off the van ready to put on to the new one. If they can do this before it arrives then we can get our new van much quicker (in our opinion).

Sorry but I do not follow the theory that all dealers are there to rip us off - ours is a family owned business which is making a living just the same as our business is run. In fact we do their photography work and have got hold of the odd camera for them.

Lets get away from seeing doom and gloom in every transaction. We are happy with the deal we have done with them, they have always given us excellent service and we happen to know them personally - why on earth do we have to "tell them" things - why be so confrontational all the time.

don't think I ever suggested that the dealer was trying to "rip you off" - just that it could be a problem for you if they went out of business between the 2 transactions. if you are happy with the deal, I am very happy for you and will withdraw all the "confrontational" issue as you saw it (although I was only trying to be helpful)

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

When we ordered our new Swift the dealer showed us on his computer exactly when it was getting built and the also expected delivery date. It came on time and he told us not to take our van in for part-ex until we collected our new one.

Kia Sorento XT & 2009 Swift Challenger 620

Very sensible advice. Administration happens to many businesses however honorable they are, many failures are caused by situations beyond the control of well meaning directors. To be cautious is not insulting to a business in fact they will probably respect you for it. ... Again excellent advice that should be well heeded.

don't think I ever suggested that the dealer was trying to "rip you off" - just that it could be a problem for you if they went out of business between the 2 transactions. if you are happy with the deal, I am very happy for you and will withdraw all the "confrontational" issue as you saw it (although I was only trying to be helpful)

Ivan - sorry it wasn't you I was referring to as being confrontational. I feel that we have to be positive in the present climate - if we see every single business as a potential bankrupt we will never get out of this hole we are all in. May be have a look at my post under CC insurance to see that trust can work two ways.

Jan

Edited by JanB

NE Scotland

Why is there a conflict between trusting a dealer you know and taking sensible precautions against the worst scenario?

It's great that you have a good relationship with your dealer, big or small, but they aren't going to tell you exactly how their finances are balanced - and indeed they don't know how supportive their bankers will be in future days, weeks or months. Profitable businesses are going into Receivership simply because their bankers won't extend their credit.

Taking your part exchange to the dealers before you take the new one away is exposing yourself to risk that can simply be avoided. In buying a new caravan you are supporting the caravan industry, taking unnecessary risks won't help them any more.

if we see every single business as a potential bankrupt"

To view all businesses as potential bankrupt has always been the essense of good credit risk management recession or no recession. Present times raise the risk potential. This is just sensible good practise not a negative behaviour; this type of approach always went on and will make no difference to any recovery.

Hi,

In the pesent financial climate I can understand people worrying as there's so much rumour flying about. I must admit that I was absolutely amazed when Discover said they would have a 'van for me in the following week, in fact I bought because of this. I did question the sales manager and he told me that they buy in the more popular 'vans when there are no customer orders as they know they will get sales because they can provide them within days if necessary.

On the previous three 'vans that we did order I can't remember any major, if any, hold ups,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

update. ..

well the day has come and gone we we should have had the new caravan, spoke to the dealer today to be told how unhappy they are with the manufacturer (not that this helps us any). now we are told it SHOULD be next wednesday when we get the caravan.