Caravan Service

rascal

This months caravan club magazine is carrying adverts for skilled caravan sevice fitters/egineers. The advertiser is "nationwide leisureassist" and welcomes trained engineers and trainees. Obviously the advertiser has realised the caravan owner has to make an appointment with the dealer, drag his caravan to the dealer, leave it for a few days and then go back to fetch it later to have the yearly service. I have my own mobile engineer. He came last week, carried out the service, and inspected every inch of the van! I did'nt know the dealer last year had renewed the hub bilts with ones that did'nt say ALKO on them. I did'nt know that the dealer had replaced the fire thermostat that had dropped off and put it on back to front! I do now, and I've pencilled in a date for next year wih the same engineer. If you live in the northwest his name is Tradetech, well done!! I shall stick with him.

This months caravan club magazine is carrying adverts for skilled caravan sevice fitters/egineers. The advertiser is "nationwide leisureassist" and welcomes trained engineers and trainees. Obviously the advertiser has realised the caravan owner has to make an appointment with the dealer, drag his caravan to the dealer, leave it for a few days and then go back to fetch it later to have the yearly service. I have my own mobile engineer. He came last week, carried out the service, and inspected every inch of the van! I did'nt know the dealer last year had renewed the hub bilts with ones that did'nt say ALKO on them. I did'nt know that the dealer had replaced the fire thermostat that had dropped off and put it on back to front! I do now, and I've pencilled in a date for next year wih the same engineer. If you live in the northwest his name is Tradetech, well done!! I shall stick with him.

Would that be the same Tradetech who resides on the forum?

Edit: Just checked his signature and it seems it is the same person ;)

Edited by BaileyRangerMan

Bailey Ranger 510/4

& Skoda Octavia Elegance Estate 1. 9TDI

Various010-1.jpgmedia3_cropped-4.jpg

Not wishing to hijack this thread I'm also looking for a reliable fitter, in the East Sussex area. .....

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

http://www. mobilecaravanengineers. co. uk/mc. ..an-engineer. htm

GMC have a look here, look for Nigel Wilson, Wilson Caravan Services. local to you and an Approved Mobile Workshop

Excellent, thanks for that.

GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

anyone in Nottingham area?

Bobby

I use Nationwide Caravan Services, Sheffield they also fitted my powrtouch mover, they're handy because they're Mobile & approved (if you're interested Ill pm you their number)

As far as I know Tradetech doesn't come over to the dry side of the pennines :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I've contacted this guy and will be getting my van serviced at home in the next few weeks, he told me he covers an area from Norfolk to Eastbourne, luckily for me he is based about 5 miles from me. He is registered with the NCC and is authorised to carry out servicing on vans stiil under warranty. .................

http://www. awdcaravanservicing. co. uk/da/92521

Bailey Ranger 510/4

I've contacted this guy and will be getting my van serviced at home in the next few weeks, he told me he covers an area from Norfolk to Eastbourne, luckily for me he is based about 5 miles from me. He is registered with the NCC and is authorised to carry out servicing on vans stiil under warranty. .................

http://www. awdcaravanservicing. co. uk/da/92521

Does any one know a mobile fitter who covers Mid and North Wales; and would using such a guy invalidate the Bailey warranty ?

John

Does any one know a mobile fitter who covers Mid and North Wales; and would using such a guy invalidate the Bailey warranty ?

John

Have a look through this NCC list of approved service agents. .........

http://www. nationalcaravan. co. uk/images/ne. ..t%20_090319. pdf

Bailey Ranger 510/4

Servicing at home. ..............what a great idea.

I've had my Lunar serviced at a main dealer in the Midlands. It arrived back with dirt stains on the carpets, grease sprayed all over the legs and a sixteenth inch thick coating of grease all over the jockey wheel. Oh; and a complete greasy handprint on the rooftop aerial! It also required a new window seal as a result of a high damp reading adjacent to the nearside front window. It is, after all. a year old!

Had to return to the dealer for the new seal to be fitted. Total cost in fuel now £90. 00 for the two journeys plus two days out of my life hence any dealer/trader who can offer a decent home service will create a win/win situation. I'm tempted to provide a similar service myself as incompetency with a grease gun appears to be the only requirement.

Following the service and repair we set off for our first trip out this year. We waste our first full water supply as a result of the dealer turning the water supply off within the caravan and failing to turn it back on again. I then spend 30 minutes finely adjusting the demand valve to prevent chatter. All this was OK prior to the service. That done I refill the water supply and find a water leak under the caravan which is as a result of a flexible waste pipe parting company with a rigid pipe. The repair requires that I enjoy 15 minutes underneath my caravan.

What have I learnt from all of this?

