When On A Ferry Crossing With The Van.......

ScoobyWRX

. ..........do you put the jockey wheel down when you've parked up?

Thanks Paul

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

No way, knowing my lcuk I'd forget it was down and try to tow off the ferry and be the cause of much amusment etc.

I used to put the handbrake on but not any more.

I will unhook the 13 pin electrics because I'm a bit scared the ALKO ATC will drain the car battery.

I'll still have to make a note of it, so I don't forget that too

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

No. Can't think of a reason why you would.

Just thought about having that extra load on the back of the car for those extra hours?

No way, knowing my lcuk I'd forget it was down and try to tow off the ferry and be the cause of much amusment etc.

I used to put the handbrake on but not any more.

I will unhook the 13 pin electrics because I'm a bit scared the ALKO ATC will drain the car battery.

I'll still have to make a note of it, so I don't forget that too

Yeah, good point, would probably do the same :rolleyes:

Yes, I always unhook the electrics when stopped at services for any amount of time

Good idea. Don't think the ATC uses much at all but other things in your caravan will, such as the Satus aerial supply, heater fan or any lights you might have left on. With the engine off anything in your caravan is powered from the CAR battery.

Brian

The usual instructions from the ferry companies I have seen are :-

Vehicle handbrake on.

Vehicle left in gear.

Vehicle alarm off

Caravan handbrake on.

I also disconnect the 13 pin electric plug (Al-Ko ATC fitted).

Cannot see any need to lower the jockey wheel!

John.

I put handbrake on, disconnect electrics just in case you are delayed and cannot gain access to car deck.

I don,t do it myself but its probably a good idea to tie a handkerchief or something to the steering wheel as a reminder, but then I would forget what it was supposed to remind me of !!!

Just thought about having that extra load on the back of the car for those extra hours?

Probably less load than driving for the same amount of time? Wouldn't have thought it was really too much of a "dynamic" loading.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Whatever else. .Handbrakes on please. ....once exported some caravans to Holland and they had to grab discharge them at the other end as they had all run into each other. Same goes for a Truckline trip from Poole some years ago. ..a 'van in front of mine ploughed about three feet into a coach as car wasn't in gear and van didn't have handbrake on and ship was a'pitching!

rgds

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

On Condor Ferry to Jersey I was asked to put on hand brake AND turn off gas (No fridge working for 10 hour crossing)

Quote "AND turn off gas (No fridge working for 10 hour crossing)"

I believe it is illegal to leave any gas appliances lit during any ferry crossing, and anyone doing so should really think again, they would be putting everyones life in danger just for the sake of a cold fridge, which if cooled properly before the trip would stay cold anyway.

Would anyone planning a ferry trip and leaving their fridge on gas please let me know which ferry you are using so that I can book a different one.

Would anyone planning a ferry trip and leaving their fridge on gas please let me know which ferry you are using so that I can book a different one

Well said. ...you can't even go through the Tyne Tunnel with your gas on!

cheers

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

One of my first jobs before leaving any site is make sure the gas is turned OFF. Ever see a gas bottle fly if it catches fire ? I have and it's not a pretty site looking at what it hits in hundreds of pieces.

If it is turned off at the cylinder it needs a lot of heat to make it blow (Dads words retired fireman)

. ..........do you put the jockey wheel down when you've parked up?

Thanks Paul

Hi,

If you drop your jockey wheel, you are effectively making it part of the supension, but solid, back of the car, front of van cannot bounce.

Then, if the sea gets choppy. ............

OK, probably nothing to worry about, but it can't be doing much good.

On Condor Ferry to Jersey I was asked to put on hand brake AND turn off gas (No fridge working for 10 hour crossing)

Did Hull - Zeebrugge last year which is almost 15 hours. All we did was have all our freezer blocks freezing for a day before departure, then when we were waiting in the queue to get on ferry I jumped in van and moved them all into the fridge. Everything was still lovely and cold when we arrived next day.

And we put the handbrakes on (car and caravan :D )

2011 Volvo V50 drivE - Bailey Ranger 500/5

Also make sure that when you lock the car you don't use the remote fob as this would turn the alarm on. 12 hours of an alarm going off is going to take a lot of power out of your battery. The ferry company recommends that you lock the vehicle without activating the alarm.

David

I see all of the comments here but I always put the jockey wheel down to take the weight off the car. But NEVER leave the fridge running.

Every one to their own.

2018 Kia Sorento.            Elddis Capiro 554.

I see all of the comments here but I always put the jockey wheel down to take the weight off the car. But NEVER leave the fridge running.

Every one to their own.

Hi ROBH

As has been said earlier it is safest to have car and van (with handbrakes on) but steadies and jockey up

else the bouncing of the boat up through a dropped jockey will possibly damage something (not boat!).

If the car engine isn't running then the fridge really wont be working unless you have a really serious

wiring/relay problem.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Neil, I see your point will leave the jockey up in future, cheers Rob.

2018 Kia Sorento.            Elddis Capiro 554.

Also make sure that when you lock the car you don't use the remote fob as this would turn the alarm on. 12 hours of an alarm going off is going to take a lot of power out of your battery. The ferry company recommends that you lock the vehicle without activating the alarm.

David

All modern car alarms will only go off for around 20 minutes then they shut up, so you have no worry on that one.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

what do we do?

drive on to the position indicated

turn in wing mirrors [ people have a habit of bashing into them]

take out 13 pin plug [ we have the ATC and it is "live" while connected - possible drain]

make sure every thing is hidden from view.

close caravan blinds [usually on the dock side]

turn of gas in front locker [again usually on the dock side]

makes sure that lights are off on the car -- [one I year left side/ parking lights on]

walk around the car and caravan tap the windows to make sure they are shut.

lock the car with the key so that the alarm don't go of --[although it sounds for 20 mins it re sets and may go off again]

go up to the bar and get a pint !!

I don't do J/W or corners etc. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Well said. ...you can't even go through the Tyne Tunnel with your gas on!

cheers

geoff

But would you really want to travel with the gas on ????

Tugging a Bailey Senator Vermont Millennium

With a 1999 Vauxhall Frontera Diesel 2. 2 Automatic

Walk round van and car to look for any damage before leaving the ferry.

They won't be interested if you discover a ding in the aluminum at your first holiday over nighter. Caravans often share the freight decks where trucks can be chained and strapped to the deck meaning the crew and truckers are walking around with tools, wedges and heavy gear and accidents do happen.

Also I saw once saw a caravan roof caved in when someone moved away before they were told to by the deck crew as the hydraulic ramp had yet not been lifted properly! good start to their holiday.

We also put handbrake, unhook the cables and lock the vehicle with the key. Also either on dock or, if forgotten, before leaving the ferry stick the beam deflectors on. We never travel anywhere with the gas connected.

2008 Swift Challenger 540 towed with P reg diesel Discovery