Air Condition

cragpow

hello

we are going to italy this summer and we are considering fitting a air conditioning unit to the roof of our caravan, any advise on a type to fit would be helpful.

Has any body tried a portable aircon unit, the type you place in the van and plug in manually.

We have a twin wheel axle van.

cheers

Craig

Hi Craig,

If you want to fit a unit to the roof you need to find out if the roof has been strengthened to take the weight. I would guess that it hasn't but as many twin axle vans have a/c as standard it may have been done. You need to check with the manufacturer. One option is to use a unit that fits under a bed unit.

Something like these:

http://www. truma. com/_anweisungen/Truma-Ka. ..r/frostair. html

If you use a portable unit, don't forget you need to vent the warm air by hanging the duct out a window or such like. They are a bit cumbersome.

Also, most continental sites, especially Italy, only have a 3 or 5 amp supply and as these units are quite power hungry you may not be able to run it anyway.

Cheers,

Paul

[Also, most continental sites, especially Italy, only have a 3 or 5 amp supply and as these units are quite power hungry you may not be able to run it anyway/quote]

Think that is a good point Paul. ........

. .....and as someone who has been to Italy three or four times. ..why would you want to sit in a 'van with the air-con on?......Like France it is a great place just to get out and visit.

Enjoy your holidays though

cheers

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We have the Dometic unit fitted in our roof, it fits instead of the standard rooflight. Our roof was already strengthened . Expensive, around £1200, and quite heavy, 34kg apparently, so eats into the payload.

Only uses 4 amps, so ok on a 5 amp hook up. works well.

Edited by jennifernn

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

We've also got the Dometic but mounted independently of the rooflights. I think it uses more than 4amps on start-up cos ours often trips the breaker when it kicks on. Had quite a few complaints re: noise from adjacent vanners so cant run it at night even on the low setting. We got it as part of the 'show' deal when we bought the van. Would I buy another even at the reduced price? No, more bother than it's worth.

Craig

we have a Truma Frostair 1600 fitted below the the front n/s front seat in our Pageant Burgundy and it relatively quite and have run it continously at night with no complaints it has a digital control and allows you to preset the desired temperature it cost £1450 to have it fitted and takes 3. 5 amps to run and 4 amps on start up

It weighs approx 30kgs and i had the MTPLM uprated to compensate, because of the way it is fitted it can be removed easily if required and is easily serviced .

It may be more expensive than a roof mounted unit but underfloor mounting has its advantageous

we have a Truma Frostair 1600 fitted below the the front n/s front seat in our Pageant Burgundy and it relatively quite and have run it continously at night with no complaints it has a digital control and allows you to preset the desired temperature it cost £1450 to have it fitted and takes 3. 5 amps to run and 4 amps on start up

LOL Air Con and auto Sat TV !! Can we come and stay with you :lol:

We looked at air con before 3 weeks in Spain last year in August but could not find much kit we could use. Glad we didn't in the end as a couple of fans kept us cool at night as the temperature did cool off at night.

Like the sound of your auto sat kit too, although my 90cm Jodrell Bank manual kit does the job for us and I can get it all up and working in about 20 mins, was great watching the Olympics last year in the sunshine and your caravan :P

2011 Volvo V50 drivE - Bailey Ranger 500/5

[Also, most continental sites, especially Italy, only have a 3 or 5 amp supply and as these units are quite power hungry you may not be able to run it anyway/quote]

Think that is a good point Paul. ........

. .....and as someone who has been to Italy three or four times. ..why would you want to sit in a 'van with the air-con on?......Like France it is a great place just to get out and visit.

Enjoy your holidays though

cheers

geoff

Quite right Geoff. I was going to make the same point myself.