Well, I still believe that my Lunar Lexon CSI was built by chimps. I now firmly believe that my fate is to carry out at least two repairs to my van each time I use it; but then everyone does this? I will not return my van to any dealer for future service. It will be done on my path or not at all. I accept the consequences regarding my ongoing warranty however I plan to buy myself a decent damp meter and monitor the van myself. Should it show signs of damp and or delamination then only then will I ever return to a dealer.

Regards

Vectra. .. and still unimpressed by the refusal of Lunar to participate in this site.

Hi Vectra.

"I'm tempted to provide a similar service myself as incompetency with a grease gun appears to be the only requirement. "

You could well be right, there is a mobile caravan "engineer"working my area and 9 months ago he was a lorry driver. I did a 5 year apprenticeship to become an "Engineer".

Steve W

Edited by Steve W77

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

What have I learnt from all of this?

Well, I still believe that my Lunar Lexon CSI was built by chimps. I now firmly believe that my fate is to carry out at least two repairs to my van each time I use it; but then everyone does this? I will not return my van to any dealer for future service. It will be done on my path or not at all. I accept the consequences regarding my ongoing warranty however I plan to buy myself a decent damp meter and monitor the van myself. Should it show signs of damp and or delamination then only then will I ever return to a dealer.

Regards

Vectra. .. and still unimpressed by the refusal of Lunar to participate in this site.

Famous last words! Just checking the van over following our return home last night. I've found cracks around the hinge point on one side of the front cover. My previous posts on the subject of the quality of build of my van will reveal the rubber seal being adrift from new together with difficulty in closing/locking the cover. Where does this end? One thing I'm certain about is that my next van is NOT a Lunar. Looks like back to the/a dealer for review of the problem then the interminable repairs.

LUNAR. ..is there anybody out there?

Regards

vectra

I'm in NW Leics and i use Charnwood caravan services, a Bailey approved engineer 07836 603668‎

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

• 2 months later...

Hi I have just had a service by a mobile fitter he was contracted to fit a Motor Mover for me so I got him to service a new to me second hand van I had just bought.

I must say I was very impressed with the way he went about the service,doing a very professional job,I was a bit sceptical about hiring someone working out of a van but he was very good explaining anything that was wrong.

So if you are in the Bristol area look out for Shire Caravans.

I've recently received a letter from a guy who obviously used to work for a Kent branch of Discover Leisure which has closed down since my van purchase.

He is offering mobile servicing/fitting but seems to be scare mongering a whee bit, and I quote. .............

"Please note that any vehicle/caravan that holds a valid warranty with Discover Leisure will have to be serviced by Discover Leisure and any issues relating thereto"

I wonder how much trade he's drummed up using that line!!

Edited by alexandjen

Bailey Ranger 510/4

I've recently received a letter from a guy who obviously used to work for a Kent branch of Discover Leisure which has closed down since my van purchase.

He is offering mobile servicing/fitting but seems to be scare mongering a whee bit, and I quote. .............

"Please note that any vehicle/caravan that holds a valid warranty with Discover Leisure will have to be serviced by Discover Leisure and any issues relating thereto"

I wonder how much trade he's drummed up using that line!!

Just a thought - don't Discover run a separate warranty scheme that applies to second hand vans?? He didn't say 'manufacturer's warranty' in his email and so may be correct - but even so it's a clever play on words to get the customer worried

Mike

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your kind comments Len (Rascal)

it says your based in north west. ...we are in cumbria. ..doesnt need serviced till november, but just looking at our options, the van usually goes to barrons (now discover) how much do you charge for twin axle and if we live to far away would you service it on a site? ta sian

it says your based in north west. ...we are in cumbria. ..doesnt need serviced till november, but just looking at our options, the van usually goes to barrons (now discover) how much do you charge for twin axle and if we live to far away would you service it on a site? ta sian

It could be a while before tradetech can answer you, he's down with swine flu at the moment.

I hope he gets well soon :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I have just had my van serviced by Caravanman from Brompton-on Swale, Richmond in North Yorkshire. He travelled 20 miles each way (no extra charge) and is NCC approved and is able to do warranty work. Details on NCC website.

I wasn't in attendance but my neighbour said he never stopped.

First service where I felt confident that the van had been done thoroughly - fully recommended

Ian

Edited by Newby

I have just had my van serviced by Caravanman from Brompton-on Swale, Richmond in North Yorkshire. He travelled 20 miles each way (no extra charge) and is NCC approved and is able to do warranty work. Details on NCC website.

I wasn't in attendance but my neighbour said he never stopped.

First service where I felt confident that the van had been done thoroughly - fully recommended

Ian

Hi Ian,

Was the engineer called Richard? If so he will get my servicing work, so long as he's approved, as he was the service manager at Ropers who really looked after us when we had our 'van from hell,

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.